Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: FTTP to NDMSH (Minster On Sea) and NDSHE (Sheerness)  (Read 3266 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: FTTP to NDMSH (Minster On Sea) and NDSHE (Sheerness)
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2021, 01:18:06 PM »

Is there perhaps some merit to having people order while they are still working in the area, such as more fibre engineers around to do the installs?  Or would that be entirely different contractors?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kjw

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2021, 03:40:26 PM »

Crikey - that was quick to go to CRFS !!

Enjoy.

Not going to complain! Around 50% of the estate flipped this morning so guessing the rest wont be far behind.

Is there perhaps some merit to having people order while they are still working in the area, such as more fibre engineers around to do the installs?  Or would that be entirely different contractors?

Not sure it will make a difference, all the guys knocking around have plenty to do with regards installing the infrastructure.

I guess all the new CE's they have been recruiting will now get something to do :) Around here at least they are going big guns and installing on pretty much every street in the 2 exchange areas, that's a lot of fibre installs eventually. Interestingly we have a lot of GFast that went live a few years back, seems a waste now :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 03:46:06 PM by kjw »
ZEN 900/100 via pfSense | Unifi AC-HD WiFi
Speed Test | BQM Graph

kjw

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2021, 05:25:40 PM »

Had the fibre and ONT (Huawei) installed today, bit of an anti climax as currently waiting for the red LOS light to go...

The engineer was able to get it fired up in test for a light check (-14.7db) but seemingly there is some configuring to be done as it turns back off again.

That being said happy to see fibre in the house for the first time! :)

PON went live on Wednesday, and installed today.. definitely cant fault that for good service!

Just need my ISP order to catch up now as Zen are still showing waiting for KCI-2!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 05:43:33 PM by kjw »
Speed Test | BQM Graph

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2021, 06:56:39 PM »

Had the fibre and ONT (Huawei) installed today, bit of an anti climax as currently waiting for the red LOS light to go...

Congratulations. Was it an Openreach engineer or a sub-contractor?

. . . Zen are still showing waiting for KCI-2!

Isn't that just a marker which means "Keep Customer Informed, step 2"?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kjw

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2021, 07:37:37 PM »

Congratulations. Was it an Openreach engineer or a sub-contractor?

A couple of very nice Openreach chaps.

Instead of watching for workmen and roadworks I am now on PON light watch haha.
Speed Test | BQM Graph

kjw

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2021, 01:38:46 PM »

I meant to add that had an interesting chat with one of the guys yesterday, due to the island nature of where we live (there are 2 road bridges) they have had to use a SHE in the local exchange rather than running back to the main head end exchange in Sittingbourne (like some of the earlier FTTP deployments all ready live do)

This was due to a lack of fibre running between the headend and the local area (only around 10-15km in distance) but guessing it would have been much more expensive to get a new fibre spine over the bridge or under the water :)

I wonder what this will do for eventual exchange closure later down the line though.

@Black Sheep: Is this a regular thing, or more an exception due to the geography?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 02:04:52 PM by kjw »
Speed Test | BQM Graph

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2021, 04:13:54 PM »

. . . due to the island nature of where we live (there are 2 road bridges) they have had to use a SHE in the local exchange rather than running back to the main head end exchange in Sittingbourne (like some of the earlier FTTP deployments all ready live do)

It's been a long while since I last visited that part of Kent and I am struggling to remember the local topography.  ::)

Edit: Ah, yes. The A249. (Silly cat.)  :-[
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 04:18:06 PM by burakkucat »

kjw

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2021, 04:44:14 PM »

Edit: Ah, yes. The A249. (Silly cat.)  :-[

That's the one! I did wonder about the qty of fibres available as they are enabling pretty much the entire island (Sheerness/Minster) and they have now announced Eastchurch and Leysdown to complete the set by 2026.

I just wonder as to their long term plan as we have 4 exchanges covering those 4 areas, I wonder if the longer term plan is to consolidate all into 1 and close the other 3 to keep the subtended head end housed.. all interesting stuff regardless :)
Speed Test | BQM Graph

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2021, 05:45:37 PM »

I just wonder as to their long term plan as we have 4 exchanges covering those 4 areas, I wonder if the longer term plan is to consolidate all into 1 and close the other 3 to keep the subtended head end housed..

Interesting, as you say, and all will become clear closer to the time. (Or when it happens!)  ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2021, 06:56:15 PM »

I meant to add that had an interesting chat with one of the guys yesterday, due to the island nature of where we live (there are 2 road bridges) they have had to use a SHE in the local exchange rather than running back to the main head end exchange in Sittingbourne (like some of the earlier FTTP deployments all ready live do)

@Black Sheep: Is this a regular thing, or more an exception due to the geography?

HE's and future Exchange closures are not my 'thang', I'm afraid. But the limited knowledge I have of SHE's ... I always thought they were installed at the Cab box utilising existing fibre, not the Exchange ?? 

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2021, 07:00:22 PM »

I always thought they were installed at the Cab box utilising existing fibre, not the Exchange ?? 

That's also my understanding.
Possibly connected to a cabinet right outside the exchange.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2021, 07:06:09 PM »

That's also my understanding.
Possibly connected to a cabinet right outside the exchange.

I personally couldn't see that scenario occurring, tbh j0hn. The SHE's are deployed where there's a lack of spine fibres .... usually this would be on a veeery long run and/or having to avoid bespoke situations like the bridge mentioned in this post.

Running extra capacity from the Exchange cable-chamber to a Cab just outside said Exchange would cost pennies and easily achievable.  :)

kjw

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2021, 09:15:35 PM »

I personally couldn't see that scenario occurring, tbh j0hn. The SHE's are deployed where there's a lack of spine fibres .... usually this would be on a veeery long run and/or having to avoid bespoke situations like the bridge mentioned in this post.

Running extra capacity from the Exchange cable-chamber to a Cab just outside said Exchange would cost pennies and easily achievable.  :)

I find all this kind of stuff fascinating, if he ends up coming back ill see what else I can find out :)

Still a RED LOS light as it stands so we may meet again! Luckily I know the fibre is good as he fired the port up remotely with his laptop to get the light reading... but the port shut itself off again after a few minutes due to it not being configured for service yet.
Speed Test | BQM Graph

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2021, 11:06:37 PM »

Still a RED LOS light as it stands so we may meet again! Luckily I know the fibre is good as he fired the port up remotely with his laptop to get the light reading... but the port shut itself off again after a few minutes due to it not being configured for service yet.

It's probable that the OLT port (to which the PON, of which your ONT is one member, is connected) will just need flipping from "testing mode" to "in service mode". Basically a few simple computer mouse clicks by the right person.

kjw

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2021, 09:40:22 AM »

It's probable that the OLT port (to which the PON, of which your ONT is one member, is connected) will just need flipping from "testing mode" to "in service mode". Basically a few simple computer mouse clicks by the right person.

Yeah that's pretty much what the OR guy said when he attended, he could put it in test mode but the port had not yet been put into service (mine was the first install) and he needed some kind of number to get it done. Anyway its with the right people, see what happens Tuesday when everyone is back at work :)
Speed Test | BQM Graph
Pages: 1 [2] 3