Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cant downgrade speedtouch 585, help please  (Read 25129 times)

tarka

Cant downgrade speedtouch 585, help please
« on: August 01, 2008, 07:38:12 PM »

Hi all, i have bought a Thomson speedtouch 585v6 , which is a miracle in a box. But its come with firmware 6.2.17.5. I want to downgrade to 6.1 to use DMT tools. I downloaded the wizard and firmware but it says "not compatible" when i select the new firmware. Im not sure wether i need the bewholesale or belite firmware but neither work and the next button is greyed out so i cant go any further. There is also no wizard on the AOL disc that came with it. Also the router was not locked to AOL for anyone who sees one on ebay and is tempted but unsure. Is it possible to downgrade?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Cant downgrade speedtouch 585, help please
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 10:20:24 PM »

Ive just had a quick google

From Zen forums here

I have recently purchased a SpeedTouch 585 v.6 (not from Zen) that came with the latest 'official' firmware installed 6.2.17.5 - software variant DG.

I had a little 'play' with upgrading/downgrading the firmware; to familiarise myself with the process. I "downgraded" to 6.1.4.3. The router does not appear to like downgrading and it took three attempts before I succeeded.

and from whirlpool forums here

See the post by Majed who was having problems downgrading from 6.2.17.5
and Revs Per Mins reply which seemed to work

Follow the bootp instructions.
The easiest way to get the newer ST516/536/546/580/585 routers into bootp state is to do the following:
It is helpful though not essential to have the pc with a fixed static ip.

1. Begin with the unit powered off via the power switch at the back depressed.

2. Get a pin or a pen with a long enough nose to reach the reset button and hold it in.

3. Continue holding your pin or... on the reset button and do not release it. Power the unit on by pressing the power button into the "on" state never releasing the reset.

4. Hold the reset button in for around 15 seconds. The power and Ethernet light should flash between red and green.

5. Run the SpeedTouch firmware upgrade wizard. You only have around 1min to start the wizard before the speedtouch will revert to the normal boot up.

Note: It is always recommended to run the SpeedTouch firmware upgrade wizards with a statically set IP address on your PC of the following:

IP: 10.0.0.1, Subnet: 255.0.0.0, Default Gateway: 10.0.0.138.

Note: It is best to have all security programmes (firewalls, antivirus) either disabled or turned completely off. (Edit from Revs. It is absolutely essential not just best. The worst product is Symantec internet security because people don't know it is on. Turn everything symantec off (permanently would be best!!).

This will ensure a successful upgrade.

Regards,
Scott
SpeedTouch NZ Support Team
www.speedtouch.net.nz

In NZ english pin and pen are identical items!!
Don't forget when you are finished to return your network settings back to auto. Although Scott put in a gateway this is not necessary. Just the ip and subnet are enough.

Good Luck :)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tarka

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:31:52 PM »

Wow thanks Kitz. I must admit the SNR results from the 585 are truly incredible! I will post the graphs to my other thread once i am completely sorted. The only problem i have now is that my SNR margin is set (by the looks of things) to 15db hence wanting to downgrade so i can use DMT. Unless i am able to get Zen to retrigger the 10 day period? The advise in your reply is great but i dont know how to set up a static IP? Any pointers or links to useful sites please?
Many thanks :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 11:01:35 AM »

When they say static IP, what I think they mean they should have said was assign a fixed IP to a machine
Theres instructions at the bottom of this page here.

For a ST router the info you will need to put in should be

For the IP address try 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.1.254

You will also be asked for your ISP DNS Servers

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tarka

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 06:21:28 PM »

Thanks again Kitz. Before i start though as my line stats are so stable now is it at all possible to get Zen to retrigger the 10 day thing or should i just go ahead and downgrade the firmware and use DMT?

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 06:28:26 PM »

If you want your SNR reset to the default of 6dB then Zen should raise a call with BT, to reset your SNR at the BT exchange.  Having to reset the connection and start a full 10 day retraining period is a tad OTT.

HTH.
Regards,
Mick

tarka

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 09:34:54 PM »

Do you think? because the alternative is to wait perhaps weeks to see if my ip profile changes with the newly improved line quality or downgrade my router firmware. And i have read that many people have had a more stable connection with v2 than v1. The point is that i dont want to keep turning my router on and off if im to let the exchange believe that things are good now. And it might not be necesary to use the DMT tool as my SNR only  fluctuates by 1db at any time. So starting from scratch on a stable line might be a quicker and less disruptive route to take. Just my thinking, i could be wrong.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 12:11:06 AM »

Target SNR request is much quicker and easier than a full reprofile request, and should do what you need.

BTw are a bit funny full resets and target SNR changes.. so its still often easier for some of us to change things ourselves using the likes of DMT tool
-----

tarka

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 01:11:34 PM »

Thanks Kitz.  I thought it was something that could be done pretty much straight away without any fuss. So on that note i will downgrade and use DMT. For the firmware do i use the 6.1.4.3 BeLite or BeWholesale version?

tarka

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 01:34:25 AM »

I called Zen technical support today but they did not know which version to use. So i tried both. Following the instructions above and many others i have found via google i just can not get it to downgrade. It wont even try. In the upgrade wizzard i select the firmware (6.1.4.3) and under "remark" it says "not compatible" every time. Any ideas pleae?

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 08:02:38 AM »

Firmware for Be isn't much use to you as I suspect you won't have a clue about how to rewrite profiles?

You need the generic Thomson firmware and not one customised for other ISPs.....

tarka

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 08:17:51 PM »

Any ideas where i can find a generic 6.1.4.3 please. I have had a really good look about on various forums with no luck. Or if some one has it could they P.M me and arrange to e-mail it to me. Thanks :)

tarka

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 08:19:57 PM »

Having said that, if anyone has that firmware specifically for AOL then i might be in with a better chance. The generic version would still be gratefully accepted though.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 10:03:10 PM »

It was available on the Thomson site,

http://www.thomson.net/GlobalEnglish/SelfService/dsl-modems-download/Pages/default.aspx

but it seems to have vanished and they are only offering the Be versions.   :'(
Ive done a search and cant seem to find it available for download..

However I have found someone that says they have a copy -  Alecto -  which he may be able to send you.

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10915&p=105786
-----

tarka

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 10:55:34 PM »

Thanks Kitz, again, lol. He doesnt seem to mind mailing it to people so i pm'd him asking for it. If i get it i am happy to mail it to anyone here who wants it as its so hard to find.
One question. When getting the router to Bootp the instructions on the post above say the power and ethernet lights will flash red and green. On mine the power light went orange and only the ethernet light flashed green and then the upgrade wizzard didnt ask for the router password anymore, well, for 1 minute or so. It said something about kernel in the box instead. With the flashing lights being different, does this mean it wasnt in the right state to be flashed?
Pages: [1] 2 3