Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cant downgrade speedtouch 585, help please  (Read 25128 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Cant downgrade speedtouch 585, help please
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 06:35:53 AM »

For anyone looking for Speedtouch firmware there's a large collection here but it doesn't seem to have the one you're looking for.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 08:47:34 PM »

Good Luck tarka.

Yes I'll take a copy if you get one please.  Even though I use the Be version, having seen how hard it was to try and track down that particular version, it may be an idea to keep a copy on the site which is available for download.

One thing I did notice when I was searching for the firmware is that an awful lot of people seemed to be having problems downgrading, but it did normally go eventually.
One post I saw made mention that the router kept timeouting before the update was complete, which he resolved by resetting it again manually.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tarka

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 12:57:59 PM »

Thanks guys. I havent had a reply from him yet but if i do get the firmware i will share it straight away. As for downgrading, i cant even get it to start. It just says not compatible. Im wondering if this one is locked to AOL and maybe its not possible at all. Still, i wont give up just yet.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 02:24:43 PM »

Yes please do let us know how you get on.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tarka

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 06:17:18 PM »

Well, i have the firmware now. If anyone wants it just pm me an email address and i will be happy to share it. Unfortunately for me its been a no go. The upgrade wizzard still says not compatible. I have tried everything i can think of and have found on the net. The most obvious problem seems to be that the power and ethernet lights wont flash alternate red and green. I get permanent orange power light and flashing green ethernet light. I think maybe because of this i cant get it to enter the flash state it needs to be in. Its "not compatible" every time with every firmware. I am pretty sure it is locked to AOL. So, although its a superb router which has completely solved my SNR problems i am stuck at SNR 15db and cant use the DMT tool as my firmware is wrong.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 08:06:31 PM »

OK more googling, and it does indeed appear that you may have a router that is indeed locked to AOL...

However, try this from ΜinOtaVrS

Unlock AOL ST585v6sl GUI Interface

==================================­ ===
Ηοw to: Unlock AOL ST585v6sl Web Admin Interface
==================================­ ===

Click here i29.tinypic.com/4h7ekg.jpg to see th Locking Toolbox via original files
Click here i25.tinypic.com/vqmdzt.jpg to see Unlocking Τοolbox via modification files

Time: 5 minutes

Via FTP Client go at speedtouch /dl/ directory and copy the 3 files of dl.rar
MS Word ή Νotepad
FlashFXP ή οποιοσδήποτε FTP Client

==================================­ =============

A. Download the modification files from here
rapidshare.com/files/95221413/dl.rar

1. Unrar the dl.rar at ur desktop

2. Open user.ini with un editor (like ms word or notepad) make e search and replace "YOURNAME" with ur ISP username. Save.

B. Connect @ Speedtouch via FTP Client to /dl/ directory

1. Backup all files from /dl/τoυ Speedtouch

2. Upload the modification files user.ini, vo_ny_dy5.tpl & security.cfg from dl.rar

C. Go to ur browser @ Web interface (192.168.1.254) and type

Username: admin

Password: password

user/pass for the additional accounts

Administrator/password
admin/password

No login password for users

root2
SuperUser
mino

U can see photos with unlocking Web interface here
minotavrs.blogspot.com/2...i-interface.html

and full feedback reports in Hellenic language (Greek) here
www.adslgr.com/forum/sho...1024#post1841024

Good luck
-----

tarka

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 04:10:03 PM »

Thanks for taking the time Kitz. But i tried that too. I can delete all 3 files from the router via ftp but i cant restore or edit the "user.ini" file. I then have to restore the router config via the routers control panel. Shame but it looks like they have that stitched up too.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 04:11:53 PM »

:(

Sorry Im at a loss now what to suggest  :'(
-----

tarka

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 04:41:20 PM »

Hey thats OK. Thanks for trying :) My brother has just bought 2 factory refurb 585v6 routers from ebay. Hopefully being from the factory maybe they will work. If not, then a call to zen for a 10 re-trigger (hopefully) and that will be about all my options burnt out i think.

tarka

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2008, 12:20:26 PM »

Hi all. I'm back with some good news and with some doubts. I now have another 585v6, this one was a factory refurb. It downgraded to v6.1.4.3 no problem at all and has the unlocked GUI. Also DMT tool works perfectly. After sliding the SNR bar to minimum and a re-sync my connection went from 1620 to 2360. A nice improvement i thought, until i download a file and my download speed has not actually altered at all, still 120 - 139, strange? Also my target SNR was set to 15 and there isnt enough scope on the slider in DMT to get it down to 6db. The lowest i am able to get it is 10db. But the scariest thing is that while using DMT my connection dropped, for 9 hours! I dont know if Zen sensed something and disconnected me as a warning or a caution but i have never had no internet for 9 hours before. I had a DSL signal, but the log on the router says i was being refused connection to ppp something or other .miltonkeyns. There was no scheduled maintenance last night with ZEN. A tad worrying. I am using the old router again at the moment and dont know wether to carry on with DMT or not.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2008, 12:57:31 PM »

>> my download speed has not actually altered at all, still 120 - 139, strange?

Not really it can take a while before your IP profile catches up to the new sync speed.   Depending on the amount of increase it can take anything from a few hours to a few days.

>> Also my target SNR was set to 15 and there isnt enough scope on the slider in DMT to get it down to 6db.

Thats the unfortunate thing with DMT on the speedtouches.. since it works on a % basis then theres only so far you can take it. :(

>> I dont know if Zen sensed something and disconnected me as a warning or a caution but i have never had...

Highly doubtful.
As long as you have sync, then the theory is you should be able to authenticate, its the next stage of the login process.
PPP session is normally login at the ISP, and part of the authentication process.  There is however a smaller first step which is authentication at the RAS.
Theres a couple of tests that you can perform to see if authentication is failing on the BT network, or if its on the ISP network.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/bttest.htm

Failure to log in to the ISP is normally an invalid username + password - or the ISP has problems.
Failure to log in at the BT level is a problem with your own equipment, or the line, or the routing anywhere from the exchange to the RAS over the BT backhaul.
-----

tarka

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2008, 02:18:52 PM »

Lol, thanks KItz. As you can see i am making slow but steady progress. It feels like i have hit a million problems since i started off here a couple of months back, but i have also come a long way as i knew absolutely nothing about ADSl when i started. The good thing is that i have managed to achieve everthing i set out to do with the help of you guys. So, i will plug the other router back in, fire up DMT again and hit save settings this time as it seemed very stable, and then wait for the ip profile to catch up. When you said "as long as you have sync" did you mean, as long as the DSL light is lit on the router? sound like a daft question but im just confirming that you meant as long as my line is still DSL anabled but not actually connected to the internet.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2008, 03:09:39 PM »

>> did you mean, as long as the DSL light is lit on the router

Yes :)

>> sound like a daft question but im just confirming

Not a daft question at all.  The dsl light on your router indicates that you are connected to the exchange ok and that your router and the dslam at the exchange can "hear" each other ok.  It does depends on the make of router, but normally a steady solid green light indicates that all is well.  A steady/slow flash indicates the router is attempting to connect/hasnt been able to connect yet...  whilst a fast flashing can indicate the transfer of data between the 2.

-----

tarka

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 03:53:29 PM »

Ah ok, as i thought. Thank you. I will put it down to a Zen problem or maintenance and carry on :) I noticed that i could shut down DMT without losing the new settings but If i shut down the PC without hitting save settings on DMT will the new SNR settings be lost? Im just being cautious because this page http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv7.htm says to make sure your happy with the settings before you save them as they flash the memory of the router?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2008, 07:32:09 PM »

>> If i shut down the PC without hitting save settings on DMT will the new SNR settings be lost

Yes - hitting the save button on DMTtool sends the  "saveall"  telnet command to the router, so that it stores it in memory.  Unless you've sent the saveall command then the setting will be lost next time you start up the router.
Even if youve saved, DMT still allows you to return back to the default values.
-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3