Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: FTTP to NDMSH (Minster On Sea) and NDSHE (Sheerness)  (Read 3315 times)

kjw

Re: FTTP to NDMSH (Minster On Sea) and NDSHE (Sheerness)
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2021, 02:47:26 PM »

Still a RED LOS light as it stands so we may meet again! Luckily I know the fibre is good as he fired the port up remotely with his laptop to get the light reading... but the port shut itself off again after a few minutes due to it not being configured for service yet.

The journey is over! LOS light just changed to solid green and PPPoE session came straight up :) Welcome to the fast lane!
ZEN 900/100 via pfSense | Unifi AC-HD WiFi
Speed Test | BQM Graph

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2021, 03:40:59 PM »

The journey is over! LOS light just changed to solid green and PPPoE session came straight up :) Welcome to the fast lane!

What?  No obligatory speed test? ;)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kjw

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2021, 03:55:22 PM »

Haha was going to add one later, third world problems I know but only able to pull max speed from my own dedicated server! The speedtest.net servers are all over the place at the moment.

I do have a pretty graph direct from the router - https://pasteboard.co/K4UbR4J.png :)

Now its all sorted I guess its time to speak to PN about ceasing the last PSTN line.... end of an era!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 04:08:55 PM by kjw »
Speed Test | BQM Graph

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2021, 08:57:34 PM »

Yeah I think I will move mine to AAISPs VoIP service once I get FTTP (as its not tied to an ISP right now).

I was considering just putting it on sipgate but as my mum uses the landline when she wants to make a long call and isn't sure if she has enough credit on her phone, it makes more sense to keep it on a billing system rather than top-up credit.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kjw

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2021, 07:02:02 AM »

So it turns out when you have gigabit speeds a virtualised router is not what you need! Moved pfSense to bare metal and now hitting the top speeds :) also reduced ping by 5ms!

https://www.speedtest.net/result/11523216640
Speed Test | BQM Graph

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2021, 04:24:01 PM »

So it turns out when you have gigabit speeds a virtualised router is not what you need!

Ah, I had failed to notice that small point.  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mccltd

• Just arrived
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2022, 11:19:30 AM »

Hi,
I'm currently looking at buying a new build on the new minster beach development located inbetween southsea avenue and scarborough drive.
Trouble is looking at those roads they only appear to be getting a maximun of about 65mbp.
Is this correct and do you know if their are plans to increase this shortly?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2022, 01:28:01 PM »

Hi,
I'm currently looking at buying a new build on the new minster beach development located inbetween southsea avenue and scarborough drive.
Trouble is looking at those roads they only appear to be getting a maximun of about 65mbp.

With my limited vision of other areas, I can tell you that Minster has had most of its PON's surveyed back around the middle of last year .... under the 'Rural FTTP Programme'.

The area you are looking at falls under the 'New sites FTTP programme', which will automatically have FTTP installed as default.

kjw

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2022, 02:24:58 PM »

So it turns out when you have gigabit speeds a virtualised router is not what you need! Moved pfSense to bare metal and now hitting the top speeds :) also reduced ping by 5ms!

https://www.speedtest.net/result/11523216640

Due to posting in another topic regarding this, turns out you needed to pass through the NIC to allow proper performance (which I am now doing)

Hi,

As mentioned above there is no way this new development will be anything but full fibre... my brother in law lives in Southsea Ave and has a CBT but is not live just yet.. cant imagine it will be long though as 75% of households are now live.

I have been feeding postcodes to TBB since the rollout started, as you can see its quite advanced now! Its pretty much just that area of Minster that is still waiting.

https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/broadband-map#14/51.4300/0.8020/geafttp/
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 02:29:45 PM by kjw »
Speed Test | BQM Graph
Pages: 1 2 [3]