Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTP Installation - Will an engineer install under the stairs?  (Read 1622 times)

craigv

Afternoon folks!

A question regarding FTTP installation, which should finally happen tomorrow! :fingers: I'd ideally like the ONT to be installed in an under the stairs cupboard, where the current FTTC equipment is which will no longer be required. I see the (standard?) ONT is 252.4mm x 215mm which will fit without much problem.

Is this likely to be something the Openreach engineer is prepared to do? It's not the smallest space, but I'm also not sure quite how intricate the work is that the OR engineer would need to do!

Much thanks!

C
RedHotAnt Unlimited 56k -> NTL 750kbit cable -> Virgin Size 4mbit cable -> Sky 5mbit ADSL -> Zen Internet 25mbit VDSL ->  Zen Internet 900mbit FTTP

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: FTTP Installation - Will an engineer install under the stairs?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 03:48:33 PM »

Yikes, can't say I like that arrangement.  Gas meters are meant to be in well ventilated spaces as that pressure vessel at the top is designed to release a small amount of gas during sudden pressure changes.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 04:13:13 PM »

You have to think about how they're going to get the fibre to there. 
Is there a BT duct in the cupboard under the stairs, or in the near vicinity?  Or can you see how the phone cable gets here?
If not they may be planning on bolting the CSP to the outside wall, and then positioning the ONT some place convenient on the inside.

If you want to remove the ambiguity, you could do like I did, work out where the fibre is going to likely come out of the ground / off the pole, and make sure there is an easy route in.  So in my case, I drilled the hole through the outside wall, and put in place a conduit between the under stairs area and that hole on the outside wall.  They were then more than happy to use the route I'd prepared.

I think it's unreasonable to expect OR to have to do very significant works to get it to a particular location, so you really need to try and work out the scope of the works for yourself, or spin the roulette wheel and maybe not get what you wanted on the day.

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 04:31:34 PM »

Yikes, can't say I like that arrangement.  Gas meters are meant to be in well ventilated spaces as that pressure vessel at the top is designed to release a small amount of gas during sudden pressure changes.

Not a particularly unusual historical arrangement given the age of the property - yes it doesn't meet regs now but they are not retroactively applied..

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 04:39:11 PM »

Our house, in fact our whole estate was built in the seventies, some have external gas meter cupboards, ours and I expect all the others the same as ours had it under the stairs. Ours is now externally mounted, but the only reason for this is that we needed a new gas pipe run in and there was no easy way to connect it to the existing meter, the engineers never once said it couldn't be under the stairs, probably because it already was. My brothers is also in his under stairs cupboard, his house was built in the sixties.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 04:57:06 PM »

Am I missing something here? There is already an ONT fitted to the wall in the picture.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 05:04:57 PM »

Looks like an original Openreach VDSL modem to me, not an ONT.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 05:05:10 PM »

Am I missing something here? There is already an ONT fitted to the wall in the picture.

That's an OpenReach FTTC modem.
It's connected to the master socket below it.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 05:06:56 PM »

I see the (standard?) ONT is 252.4mm x 215mm which will fit without much problem.
BTW, the current Nokia 1 port ONT I've had installed is much, much smaller than this - I'd say it's actually smaller than the NTE on my master socket.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2021, 05:10:31 PM »

I should have gone to specsavers  :lol: :lol: :lol:

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2021, 05:11:11 PM »

The current Nokia ONT is 82mm x 89mm.
The current Huawei ONT is 82mm x 90mm.

Both are as small as a master socket, considerably smaller than the dimensions of the older ONT's.

https://www.openreach.com/content/dam/openreach/openreach-dam-files/images/fibre-broadband/fibre-for-developers/guides-and-handbooks/oct-2020-update/1%2B0%20ONT%20factsheet.pdf

The ONT casing in the document linked is almost never provided so don't worry about budgeting space for that.

I've only seen them used on new builds where the ONT is installed prior to the occupant moving in.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 05:20:26 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

craigv

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 09:59:51 AM »

Hi all, I appreciate your feedback :) the install went without a hitch, and they were more than happy to put under the stairs.

I stopped short of pre-drilling the external hole, just in case this wasn't going to be acceptable for them, but had made sure everything was clear & the space was available to work, both under the stairs & along the main hallway wall, which was the only real viable alternative.

The whole process took almost 3 hours (including their lunch) and the fibre drop cable actually comes from a different pole to the copper, or rather I should say it skips an interim pole. The nokia ONT's certainly are teeny so mentioned there certainly was no issue of space!

It's much better than the 23mbit/ 20-35ms pings I was getting before :)
Thanks again!

C
RedHotAnt Unlimited 56k -> NTL 750kbit cable -> Virgin Size 4mbit cable -> Sky 5mbit ADSL -> Zen Internet 25mbit VDSL ->  Zen Internet 900mbit FTTP