Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Continuous Speed Test Software Tool  (Read 4556 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
Continuous Speed Test Software Tool
« on: May 16, 2021, 01:22:10 PM »

I ran this continuous speed test software tool. Can be use in Windows, Linux and Android mobile. Download of 69Mbps and Upload of 11Mbps

Seem Windows not running full speed in real test only 69/11

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
Re: Continuous Speed Test Software Tool
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 01:43:01 PM »

Whats it called ? Might test it out myself.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 01:51:54 PM »

Will get the link for you later when I get back home

adslmax

• Kitizen

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 08:30:10 PM »

See the FAQ it downloads and uploads at the same time so you will get different speeds than other tests.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 01:37:59 AM »

I really don't see the logic in this unless you are trying to diagnose speed issues at certain times of the day.

You are effectively voluntarily making your connection unusable on a regular basis by downloading/uploading pointless data.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 02:22:56 AM »

I really don't see the logic in this unless you are trying to diagnose speed issues at certain times of the day.

You are effectively voluntarily making your connection unusable on a regular basis by downloading/uploading pointless data.

You can adjust various things like download/upload with a pause. I am testing every 15 mins all day. Download /upload is low. Shame there are no graphs.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 07:48:53 AM »

... I am testing every 15 mins all day...

As per @Alex Atkin UK, why would you want to do that unless trying to diagnose a specific issue. If too many people do this it'll just clog the backhaul system and nothing will work well.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 08:51:06 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 10:12:08 AM »

I really don't understand the point of running this.

I'm aware of people who wrote scripts to achieve the same aim.

Looking for issues when there are none and degrading your own connection periodically seems crazy. Samknows runs at quiet times, this doesn't. It's unreliable due to actual, you know, use of the connection as something other than a speed tester, and disruptive to those actual uses.

Anyone using Zoom, etc, VoIP or gaming will notice degradation.

Just... Why? Who cares?

EDIT: Incidentally I note mention of P2P network in the servers list. This is running iPerf to a bunch of destinations and using your machine as one of those to measure performance to others.

Just in case that had been missed.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:16:35 AM by CarlT »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 12:40:33 PM »

I've had the opportunity to have a look at this tool - for professional reasons actually, as customers may think it's a good idea to use it then raise issues with us.

http://startrinity.com/InternetQuality/ContinuousSpeedTesterFAQ.aspx

I'm now writing a knowledge base article to indicate to any less technical customers why using this as a measuring tool for, well, anything is a bad idea.

Thank you, Max, for pointing this out to us. I can save some of our support guys some time in the future.

https://iperf.fr between two endpoints you control is a far better idea. I can't say I envy anyone dealing with support calls from customers complaining about this tool reporting poor speeds when it ends up that they're testing between London and Singapore.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 01:11:42 PM »

I've fired up iperf3 on my VPS every now and again to check single-threaded speeds.  I can't see how testing against unknown servers is all that helpful.  Speedtest.net only get away with it due to the sheer volume of servers, even there its becoming less and less useful as people get Gigabit and the servers remain constrained on 10Gbit links.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 08:59:40 AM »

The servers are just software on the Ookla side so can be easily upgraded as required. Most will have multiple 10G ports that can be aggregated.

A 4 lane PCI-E 4 card has more than enough capacity for 40G or 4 x 10G and storage is irrelevant for these purposes. 😊

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 10:40:00 AM »

The servers are just software on the Ookla side so can be easily upgraded as required. Most will have multiple 10G ports that can be aggregated.

A 4 lane PCI-E 4 card has more than enough capacity for 40G or 4 x 10G and storage is irrelevant for these purposes. 😊

They can, but last I checked their rules were that to be valid as a 1Gigabit test server it only need a minimum of 10Gbit, and its not at all clear if/how they detect the usage of a server to ensure its hitting one with enough spare capacity.  I believe you yourself said in the past they can be very hit and miss on fast connections?

It just seems to me that residential speeds are increasing faster than server backhaul can be, so if people test too often then the chance of hitting a server with insufficient capacity is fairly high.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 10:46:46 AM »

Yes, if people test obsessively then the whole thing comes tumbling down.

A fair few servers will end up closed off to preserve performance, reduce tests and maintain accuracy.

The ones I use are either not really widely known about or have a location that benefits me. Thankfully I only use them to test load balancing, check if there are issues and to annoy people.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2021, 11:21:54 AM »

Knowledge base article I wrote was used. Customer used this software and pointed at our software as the cause of the lower than expected performance.

A test to a known good cloud service produced the expected results. Happy days and thanks again for mentioning this.
Pages: [1] 2