Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mobile broadband FASTER than DSL?  (Read 4987 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Mobile broadband FASTER than DSL?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2021, 12:48:40 AM »

The only way I justify it is the battery, planned obsolescence not letting me swap it out, but I am buying a phone thats a gen old if I get one so not paying absolute premium.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2021, 05:32:02 AM »

Considering I went all out and got the Galaxy S10,  I'm hoping Samsung do not discontinue the battery replacement service before I need one.  I'd rather not have to send it to some random third-party repair service.  I see absolutely no need for 5G on a phone though, unless you're using it as a WiFi hotspot and are never near decent WiFi.

Its so frustrating as I think the phone is TOO thin, so making it a big thicker with a battery door would be fine for me.  Had no real problems with the Note 4 except having a metal frame made it hard to use in winter and I found it was a bit too large, thus why I went down to the S10.

Of course the real drag is I got a lot less use out of it than I expected due to the pandemic, as I paid all that money for shooting 4K 60fps video at conventions then everything got cancelled and I'm going to let all the anti-vaxxers be the guinea pigs this year, will reconsider leaving the house again next year.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 02:58:21 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2021, 03:33:19 PM »

Managed to find a Three SIM that was still active, there is indeed a 5G signal.  Managed to hit 300Mbit down and it was still slowly climbing when the test ended, upload test failed for some reason so I can't share the result.

Looks like I may be looking at a Three contract again but will go for 12 months this time, not falling for the 24 month tie-in and crap performance after the first month again.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2021, 04:19:09 PM »

Managed to find a Three SIM that was still active, there is indeed a 5G signal.  Managed to hit 300Mbit down and it was still slowly climbing when the test ended, upload test failed for some reason so I can't share the result.

Looks like I may be looking at a Three contract again but will go for 12 months this time, not falling for the 24 month tie-in and crap performance after the first month again.

what speed test app did you use, fast.com speedtest.net opensignal,

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2021, 07:21:42 PM »

Speedtest.net, will do more testing when the new SIM arrives.

Speaking of, how wasteful are SIM cards?  I have about five Three SIM cards knocking around, but have to order a new one to get a new contract.  :no:

rn123

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2021, 12:40:51 PM »

I find that in my area and my location I get c48/50 down and 9 up on a BT line. With an EE sim I can get up to 80mb down and 40up with the router and antennae in the house. I do notice that speeds fluctuate quite a bit. It can drop as low as 20mb down, but averages out at the same as the BT line, so 50 down but much faster uploads at 30 up.

I know every user is different, but I am wondering if I should look into an external modem or aerial which would boost the speed enough to step away from BT line.

I do keep wondering though if at say new years eve or christmas I am going to find I get very low speeds due to the masts being in use - anyone got any experience of this first hand?

I also thought about load balancing but when i tried this I got so many timeouts that I stopped.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2021, 01:47:05 PM »

I found that timeouts are usually a problem with the MTU being different between mobile and DSL, you have to reduce the MTU on the router so they match.

I absolutely wouldn't rely on mobile personally.  I spent a month or so using only Three 5G on my desktop, then I started to get timeouts on websites and went back to DSL.

I did change some settings and get it working again, but like you said I suspect during certain peak times its inevitable its going to get overloaded as you have a lot more users sharing the same radio frequencies/bandwidth vs DSL where you have your own private allocation per household.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2021, 08:54:59 AM »

Speaking of Three 5G, it really surprised me a few days ago with a new speed record.  Interestingly I've been unable to replicate it on speedtest.net (the test seems too short for it ramp up as high), it just happened this once on Steam.

At the same time, Voxi has slowed down to half the speed it used to be, its now the same as my DSL so I've decided to cancel it.  It might be a temporary issue, but honestly having four ISPs seems overkill given how fast Three is and Voxi is the most expensive of the four.  I was planning to cancel Plusnet but honestly the reliability of DSL and having a second public IP to access my server, it seemed kinda a silly move.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 01:03:15 AM by Alex Atkin UK »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2021, 12:45:39 PM »

I'll just attach latest speeds:

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2021, 01:05:37 AM »

That upload is nice, I wonder if that's using 5G for uploading?  I was under the impression they haven't rolled out upload support yet so it uses 4G, thus my upload sucks as 4G on this mast was not great and is probably what causes the download to vary so much.
Pages: 1 [2]