Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ASUS DSL-AX82U - Warning: No G.FAST  (Read 1481 times)

smallal

• Reg Member
ASUS DSL-AX82U - Warning: No G.FAST
« on: May 17, 2021, 08:46:49 PM »

As this model is now arriving in the shops I just thought I'd mention that it doesn't support G.FAST
I almost pre-ordered one from Amazon as they clearly state that it does work on G.Fast lines.
Quote: ASUS DSL-AX82U Wi-Fi Gigabit Modem Router, G.Fast/Vplus 35b/VDSL/Fiber/ADSL 2+
However I couldn't see it mentioned in the spec. on the ASUS website so I thought I'd better check.
A quick email to ASUS confirmed that Amazon are telling porkies, so beware!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 08:52:29 PM by smallal »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: ASUS DSL-AX82U - Warning: No G.FAST
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 09:48:55 PM »

Not the first time I've seen someone mistake VDSL profile 35b for G.Fast.

Thanks for the warning

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 02:43:19 AM »

To be fair, its highly recommended to avoid ASUS DSL routers anyway as their modem chipsets are usually crap.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 08:26:06 AM »

@Alex Atkin I don't think you can rule them all out. Some do have Broadcom modem chipsets and are considered to be good devices. :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 10:43:11 AM »

@Alex Atkin I don't think you can rule them all out. Some do have Broadcom modem chipsets and are considered to be good devices. :)

Problem is, this information is never advertised so it takes someone dismantling them to read the chips or hack the firmware.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 01:11:27 PM »

I would never ever recommend a DSL model of Asus to anyone.

The only Asus DSL modem with a half decent chipset got about 5 minutes of support from Asus.
The DSL-AC88U hasn't had any firmware updates since 2018 and is now officially discontinued.

I still receive frequent firmware updates on my 8 year old RT-AC68U.

It's completely different teams within Asus who work on the RT models than who work on the DSL models.

The RT (router only) models are excellent.
The DSL (integrated modem) models make great doorstops.

Find me someone with the DSL-AC88U who doesn't regret purchasing it.
The owners thread on ukteckhub was FILLED with bugs Asus were working on (some present since device launch) when they randomly pulled the plug on support.

It has been left with no working multicast, a horrible 5Ghz bug and intermittent crashes
There's a ridiculous number of memory leaks meaning if you are lucky to get to 2 weeks uptime without utilisation hitting 100% and crippling the device then you're doing well.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 01:19:19 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM