Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Laptop and Wi-Fi Connectivity Problem  (Read 1319 times)

black33

Laptop and Wi-Fi Connectivity Problem
« on: May 11, 2021, 11:36:43 PM »

Hi all

I have an old acer laptop and 2 wi-fi connections.

One is landline adsl2 and the other a 4g router.

When I download programs I use Opera browser and Seed4.Me VPN, the speed sure goes slow.

My question is when I disconnect the VPN and close Opera I am then unable to get Chrome browser to work. I have tried switching wi-fi from 4g back to adsl2 but they both say No Internet Access. I have to use ccleaner and then do a reboot to get it to work.
Is this some DNS/Network problem/conflict and is there any way I can resolve this easily with rebooting?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

numbermonkey

• Just arrived
Re: Laptop and Wi-Fi Connectivity Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 12:30:33 AM »

Hey
Any ideas where your VPN exit point is set to be? Same continent? You're always going to get slower performance with a VPN.
I bet Chrome has been set to use a proxy at the VPN providers hosting site so that a)they ensure there's no "split tunneling" i.e. web traffic passing outside of the established VPN connection, b) they can market the information they glean from your web habits (the service is "free", right? /jaded mode off)
I further propose that ccleaner is reverting Chrome to a fresh installed state with the default being no proxy and then the seed4.me client sets it again.
TBH, I dont even have Chrome installed so I cant describe where the Settings to check are but something like this may help https://www.atechtown.com/chrome-proxy-settings/

I dunno, just trying to make the clues work :) May be way off but give it a shot - first thing I'd check.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 01:56:14 AM »

Its not FREE, its a paid service.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

numbermonkey

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 02:48:56 PM »

Its not FREE, its a paid service.
Okie dokie.
I still think it could be a proxy prob.
But then i noticed the thread is months old so probably moot.