Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Ookla speed test results in forum signatures.  (Read 19146 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Ookla speed test results in forum signatures.
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2021, 09:54:38 AM »

There's no issue at all with your website having a Zen referral link or your signature linking to your website. I'm not sure about your link text saying about the referral as there are other Zen users on here that may not have a suitable website who could respond if someone posted asking for a Zen referral.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2021, 11:21:59 AM »

I just cannot see the point of signatures full stop. They add nothing as far as I'm concerned and totally distract from the post content.There is absolutely no reason at all to post router stats as a sig, that is just total nonsense, who cares what speeds you get, it has absolutely no relevance to anything.

Agreed, thank you for pointing out how to disable them and forum avatars, the forum is so much easier to read now

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2021, 07:28:10 PM »

Re referrals.   -  Jelv has explained perfectly the stance taken by most forums.   
I don't mind links to your own personal websites where you may there include any referral links, but as mentioned in my previous post not in the actual signatures please as it's prone to causing squabbles and its unfair if there are several regs wanting to give referrals to the same ISP.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2021, 03:10:04 AM »

@jelv you make a good point about my own text shown on the lhs. "It doesn’t eat up vertical space" is the only thing I might whimper in my defence, ;-) but it still is effectively a signature by another name.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2021, 09:17:00 AM »

@jelv you make a good point about my own text shown on the lhs. "It doesn’t eat up vertical space" is the only thing I might whimper in my defence, ;-) but it still is effectively a signature by another name.

That's not technically true:

Apparently both the text and avatar size impacts vertical space.  :P

Though I guess you can argue that extra whitespace below each post is far less intrusive than signatures, but again that's personal opinion.  This really just highlights how not only devices impact our abilities, but our own spacial processing.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2021, 07:44:29 PM »

Oh, understood, it doesn’t look like that in my browser, probably due to my settings being different.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2021, 07:49:55 PM »

I didn't mean to convince you to wipe out your profile. :(  I'd say most posts are long enough for the point to be moot and seeing your avatar reminds me who I'm talking to.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2021, 08:12:19 PM »

Weaver - put your profile back.  :)
Most posts are long enough for yours not to have made any difference.   

seeing your avatar reminds me who I'm talking to.
Seconded.   
I expect the regs to have avatars and it also helps me see who Im talking to.

I'm really not bothered about the sensible avs and sigs used by most members.   It's the stonking big [speedtest] graphics that are a no.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 08:16:07 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2021, 01:32:13 PM »

No, I just really didn’t want to be stretching the windows vertically

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2021, 01:43:13 PM »

You said it didn't happen on mobile devices though, which surely is the only place it matters?

Making it bigger is easier to read on a PC IMO, which was my whole contribution to this discussion.  We're trying to find a balance that works for all, not go completely minimalist.

I'm really sorry I posted that comparison now, it was only meant to be as a joke to point out that trying to absolutely waste no vertical space is not really practical for all configurations and without becoming detrimental.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 01:45:15 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2021, 01:51:44 PM »

I’m on an iPad which has a huge display. I think it’s just do to with my kitz preferences, and because the kitz web server is being told by iPadOS Safari that this is a Mac in the browser identification string, precisely to prevent ‘mobile’ discrimination madness, the server won’t know that this is an iPad.

Users who, like a friend of mine, use a speech synth to read pages aloud can turn off the sigs as I do, so they don’t have to hear repetition. I wonder if a user can turn ‘personal text’ off. I never knew it is displayed on the left of every picture, I suppose I thought it was just there for when someone looks up a particular user. the exspereience of workin with someone who is blind and being shown how assistive software works was fascinating and changed the way I think. I certainly changed my ways regarding web design for my wife’s (former) company, and I made sure everything made sense when read in linear order (as opposed to in two dimensions), there was no repetition, no use of images instead of text, every part was easy to jump to (by using ‘heading navigation’ and other methods too),and links were not ambiguous or repetitive when read out of context.

Now where’s that picture of me on the boat to Orkney many years ago…

Actually, I notice that there’s a huge amounts of white space below very short posts on my machine and that’s even with no personal text on the le
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 02:05:14 PM by Weaver »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2021, 06:48:49 PM »

Users who, like a friend of mine, use a speech synth to read pages aloud can turn off the sigs as I do, so they don’t have to hear repetition. I wonder if a user can turn ‘personal text’ off.

There's options to turn off the display of avatars and signatures, but not personal text. That's a strong argument that such information is better in the signature than in personal text as it gives speech synth users a way of turning it off.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530
Pages: 1 2 [3]