Announcements > News Articles

BT's $700 Million Job to Rip-And-Replace Huawei 5G Begins

(1/2) > >>

Bowdon:
I've not noticed this story posted anywhere else so far. Sadly it seems to be behind a paywall. There is a good informative video at the top of the page.

BT's $700 Million Job to Rip-And-Replace Huawei 5G Begins Here
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-14/bt-s-700-million-job-to-rip-and-replace-huawei-5g-begins-here

--- Quote ---Telecom engineers in hard hats and fluorescent jackets spent a decade scaling buildings to install Huawei Technologies Co. equipment across the U.K. Now, starting atop the Muswell Court tower block in Hull, they’re beginning a seven-year and $700 million task of ripping it all down because of a U.S.-led campaign against the Chinese company.
--- End quote ---

So it seems like BT/OR are having a super busy next few years.

j0hn:

--- Quote from: Bowdon on May 15, 2021, 09:36:12 PM ---So it seems like BT/OR are having a super busy next few years.

--- End quote ---
BT Group/EE will be busy. Not so much OR.

I don't believe any of OpenReach's fixed line Huawei kit is affected.

kitz:
Good link thanks.
Wasn't aware it also affected the 4G equip but I suppose it makes sense.

--- Quote ---That’s because the first generation of 5G is woven inextricably into 4G, and Huawei equipment is not interoperable with equivalents from its rivals.
--- End quote ---

Ouch!

--- Quote ---It’s a costly exercise, too: BT’s set aside 500 million pounds ($701 million) to pay for replacement kit from Nokia and Ericsson AB. The U.K.’s Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said the ban would delay Britain’s 5G roll out by as many as three years and cost the industry 2 billion pounds overall.
--- End quote ---

-----

--- Quote --- Sadly it seems to be behind a paywall.
--- End quote ---

I can view it.. but I have their cookies set to 'decline all' otherwise it only lets you read a limited amount of articles.   You have to remember to do this each time you visit otherwise if you just hit the default the you get restricted to something like just  one free content item.  Alternatively clear cookies?   Even so you still get an overlay nag screen after you scroll down too far to the next item :/ 

Alex Atkin UK:
Seems disgusting it would cost the industry anything.  A government ban should be paid for by the government.

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: Alex Atkin UK on May 17, 2021, 01:55:42 AM ---A government ban should be paid for by the government.

--- End quote ---

And one at the behest of the USA should be paid for by the USA.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version