Announcements > Site Announcements

Ookla speed test results in forum signatures.

(1/9) > >>

kitz:
It has recently been brought to our attention that size of some of the ookla speed test results used in signatures have become rather large and can be up to 6x that of the actual forum post.  We have already asked some users to please amend their signatures.

Whilst re-reading an old thread last night, I noticed a post from 2019 where the users signature was literally taking over the whole thread with these enormous graphical results.  It looked pretty awful (not to mention monotonous and overbearing) as I scrolled down the page on a PC, so goodness knows what it must be like on a mobile device.  :( 

To give an indication; these images are 750 x 400 pixels on a monitor with a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080... which in old money is 9¼ x 5 inches.  If you are anything like me and often have other things on the go and never view your browser in full window mode, then this one image is literally taking over half my visible window.  When the same user posts more than one reply in a thread, it soon becomes messy and an eyesore.

Based on the fact that this particular user hasn't visited the forum for a couple of months I can only assume that Ookla has recently changed something their side as I'm not aware of it being a problem until the past week.   I have tried to set a limit on the maximum signature size, but this doesn't appear to have any effect on signatures that were previously in place before I made the changes. 

If you do have an Ookla speed test result in your signature, would you please check its size and if necessary, change or remove it.   Admins will automatically delete any that we come across without any notification to yourselves.
Thank you for understanding. 

kitz:
This also affects speedtest.net.     

What a stupid thing to do.  They've increased the image size 4 fold and I cant see anything in the links that give an option for size.
It will only result in a lot of forums banning their use in member signatures.   :-\

Alex Atkin UK:
Ten fold?  As far as I can tell they're just over four times the size they used to be.  This happened (at least for new tests done) some months back

I'm guessing since then they have been slowly re-generating historical images which seems an utterly baffling thing to do for the reasons you describe.

I really can't see why they did this, its not like EVERYONE is using high DPI screens and even those that do usually have 150-200% scaling set on their PC anyway.  Seems to me this will actually break scaling not improve it, perhaps where your ten-fold is coming from?

Chrysalis:
They likely doing it to try and gain attention to their site, but as kitz said it will backfire as forums will ban them.

Its a shame windows has no DPI setting to shrink below 100%, so much stuff seems to be about making all UI elements bigger these days as if we using 4k screens.

licquorice:
Call me old fashioned, but I'm afraid I have never seen the point of sigs in forums, even less the point of speedtest results in a sig. I never use one and always tick the box not to display them on any forum I subscribe to.
Asbestos suit donned in readiness!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version