Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can isps cap the sync ?  (Read 2062 times)

SE

• Reg Member
Can isps cap the sync ?
« on: May 24, 2021, 09:48:28 PM »

Had OR out and he said that isps can cap the routers sync with the exchange

Is this true
I thought it was OR as lond as there was DSL signal is was not isp

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Can isps cap the sync ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 11:53:16 PM »

The ISP/CP buys a product from Openreach which has a defined synchronisation speed. The ISP/CP can then apply their own "throughput shaping" on the circuit. The ISP/CP does not have any control over the synchronisation speed.

Any mention of "the exchange" is irrelevant for a FTTC (ITU-T G.993.2, VDSL2) based circuit as the DSLAM is located in the "fibre cabinet", which is in the vicinity of the PCP (primary cross-connection point) through which your line, for telephony, transits.

I suspect the person, with whom you were talking, was just using generalities.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 01:50:45 AM »

As B*cat says, ISP's pick the OpenReach product.
On VDSL2 that's either 40/2, 40/10, 55/10 or 80/20.
OpenReach provision the line on that profile.
That's as much control as the ISP has.

OpenReach cap the sync rate to the product limit using a DLM profile.
The DLM can lower this cap if it detects instability.
This process is completely automated and the ISP cannot increase or decrease any cap placed on the line by the DLM.

Plusnet are able to run a GEA Test or an RTT test to see if the line has been banded by the DLM.
They are able to share these test results with you.
The Plusnet forum is usually good for requesting these types of tests.

Posting whatever stats are available on your current modem would help us diagnose any problems

Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

SE

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 08:18:17 AM »

Thanks guys

Had no internet for a day because the OR guy called saying the cab was a mess
after OR used contractors last week

But that wasnt the prob re speed

Before he came the ip line profile was 40000
A minute after he ran tests, it was 38000 and has not moved

The speed was 36 now its 34

With pn before re contract it was 57 then after re contract then 5 mins in droped to 36

The router said max line speed 62 then now 58

The OR guy said move to a llu difrent hardware and hinted its the isp

What do you guys think

Thanks  :fingers:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 08:34:28 AM by SE »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 08:29:41 AM »

With pn before re contract it was 57 then after econtract then 5 mins in droped to 36

That sounds like they have provisioned you on the 40/10 service instead of 80/20.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

SE

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 08:43:56 AM »

That sounds like they have provisioned you on the 40/10 service instead of 80/20.
 :)

Thats what ive been thinking
The speed dropped to 36 never over, and a pn guy admitted it, then said he'd removed it

The next guy denied it

The prob is, when i had a fault and looked at taltalk they said 1 up 20 down
Now 6u 35d a few weeks ago they said 15u 62d or 12u 57d

So do see a cap and just move fhe cap on

SE

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 09:05:52 AM »

On VDSL2 that's either 40/2, 40/10, 55/10 or 80/20.
OpenReach provision the line on that profile.
OpenReach cap the sync rate to the product limit using a DLM profile.

So its the isp
Im on a 10/40 at 36  :(

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 09:20:09 AM »

@SE you are jumping to conclusions about speeds and profiles by guessing with no convincing evidence. As has previously been asked in this thread provide the modem line stats which will show the actual connection speeds.

By the way did you get the unlocked OR modem working? The stats on the the web interface are a bit screwed up but I think it shows the sync speeds correctly. To get full stats you have to use a use a Telnet connection to the modem and use CLI commands.

SE

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 07:16:49 PM »

@SE you are jumping to conclusions about speeds and profiles by guessing with no convincing evidence. As has previously been asked in this thread provide the modem line stats which will show the actual connection speeds.

By the way did you get the unlocked OR modem working? The stats on the the web interface are a bit screwed up but I think it shows the sync speeds correctly. To get full stats you have to use a use a Telnet connection to the modem and use CLI commands.

:blush:
A funny thing happened with that
I plugged it in and nothing, its dead
Tried a different psu but nothing

It worked a year ago  :no:
So im getting a modem to plug in the the modem/routers wan port that shows better stats

Its just the poll box is on our wall and the line is arms lenth and it serves the row
with others getting 48,54 and the are further away

Also from 57 to 36 in five minutes of the new contract starting is not right
They also said i agreed to 36 in it, i didnt know anything about it

But got the stats but they are limited

The max rate moves up to 58 now, but before OR came out it was 62
The pn what you may get is from my account and has been like that for a long time
Only dropping when the cab had a fault, its back now

OR said the line was good with no tap (pn said there was)
Looking at the bt cab info it says the same no tap and clean 15/63 upto that is
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 07:58:08 PM by SE »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 08:56:38 PM »

With those limited stats, I would hazard a guess that your line might be interleaved (not G.INP). I don't believe your sync rate has been capped. I would expect something like 38,000Kbps or very slightly less if your downstream sync rate was being capped by DLM (dynamic line management), based on your current downstream sync rate. That's one of the reasons why the attainable rate can be higher, other times it can be simply because there's a sync rate cap that's been reached. Unfortunately without seeing the INP and delay values I can't confirm my theory for certain.

Also, I believe DLM these days now provisions new connections on the non-G.INP interleaved state, not fastpath (like it used to for ECI at least). If I'm correct, DLM will require a few days of stability (being in whatever DLM considers is good enough to allow a positive change to be made to the DSLAM configuration for your connection - e.g. fastpath, G.INP, SNRM adjustment, etc).

To clarify, interleaving can be applied on either the downstream, upstream or both. The main purpose is to help improve connection stability at the cost of a potentially increased latency (ping time) and a reduction in the sync rate. However, I'm not referring to G.INP when I say this.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 09:00:34 PM by Ixel »

SE

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 09:02:22 PM »

With those limited stats, I would hazard a guess that your line might be interleaved (not G.INP). I don't believe your sync rate has been capped. I would expect something like 38,000Kbps or very slightly less if your downstream sync rate was being capped by DLM (dynamic line management), based on your current downstream sync rate. That's one of the reasons why the attainable rate can be higher, other times it can be simply because there's a sync rate cap that's been reached. Unfortunately without seeing the INP and delay values I can't confirm my theory for certain.

Also, I believe DLM these days now provisions new connections on the non-G.INP interleaved state, not fastpath (like it used to for ECI at least). If I'm correct, DLM will require a few days of stability (being in whatever DLM considers is good enough to allow a positive change to be made to the DSLAM configuration for your connection - e.g. fastpath, G.INP, SNRM adjustment, etc).

Thanks for the feedback Ixel
Yes interleaving is on

Could the router be misleading and the 38000 be the sync

So if i get 36 now would that be a cap on the download?
I will get a modem or router asap
I cant seem to find a drayteck vigor modem for sale, i was looking at that or a Zyxel
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 09:10:30 PM by SE »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 09:07:10 PM »

Thanks for the feedback Ixel

So if i get 36 now would that be a cap on the download?

Possibly. On the other hand it might also just be a slight variation in what you're able to sync your connection at, at that moment in time, depending on factors such as time of day. If however it's something between 35,995 to 36,000Kbps then I would say there's an increased likelihood that your connection's downstream has now been capped at 36Mbps by DLM. At least based on past experience when I had FTTC, as well as engaging more on some forums regarding FTTC/VDSL2, that would be what I'd have thought. Another way to also sometimes identify if a connection has been capped at a certain rate is whether the SNR margin is fairly or perhaps significantly above 6 dB.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 09:09:21 PM by Ixel »

SE

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 09:14:55 PM »

Possibly. On the other hand it might also just be a slight variation in what you're able to sync your connection at, at that moment in time, depending on factors such as time of day. If however it's something between 35,995 to 36,000Kbps then I would say there's an increased likelihood that your connection's downstream has now been capped at 36Mbps by DLM. At least based on past experience when I had FTTC, as well as engaging more on some forums regarding FTTC/VDSL2, that would be what I'd have thought. Another way to also sometimes identify if a connection has been capped at a certain rate is whether the SNR margin is fairly or perhaps significantly above 6 dB.

the downstream the snr went to 6.2 and 7.2 if i remember correctly (not 100% as i didnt screenshot it)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2021, 09:29:31 PM »

the downstream the snr went to 6.2 and 7.2 if i remember correctly (not 100% as i didnt screenshot it)

If that's the case then there's a chance that DLM has now capped your downstream sync rate, due to identifying instability. Disconnecting the modem too often in a certain timeframe can cause this to happen, with the exception that if you leave it disconnected for at least 30 minutes then DLM shouldn't see it as instability. Getting DLM to remove an imposed sync rate cap can be quite difficult, at least I recall it being difficult when I had FTTC a long time ago.

A quick way, although it depends if the ISP's can still do this and whether both the ISP and Openreach approve such a request, is to request a DLM reset. However, given how new your connection is I doubt they would agree. There might be other conditions to requesting a DLM reset, but it's been a long time since I had FTTC so I'm not sure if that's possible or what the conditions are likely to be if it's possible... in a limited manner.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2021, 10:19:29 PM »

I'm with Ixel, those stats indicate the probability of Interleaving.  As he says, capped rates are usually spot on or a couple of kb below a rounded figure of 38,000 and not above.

- The  SNR Margin is at 6dB meaning there isn't anything left in the line to give a higher sync speed.

- If a line is interleaved most modems show a false & inflated max rate. The different code algorithm causes the modem to calculate the maximum rate correctly.  If interleaving were to be removed, then the max rate would be more in the region of 42500.

The engineer may have reset the DLM when he visited, in which case your line will be interleaved by default, so things may change over the next week as DLM finds the correct level. 

Seeing an increase of the SNRM up to 7.2db doesn't necessarily mean that the line is capped - unless that measurement is taken at the time of sync.    The actual default is 6.3dB and its possible that the line may vary by up to 1dB over the course of the day. The fact you are currently at 6dB indicates that you do have some sort of SNRM fluctuation and have 'lost' 0.3dB since your last sync.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: [1] 2

anything