Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ookla speed test results in forum signatures.  (Read 19152 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Ookla speed test results in forum signatures.
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2021, 06:18:56 PM »

My take is that signatures are essential on support forums.

I agree.
However sometimes they can just be absolutely huge and unnecessary.
A text signature is sufficient, with a text link to any graphs/images/BQM's.

I recall a thread in the last couple years discussing your old signature.
You had a fairly large BQM image for both of your lines in your signature.
On threads where every 2nd post was from you I would have 8-10 BQM images filling my desktop view.

Edit: found it

As a signature is on every single post made it can start to take up a considerable amount of screen space with the same image repeated over and over.

It looks like the forum only has an option to stop showing all signatures and no option to only block images within signatures.
That would have been a handy feature.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2021, 11:37:53 PM »

I agree.
However sometimes they can just be absolutely huge and unnecessary.
A text signature is sufficient, with a text link to any graphs/images/BQM's.

I recall a thread in the last couple years discussing your old signature.
You had a fairly large BQM image for both of your lines in your signature.
On threads where every 2nd post was from you I would have 8-10 BQM images filling my desktop view.

Edit: found it

As a signature is on every single post made it can start to take up a considerable amount of screen space with the same image repeated over and over.

It looks like the forum only has an option to stop showing all signatures and no option to only block images within signatures.
That would have been a handy feature.

The thing is though, when the signature length is limited you can run into a problem where you can fit hardly anything in there because a few links eat up the entire quota.

My sig is maxed out right now and I can barely fit more than a single line of text, can't link to details of OpenWRT, etc, which I think is useful if someone sees it and goes "oh, what's OpenWRT?".
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 01:36:01 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 08:43:23 PM »

The killer is the repetition; in a back-and-forth conversation the signs go on and on and on and on … that’s why I turned them all off, it just drove me mad ;-) (or more mad  ??? )

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 11:53:38 PM »

The killer is the repetition; in a back-and-forth conversation the signs go on and on and on and on … that’s why I turned them all off, it just drove me mad ;-) (or more mad  ??? )

Just think what it is like for kitz, roseway and b*cat. We have to see everything, for obvious reasons . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2021, 02:41:32 AM »

That's the thing though, its a personal thing and depends on your device.  I totally agree that on a device where swiping is the only navigation down the page, its more annoying, in fact I can't stand browsing the web at all on phone or tablet, its too cumbersome.

However on PC, I find the repetition helpful to track where I am on the page as I can scroll down MUCH faster and it gives me a visual indication of where I am.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2021, 06:49:23 AM »

That's the thing though, its a personal thing and depends on your device.

I view on a PC and really don't find it helpful or pretty.  There is no need for a repetitive 750 x 400 pixel image that takes up practically half the visible window, every other post.   Goodness knows what its like for those viewing on smaller res screen.   

Bearing in mind we have had complaints from members who haven't said anything in this thread, I think the majority are in agreement.... nvm the fact that it is in excess of the forum rules.     I would imagine there will be quite a few other forums taking a similar stance.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2021, 07:34:35 AM »

I view on a PC and really don't find it helpful or pretty.  There is no need for a repetitive 750 x 400 pixel image that takes up practically half the visible window, every other post.   Goodness knows what its like for those viewing on smaller res screen.   

Bearing in mind we have had complaints from members who haven't said anything in this thread, I think the majority are in agreement.... nvm the fact that it is in excess of the forum rules.     I would imagine there will be quite a few other forums taking a similar stance.   

I was referring to signatures in general or the old speedtest image size, the new one absolutely is a HUGE obstruction.

My own personal maximum signature size is something around:

and it was brought to my attention this is much too large for this forum. ;)

I don't really mind the two lines I have now, I just wish I could add more links without it eating the quota.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2021, 12:01:58 PM »

Kitz,

What about the suggestion of sizing the image?

Get people to add "width=100" to the img tag? That gives a thumbnail which links to the results page.

E.g. [URL=https://www.speedtest.net/result/11107962508][img width=100]https://www.speedtest.net/result/11107962508.png[/img][/URL]

displays as

My own view is that speed test results in signatures are usually just willy waving and totally unnecessary.

I am sympathetic to the idea of allowing more characters in the signature to allow links if the overall visible size doesn't increase. People need to remember that a signature that is only one or two lines on a PC or laptop may be considerably more on a small mobile screen.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2021, 05:27:46 PM »

I just cannot see the point of signatures full stop. They add nothing as far as I'm concerned and totally distract from the post content.There is absolutely no reason at all to post router stats as a sig, that is just total nonsense, who cares what speeds you get, it has absolutely no relevance to anything.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2021, 08:31:19 PM »

What liquorice said.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2021, 10:43:05 PM »

@Weaver

I don't see much difference between personal text (which you use) and signatures; except the latter can be turned off by people who don't want to see it and the former can't. Also, on a short post the personal text increases the total height of a post by more than a signature with the same information.

I can't see anything wrong with what you have as personal text being in a signature. Anyone unfamiliar with the posters on here would be able to see when something you post is clearly from personal experience.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2021, 01:50:10 AM »

I just cannot see the point of signatures full stop. They add nothing as far as I'm concerned and totally distract from the post content.There is absolutely no reason at all to post router stats as a sig, that is just total nonsense, who cares what speeds you get, it has absolutely no relevance to anything.

You've obviously not spent much time on other forums where people constantly ask "I'm on ISP x, is anyone else having problems?".  Which is where having the ping tests embedded can help.

Or people asking if ISP x is any good?  Even the odd load balancing question.  Everything in my sig is based on things we've discussed regularly at some point so I felt it useful to keep it persistently there.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2021, 02:44:07 AM »

Kitz,

What about the suggestion of sizing the image?

Thanks @Jelv for the width suggestion html if anyone does want to use it.
I've increased the max chars to 375 which will cover any additional html for image sizing and plus a bit more.   

I trust that people will still be responsible and mindful of others opinions and that they may be viewing on differing devices.   If squabbling continues though I'm more likely to want to turn them off. 

---
ETA

Whilst making these latest changes, I noticed that there is what looks like a small optional script that will run to apply changes to any existing signatures.  If any sigs do go a bit strange it will be a result of me running the script.  I am hoping it will automatically apply the max height setting to the humongous speed test result images, but I cant find one right now to see what effect it does have and its too late for me to want to play.   
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 02:52:55 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2021, 04:23:55 PM »

Getting a tad fed up, with this speed-test screen result image thing.   Its OK to make one post showing a screen shot.   But please be sensible and if you are quoting someone else, do not re-include the image in the quote... otherwise that also starts complaints from other people about speed tests taking up the whole page again.

I feel like my mods & I,  are like piggies in the middle trying to clear stuff up and edit posts.   I've already tried to accommodate the sig size, but feel that regs should also know better when using the quote feature containing large images.   

Members can use the custom title and sigs to say what they want/need.  Sigs have been increased to 375 chars but please be sensible. I don't mind you using the extra chars to create html links, nor do I mind links to your own websites, and ISP staff can link to their business.  As with most sites, spam links are a definite no and referral links are frowned upon, because that too has caused problems and squabbles in the past.

I acknowledge that because of the size change of the speed tests that some old posts may have increased in size but in view of the possible work load do not see any point in going through and editing posts that are no longer current. 

It's quite obvious that there are opposing views.  It should be apparent that the recent increased size has amplified the situation and members should be considerate of the fact many people do use smaller screens.    Please be sensible and considerate to all or I may just be tempted to turn the whole lot off.   
-----

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2021, 02:30:52 AM »

As with most sites, spam links are a definite no and referral links are frowned upon, because that too has caused problems and squabbles in the past.

Any problems with my link to my website as I do mention the referral being on there as people did ask a few times for Zen referral links and I figured it more convenient than constantly replying?
Pages: 1 [2] 3