Announcements > News Articles

Wifi passwords hacked?

(1/3) > >>

parkdale:
Oh dear... Some one (not house holder) has used their router to access naughty sites:(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57156799

After reading this, I know that a lot of BT routers have open BT Wifi Turned on by default, unless you know how to turn it off. Would this be a security risk?

tubaman:

--- Quote from: parkdale on May 23, 2021, 02:00:15 PM ---... I know that a lot of BT routers have open BT Wifi Turned on by default, unless you know how to turn it off. Would this be a security risk?

--- End quote ---

It is not 'open' as such as you either have to be a BT broadband customer or have paid to use it, so there is some degree of traceability. I would not be particularly concerned about it.

stevebrass:
The article mentioned tracing by IP address. If you don't have a static IP address, how would that work?

niemand:
Court order to the ISP compelling them to inform which customer had the IP in question at the time of the infraction.

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote ---"First, a hacker would need to 'crack' the wi-fi password - and if that hasn't been changed from the one written on a sticker on the side of the router, and the router is more than a year or two old - then it would take a matter of minutes to crack it," he said

That would allow the hacker on to a private individual's home network - although they would have to be within about 20 metres of the house.
--- End quote ---

If they're in a car sure, but clear line of sight I can still use my WiFi well into the local park 200-300m away.

--- Quote ---Second, to do anything particularly sinister on the home network, the hacker will need to change the router configuration. That needs the router admin password," explained Mr Munro.
--- End quote ---

Except they DIDN'T do anything sinister on the home network, they simply used their broadband to do something sinister which ONLY needed the WiFi password.

--- Quote ---So what I guess has happened here, is that the hacker has cracked the wi-fi password and then made changes to the router configuration, so their illicit activities on the internet appear to be coming from the innocent party.
--- End quote ---

Ummm no, you're talking p00, no modification of the router required here. Ken Munro, security consultant with Pen Test Partners seems to not have a clue what he is talking about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version