Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: issues on sky and G.FAST - is it FTTpole..? ...and, do Sky routers support it  (Read 1698 times)

SpyPunk

• Just arrived

hey guys, so this is the graph as of this morning: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/0fb2c0ce747bf438ad9829dcbf6d98ab56d4fcd6-14-05-2021

and the speed test: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/button/1620984060285377355.png

it looks alot better than the past with a little quicker speeds and will continue to monitor , thanx snadge

snadge

• Kitizen

@ SpyPunk - is the Quality Metric on that TBB test link I sent you still saying 0.1 as you showed me yesterday?
-  if so, then I would say they have fixed the issue and your lower speed (not getting 70) is just cos of the sheer amount of crosstalk from other users in the same cable...he did say there were 17, BUT there's 20 going into my Junction Box when I look outside, just counted em all so that's nothing irregular about that I would have thought, my last property was same with probably 12-15 going into it (about same distance as you) n I got full 80/20 there.

a JB houses a whole street usually, and I currently live about twice your distance from the cabinet - so I'm just wondering how your taking such a massive hit on the speed loss?? ...the only thing I can think of is it must have everyone on 80MB connections maybe? and my neighbours are maybe mostly 40Mb or ADSL or something?!, that may make a difference but not much I would have thought, still an active line I'm sharing cable with that then goes underground en-route to cabinet

that said, with all that crosstalk you would of thought FastPath would be impossible...yet you seem to be on it as your ping is under 20ms now and sync is up by 7Mb which is indicative of FastPath being turned on, meaning Error Protection is off???

B*kat or someone else may be able to shine a light on this, I may be wrong but I'm sure I've read you can get FP if you attain to a lower sync rate (speed) so its further away from the noise enough to allow fastpath to be enabled - which is what you want for a gamer (which you are) - dunno if this is true though?!??!

edit: P.S. post yer router stats
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 11:51:31 AM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

j0hn

• Kitizen

Any line syncing at 51Mb on VDSL would not be able to receive G.Fast.
You pretty much need the full or near to full 80Mb to be within G.Fast range.

At 51Mb sync the line is also likely to be much longer than 100-150m.
The cabinet may be that distance away in a straight line but the route the line takes may not be what you would expect.

What estimates does the BT Broadband Availability Checker give for VDSL for the address in question?
Does it give any G.Fast estimates?
You can check here: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

As for the topic title... there's no such thing as FTTpole.
That would be FTTdp (Fibre to the distribution point) or even FTTrn (remote node).
Not everyone has an overhead feed (so no pole).
There's already an FTTP!

VDSL2 is FTTC.
G.Fast is also FTTC.

The Sky Hub SR203 supports G.Fast but I strongly suspect the line is too long to receive a G.Fast service.

Can you post the results of the BT Wholesale checker I linked above?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 12:43:44 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

snadge

• Kitizen

Any line syncing at 51Mb on VDSL would not be able to receive G.Fast.
You pretty much need the full or near to full 80Mb to be within G.Fast range.

At 51Mb sync the line is also likely to be much longer than 100-150m.
The cabinet may be that distance away in a straight line but the route the line takes may not be what you would expect.

What estimates does the BT Broadband Availability Checker give for VDSL for the address in question?
Does it give any G.Fast estimates?
You can check here: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

As for the topic title... there's no such thing as FTTpole.
That would be FTTdp (Fibre to the distribution point) or even FTTrn (remote node).
Not everyone has an overhead feed (so no pole).
There's already an FTTP!

VDSL2 is FTTC.
G.Fast is also FTTC.

The Sky Hub SR203 supports G.Fast but I strongly suspect the line is too long to receive a G.Fast service.

Can you post the results of the BT Wholesale checker I linked above?

Hi J0hn,

The checker says this on address checker cos phone is non-BT

he was getting 44Mbps on speed tests (at best) so assuming his sync was about 48k, now he gets 51Mbps on tests and ping is looking to be around 16-17ms when it used to be 23ms, so Im assuming that is FastPath on? possibly anyway

even BT broadband itself (checking for FTTP availability as according to the Wholesalechecker its available) the BT Broadband checker says:
43Mb - 50Mb
Your download speed range
Your Stay Fast Guarantee 32Mb
Upload speed range 8Mb - 9Mb
and no FTTP availability
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 01:07:52 PM by snadge »

bkehoe

G.Fast isn't even showing on the checker so it's not even an option for him. If it was available it would show below the VDSL estimates.

j0hn

• Kitizen

Not only does the address have no access to G.Fast but there's no G.Fast coming from that PCP at all.
No idea why the engineer was recommending a technology that the cabinet can't even do.

There's a pod on the PCP but it's a VDSL Sidepod and not a G.Fast pod.

snadge

• Kitizen

@ jOhn - there is the G.FAST pod connected to the PCP in question 'according to the engineer' - but when I tried the checker on BT broadband there was no UltraFast option, and on sky, I put in I am moving to his address so it wouldn't say your already a customer and UltraFast was NOT an option:

@ SKY:-
Includes our Speed Guarantee
Super for streaming and gaming
Unlimited fibre broadband
49 - 68 Mb/s estimated download
12 - 18 Mb/s estimated upload
43 Mb/s minimum guaranteed download

this is much higher than BT estimates:
@ BT:-
Your download speed range 43Mb - 50Mb
Your Stay Fast Guarantee 32Mb
Upload speed range 8Mb - 9Mb

its funny as I don't have a G.FAST pod and connected to ECI cabinet but I can get UltrFast through sky but I'm guessing they would be taking advantage of the Fibre that runs up to the DP on my pole as I have full FTTP availability to the property, I can get 900Mbps/110Mbps through BT and UltraFast 150Mbs through sky

still early days but I've a feeling it may be sorted out now anyway

edit: can someone show me an example of the checker with G.FAST showing on it? cos I can don't have a GFAST pod but can get ultrafast through sky and have fibre to the DP (pole) and mine just looks the same but says 1000Mbps on FTTP
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 12:52:11 PM by snadge »

j0hn

• Kitizen

@ jOhn - there is the G.FAST pod connected to the PCP in question 'according to the engineer'

There's G.Fast in the area (a few miles away) and the pod on the PCP looks identical to a G.Fast pod so I can see why the engineer might think it's a G.Fast pod, but the pod contains a Huawei DSLAM with VDSL line cards.

How I can tell this from publicly available info...
I've checked numerous addresses within a stones throw of the cabinet and none show G.Fast available.
Thinkbroadband maps shows no G.Fast on the cabinet.

Codelook shows the cabinet was expanded in October 2019.
It's an ECI cabinet, the only way it can be expanded is with a new Huawei cabinet or a Huawei VDSL pod.

Google Maps car images dated October 2020 show a single ECI cabinet and a single pod on the PCP.

So it isn't a G.Fast pod, it's a VDSL Sidepod.

I've attached an image showing G.Fast on the checker.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 04:09:37 PM by j0hn »

snadge

• Kitizen

There's G.Fast in the area (a few miles away) and the pod on the PCP looks identical to a G.Fast pod so I can see why the engineer might think it's a G.Fast pod, but the pod contains a Huawei DSLAM with VDSL line cards.

How I can tell this from publicly available info...
I've checked numerous addresses within a stones throw of the cabinet and none show G.Fast available.
Thinkbroadband maps shows no G.Fast on the cabinet.

Codelook shows the cabinet was expanded in October 2019.
It's an ECI cabinet, the only way it can be expanded is with a new Huawei cabinet or a Huawei VDSL pod.

Google Maps car images dated October 2020 show a single ECI cabinet and a single pod on the PCP.

So it isn't a G.Fast pod, it's a VDSL Sidepod.

I've attached an image showing G.Fast on the checker.

thanks, John, I went off what the pictures off this site that show as a HUAWEI cab ECI cab and it looked exactly the same as that the picture SpyPunk took of it and showed me on Signal - one that's near his PCP - unfortunately I no longer have the pic as messaging is set to disappear after 1 week but I compared and it is a HUAWEI ECI cab - its not on Google Maps cos its latest pictures on Street View are from 2009, can only see the back from distance, I'll ask him to post a pic up

edit: actually I was able to use street view from another later photo from the next street and this was it I think.. and does appear to be an ECI - I must have been shown a different one or got mixed up cos he was showing me a few

edit2: it would also seem (last time I was able to check a few days ago) that FASTPATH is Forced to be ON regardless of CRC/error count...?? is this possible? as he reports that he still gets some packet loss on TBB, small amounts and during gaming sessions got the odd yellow warning (connectivity problems - LAN'd in) on Fortnite, I've explained its normal to get SOME CRC errors during the day as I get 0.33 per hour (DSL-Stats) and I use my internet a lot (300-500GB a month) - so I told him he needs to get error protection turned back on then this will help as before he never ever complained of problems and his ping was always 23ms and speed 44Mbs, now its 16ms and 51Mbs - indicative of fastpath

edit3: I also checked on TBB post code checker and this was the average speeds within 1K of his post code:
    Download:    18.3 Mbps
   Upload:    8.2 Mbps

« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 01:27:33 PM by snadge »
Pages: 1 [2]