Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: FTTP to NDMSH (Minster On Sea) and NDSHE (Sheerness)  (Read 3267 times)

kjw

FTTP to NDMSH (Minster On Sea) and NDSHE (Sheerness)
« on: May 19, 2021, 08:20:16 PM »

Evening All,

Long time lurker, 1st time poster!

My area was one of the early Jan 2020 areas announced for FTTP under the Rural Market Towns + Villages program and thought others might be interested in the timeline (I noted a few other areas have a similar thread going)

Ever since we was announced I have been an avid watcher of roadworks.org (not so much now they have nuked the detail the gits!) and the local neighbourhood watch on contractor activity around our footway boxes once things started happening :)

We currently have 3! FTTC cabinets all neatly lined up in a row (and yet we still have a never ending waiting list) so FTTP really cannot come too soon for us here.

The timeline from what I have witnessed where I live is as follows;

Late September: Initial surveying being completed where a lot of OR guys were down each footway box checking against a tablet (guessing checking routes?)
October-December: All ducts were fitted with blue rope by a 3rd party contractor
January-February: CBT's and splitters installed into the footway boxes by the same contractor

Then it went very quiet! Until late April where a lot of splicing activity was seen at the various splitters across the area as well as another contactor installing blue ropes from each property to the CBT locations via the ducting (mine was actually blocked, but someone came back out and managed to clear it, phew!)

Most recently I have seen OR back (first time in a while) who have been spending time at each splitter (possibly inspecting the work of the previous contractors?) and also some light testing being carried out at a few CBT's.

I am hoping (at least for our new build area) that we are getting close and the PON(s) are in the final commissioning/test phase (*** *** is mine) if anyone in the know has info to add I would definitely appreciate the update :)

I should add that both exchange areas have had a LOT of work done, outside of our new build estate most of the poles (around Minster at least) are now sporting a CBT so looks like at least in this area they are going for a pretty blanket coverage!

I will keep this thread updated as I notice things start to go live in case anyone else locally is interested.

For me this is going to be one of those big step changes, I will always remember going from dialup to 2mb ADSL, then from that to ADSL2, then for the last 10 years FTTC.

Bring it on.

-K
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 04:30:42 PM by kjw »
ZEN 900/100 via pfSense | Unifi AC-HD WiFi
Speed Test | BQM Graph

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: FTTP to NDMSH (Minster On Sea) and NDSHE (Sheerness)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 11:01:45 PM »

Welcome, as an active member!  :)

I have made an addition to your Subject line, (Sheerness), to assist those who are not well-versed in all the Openreach exchange areas.

Thank you for posting a synopsis of the installation work, to date. I am always interested to read such reports, as are other members.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kjw

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 09:55:22 AM »

Welcome, as an active member!  :)

I have made an addition to your Subject line, (Sheerness), to assist those who are not well-versed in all the Openreach exchange areas.

Thank you for posting a synopsis of the installation work, to date. I am always interested to read such reports, as are other members.

Oops missed that! Cheers.

Yeah I have learnt a lot from reading other peoples threads and experiences, not sure what I will do with my time once I actually have it :)

Interestingly CityFibre have now also added us to their phase2 roll out plans.. not sure why the sudden interest but hey can only be a good thing!

20/5 - MJ Quinn have been doing light testing on my actual CBT this morning... hope it went well :P
21/5 - Tracker updated to 1000/220
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 07:29:36 AM by kjw »
Speed Test | BQM Graph

dontasciime

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 08:01:44 PM »

Can I ask which tracker that might be as They tested light loss 3 or 4 weeks ago here and there is nothing seemingly happening now. I fear there is a problem maybe the ECI cab is being pulled or  or the ultrafast checker and wholesale checker might not be the place to check

kjw

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 08:20:45 PM »

Just the standard BT checker, it changed from the default 330/30 to 1000/220 normally indicating someone has touched a record hopefully meaning all went well!

Interestingly its only my street, the one leading off it and a whole cluster 5 streets away that has updated, yet I know CBT's are in the chambers across the rest of the estate as well.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 08:23:47 PM by kjw »
Speed Test | BQM Graph

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 08:29:16 PM »

Moved from FTTP on demand to native FTTP.

dontasciime

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 08:31:01 PM »

Thanks that is the one I've been using and checking daily for over 4 weeks :)

It's right outside my window on the pole that supplies my address

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 08:50:08 PM »

You will know when it becomes available when it shows WBC FTTP 1000/220
Remember that the 'Cabs' have nothing to do with FTTP, in my case the fibre is connected to an exchange 12 miles away and not my local one 3 miles away.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 12:36:38 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

dontasciime

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 09:02:19 PM »

Really. I assumed it passed through fibre cab on circuit (eg where the fibre that supplies FTTC but then hooks up to over ground poles connection)  for delivering over Poles eg bypassing copper cab : I know nothing like you lot though :)

Well I know what the checker will show when it is available  to order
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 09:08:30 PM by dontasciime »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 02:30:57 AM »

Really. I assumed it passed through fibre cab on circuit (eg where the fibre that supplies FTTC but then hooks up to over ground poles connection)  for delivering over Poles eg bypassing copper cab : I know nothing like you lot though :)

It passes through the same fibre aggregation nodes the cabinets connect to, but not actually the cabinets themselves.

This means that some time down the line they can remove all cabinets completely.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dontasciime

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 10:54:10 AM »

That was how i understood they connected

So looking back I don't know why I mentioned the ECI cab

I wish it would hurry up though 47Mbps throughput today after an overnight drop
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 10:58:29 AM by dontasciime »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2021, 02:43:51 PM »

At OP - got your PM - your PON has literally just been commissioned.

The 'grey area' now, is the time it takes to become CRFS (Customer Ready For Service). However that pans out though, you are at the end of the road where the FTTP build is concerned you lucky beggar.  :)

kjw

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2021, 03:16:21 PM »

At OP - got your PM - your PON has literally just been commissioned.

The 'grey area' now, is the time it takes to become CRFS (Customer Ready For Service). However that pans out though, you are at the end of the road where the FTTP build is concerned you lucky beggar.  :)

Appreciate the confirmation Black Sheep, your efforts are appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to check :)

As you say now just the wait to see if they wait on the rest of the estate PONS to be tested before releasing them all in one go!
Speed Test | BQM Graph

kjw

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2021, 07:17:16 AM »

26/5 - We are live in the first postcodes, which includes mine :) Order placed!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 07:20:36 AM by kjw »
Speed Test | BQM Graph

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2021, 12:33:01 PM »

Crikey - that was quick to go to CRFS !!

Enjoy.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything