Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mobile broadband FASTER than DSL?  (Read 4983 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Mobile broadband FASTER than DSL?
« on: May 11, 2021, 11:00:43 PM »

I know its usually faster than either of my DSL lines, twice as fast at times, but as today I've disconnected the modems TWICE due to the storms I noticed something curious - page load times seem FASTER on 4G Voxi alone than load balanced across my two DSL lines + 4G!  :o

I honestly can't explain why this is, it makes no sense.  The latency should be higher, but there seems to be significantly less lag to pages loading.

I suppose it could be that most of my policy routing rules are not enabled (I have pfSense configured to skip generating them if the gateway they are related to is down) but I really wouldn't have thought it would make an obvious difference like this.

I may also have been lucky here, just plugged the modems back in after the last storm and neither are getting any sync.  Fried line card?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 11:17:05 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: Mobile broadband FASTER than DSL?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 11:14:48 PM »

Storms here as well, both my lines suffered but no comment on the 4G as I only have it for fail over.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 11:17:15 PM »

Apparently the HH5As needed rebooting, go figure.

Well Zen has come back, the Plusnet line for some reason takes AGES to gain sync lately.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 12:21:45 AM »

Seems the Plusnet Hub has died, it wont sync.  Plugged in the Openreach ECI modem and that's connected fine.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 02:36:52 PM »

How are you doing the load balancing?  Is it per client, or per connection or what?  Just wondering if the load balancing is inefficient where the RTT is wildly different between the circuits.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 06:13:42 PM »

Its just per connection and yes the RTT variance can be a problem.  When I was on Three it really didn't work as the latency on their service was so much higher than DSL.

However since I've been on Voxi as the tower is really close and contention seems minimal it seems to work fine.

The only "catch" is it can trigger Cloudflare captchas when a protected site sees my IP changing.  But any REALLY problematic sites I just policy route out a specific WAN.

Game downloads from Steam, etc easily max out all WANs.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 06:16:04 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 08:15:50 PM »

I am currently at my static caravan in the depths of West Wales, and EE have recently had many outages over previous weekends, citing upgrades to their masts.

Did a speedtest today - 210/20 ! This is indeed faster than my dual FTTC at home. Even had a 350/30 test in Cardiff the other week as I now possess a 5G phone and contract. Impressively fast.

Though the offices new 1Gbps symmetrical internet connection is nice when you are in the office on your own :)
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 08:36:27 PM »

It wasn't "faster" in speed that surprised me, its web pages seemed to respond faster.

Although I recently found out there was a bug in the pfSense kernel that caused some issues with multi-WAN so that might have been a contributor.  Updated to the latest RC and magically the problem I had with port forwards suddenly only working on a single WAN is fixed and things seem faster in general.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 08:43:12 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 01:37:42 PM »

It wasn't "faster" in speed that surprised me, its web pages seemed to respond faster.

Although I recently found out there was a bug in the pfSense kernel that caused some issues with multi-WAN so that might have been a contributor.  Updated to the latest RC and magically the problem I had with port forwards suddenly only working on a single WAN is fixed and things seem faster in general.

Yes certainly noticing that here too, web pages feel much snappier @ 170mbps vs 60mbps I'm used to at home (Can only really use 1 connection for a single computer load)

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 04:53:46 PM »

This is what I get on 4G at home on Three

https://www.speedtest.net/result/i/4646737434

When i'm outside my local shop I get 5G which is around 400+ Mbs

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 10:20:21 AM »

I wish Three was decent here as they are cheaper than Voxi(Vodafone) and issue public IP addresses.

I've been trying to port forward across my VPN connection to my VPS to get around that, but while it works for standard http, I can't seem to get https or XMPP to work.  It seems whenever TLS is involved, something goes wrong.

Obviously I could just get L2TP from AAISP, but seems silly to spend more money on something I should be able to use my existing VPS for.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2021, 11:25:43 AM »

I'm in the office today (Cardiff) and have 5G - 450Mbps/40.

Where I live, EE are purportedly rolling out 5G. If it's a decent speed and I can make tethering work for me, I could be tempted to look into 5G in the interim before FTTP comes around.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2021, 05:04:39 PM »

I've switched to a H122-373 (5G CPE Pro 2) and despite the fact Three is supposed to have good network coverage here now, its only showing 4G networks when I do a manual network scan. :/  I'm a bit concerned as some other users of this device have said it SHOULD show 5G networks in the scan and that they used to connect to 5G and recent firmware broke it.

Very problematic as I'd have to go closer to the tower to be sure so I could try to get a Vodafone 5G signal as my Three PAYG SIMs appear to have expired.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2021, 05:09:09 PM »

During my line fault my EE was faster than my VDSL (not for browsing responsiveness but for streaming buffering and downloads). I am also considering buying a new phone now which would be 5G, although 5G isnt the reason I am buying it.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2021, 06:11:02 PM »

Yeah I really can't rationalise a new phone right now, the router was supposed to be to test out what 5G is available in the area, kinda regretting not checking for known issues beforehand.  But I guess I have the two year warranty to figure out what's going on.  Maybe they will discontinue it after a year and swap it for something newer. ;)
Pages: [1] 2