Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Continuous Speed Test Software Tool  (Read 4558 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Continuous Speed Test Software Tool
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2021, 04:57:45 PM »

Knowledge base article I wrote was used.

Is your article publicly available, please? If yes, then I'm sure that quite a few of us would be interested in taking a look . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2021, 05:42:37 PM »

I have uninstalled this software from pc, laptop and my mobile no need it.  :thumbs:

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2021, 06:59:31 AM »

Is your article publicly available, please? If yes, then I'm sure that quite a few of us would be interested in taking a look . . .

It is not: internal to assist our support folks, sorry. I'll copy/paste it next time I'm 'in' work.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2021, 04:20:32 PM »

It is not: internal to assist our support folks, sorry. I'll copy/paste it next time I'm 'in' work.

Thank you. (Felines are always curious.)

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2021, 07:38:33 AM »

Please be aware of 'Continuous Bandwidth Tester' - http://startrinity.com/InternetQuality/ContinuousBandwidthTester.aspx

The FAQ - http://startrinity.com/InternetQuality/ContinuousSpeedTesterFAQ.aspx - should tell you all you need to know. It appears to be shelled iPerf to random servers and even other users of the application on a peer to peer basis introducing a huge number of uncontrollable variables. Reports from residential users indicate it producing results lower than they would expect, which may have many causes.

Strongly recommend any time you guys see this, hopefully never, disregarding any results and pointing out to customers that it uses ‘multiple various servers around the world’ so there’s zero way of knowing where a bottleneck may be – testing between New York and Singapore has a few more variables entirely outside of the control of us, ISPs and indeed their ISPs than an iPerf across a fabric over the same connectivity provider.

This application cannot produce a representative view of the experience our customers will see in normal business operations. It cannot test overlay networks properly and I cannot see a legitimate use for it beyond for curiosity value - even then it would be very hard for it to satiate that curiosity with accuracy.

For performance across a fabric the in-house iPerf test is the way to go. For performance to the Internet directly the gold standard remains iPerf to a server under control and monitoring of the user. For performance testing of backhauled traffic iPerf across a fabric incorporating a cloud platform. Alongside these reports from the regular telemetry suites and UX should work.

For larger providers with extensive residential arms likely to have Netflix caches and for simplicity https://fast.com can be useful as a very basic confirmation of Internet bandwidth but, as per, keep the test relevant to what is being tested and eliminate as many variables as possible.

Lastly, running a tool like this may cause issues where QoS is misconfigured. Intentionally saturating with pointless traffic that may have been configured to be high priority as it could be considered telemetry will both degrade lower priority traffic and degrade the quality of the telemetry being produced. Even if not run constantly when it is run if set too close to circuit saturation levels it will generate microbursts that may cause issues with local QoS and buffering on directly connected upstream devices.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2021, 03:35:21 PM »

Thank you for posting a copy of your article, Carl. Hopefully it will be a sufficient warning for any of our members who might, in the future, (re-)discover that flawed "tester".

Pages: 1 [2]