Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: traffic sharping control softwear wanted  (Read 3160 times)

Zanoma

traffic sharping control softwear wanted
« on: August 02, 2008, 02:28:13 PM »

Hi folks

Is there any freewear softwear for traffic sharpinging. I don't mind paying upto £80 pound

cheers alan.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: traffic sharping control softwear wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 04:43:09 PM »

Do you mean QoS (shaping the traffic on your own LAN)?

Some routers may have a very basic form of QoS, but it is basic.
If youre wanting software to put on a PC to control access, the most commonly used is NetLimiter, I used a copy of it on my daughters PC at one point to stop her traffic drowning out mine by allocating the bandwidth more fairly.
You used to be able to get free trial or older versions, but Im not sure if they still do that.
They do a fully free version of Netlimiter 2 Monitor - but that isnt what you want as it will only monitor and doesnt let you shape traffic.

--------

Added link to list of versions
http://www.netlimiter.com/featurelist.php

They still do a trial version of Netlimiter2 for 28 days - you could perhaps try it and see if its what you need first, then its $16.95 for lite or $29.95 for Pro

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Zanoma

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »

My router dont seem to have Quality of service yeah i tryed netlimiter b4 good program but was looking for some thing that can queue packets when it hits a limit donno  what thats called tbh 

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 02:00:01 AM »

As kitz has already said, Netlimiter is one option - from what you are saying you sound like you want something that prioritises certain applications (e.g. voip / web traffic have priority over P2P?)

It depends what you want to do, you may be able to achieve what you want with the applications you are already running?

If for example you are doing some bittorrenting.. most bittorrent clients will allow you to limit the upstream, and downstream, to avoid saturating your line. I use uTorrent, and it seems that the only way not to saturate your upstream is to set the upload limit to about 60% of your total upstream, because of the large numbers of connections that are open and the overhead associated with these too. These are the values I think I have used on various incarnations of ADSL:

Fixed rate ADSL (288kbps upstream) - 20KB/s limit
ADSL Max (448kbps upstream) - 30KB/s limit
Be (1.3Mbps upstream) - 80KB/s limit

Together with limiting the downstream speed, again to about 60% of your download speed, this seems to be pretty effective at letting me browse without really noticing the torrent running in the background. I don't use VoIP so can't tell you how well that manages to cope whilst BitTorrent is running

Doing a little bit of googling I've just found a freeware program called Traffic Shaper XP which MIGHT do the job. I haven't downloaded it and tried it, so I can't make any guarantees, and I'm not recommending it, just something I found that you might want to have a play with? Like I say, it might do what you want, and equally, it might not.

You could always go the whole hog and either get a router that supports QoS (I have no suggestions for such a router), or set up a spare PC as a router, using something like SmoothWall which will do QoS, allowing you to set the priority of various protocols as high/medium/low. This would require a dedicated PC to be left running 24/7.
Chris

anything