Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Do I need more?  (Read 699 times)

SmallGee

• Just arrived
Do I need more?
« on: May 18, 2021, 02:38:16 PM »

I have FTTC with 46ish down, 13 up. But according to my router I don't use even that much. Is this graph telling me I don't need gigabit? Or am I misunderstanding? I though I up and downloaded quite a lot.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Do I need more?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 03:45:32 PM »

The graph is an average, so its somewhat misleading.  However do you need Gigabit?  Depends entirely on if you don't mind waiting for downloads and the assumption your habits won't change.

I for one do not use cloud storage because uploading files takes too long, however with 110Mbit or even Gigabit uploads, that could very well change as having a remote backup of important files seems like a good idea.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 09:05:48 PM »

Need, no, none of us do.

Want? Do you think the extra speed is worth the money? That's a value judgement only you can make.

SmallGee

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 11:21:30 AM »

OK, so do I need to want or want to need?  :-\

Asking because I don't seem to be using what I have. I'm never 'saturating' the connection. I thought I would be with all the down/uploading I do (cloud etc). But you're saying that's not really what the graph is saying?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 11:38:28 AM »

That’s quite a low-res graph, so there could be narrow, ie short duration, spikes where it’s going up to some higher level. So the graph could be deceptive. I’m expecting that if you did a speed test, where clearly the connection will be maxed out in one or both directions, that it won’t even show up on such a graph.

If you’re doing live streaming then the speed will be decided upon by the server which sends at whatever rate it chooses, not at the full speed of your connection.

If you’re thinking about more speed, then clearly you do want it, so go for it.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 02:34:22 PM »

OK, so do I need to want or want to need?  :-\

Both :)

Why not move to say 300 and if you like it but need to go faster upgrade from there?

I really can't judge - see my signature.

anything