Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BT increases target for boost to broadband  (Read 4604 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: BT increases target for boost to broadband
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 07:20:14 PM »

Huh?  ???  Could you expand on that, please? Perhaps a link . . .

It's a cracking bit of kit officially called the 'Marais Trenching Machine' ..... I've no links I can supply but I'm sure there'll be something on Google, somewhere ??  :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2021, 07:51:50 PM »

It's a cracking bit of kit officially called the 'Marais Trenching Machine' ..... I've no links I can supply but I'm sure there'll be something on Google, somewhere ??  :-\

b*cat plods off, silently, to do some research.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 09:39:15 PM »

@CarlT I am only guessing that's what the "plan" is, it's not officially announced anywhere, Openreach hasn't actually listed any exchanges in Wandsworth besides Balham over a year and a half ago!

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2021, 01:00:51 AM »

Community Fibre seem to be expanding quite a bit in the Wandsworth area - not just to flats - but houses as well.

As the Wandsworth exchange is also on the list of those to be closed, I also hope OR will prioritise full fibre in the area

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2021, 10:04:35 AM »

had a giggle at this line

Under BT’s current plans, around 20pc of the nation – Britain’s most sparsely populated regions – has been deemed unviable for commercially funded full-fibre upgrades

Last I checked Leicester City was quite densely populated. (current FTTP coverage from all providers combined under 3%)  I see there is also other city spots around the country that has nothing announced either, I know of course the reason for the government silence as generally these areas will be getting an altnet such as cityfibre and that they consider cable broadband as adequate, but the press need to do better research.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 10:18:34 AM by Chrysalis »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2021, 10:19:44 AM »

Community Fibre seem to be expanding quite a bit in the Wandsworth area - not just to flats - but houses as well.

As the Wandsworth exchange is also on the list of those to be closed, I also hope OR will prioritise full fibre in the area

They list "Wandsworth" on the build plan Excel spreadsheet here: https://www.openreach.com/content/dam/openreach/openreach-dam-files/images/fibre-broadband/fibre-first/Openreach_Full_Fibre_Build_Programme_Feb_2021.pdf

But only Balham is in build, it says three total exchanges are in "Wandsworth" so I am assuming Wandsworth itself is one of those?

Can I take this to mean that Wandsworth is due FTTP by 2024? Can anyone help, @Black Sheep?

stevebrass

• Reg Member
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2021, 05:42:13 PM »

South Clapham has been added, SW London exists!

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2021, 07:38:41 PM »

Openreach announced yesterday that they were increasing their FTTP target from 20 million to 25 million homes and businesses by Devember 2026.

This means 81% of households will be covered by BT's rollout. They are currently building at a rate of 2 million premises/year and will be ramping this up to around 4 million premises a year

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/05/bt-raise-fttp-broadband-target-to-25-million-uk-premises.html
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8983-openreach-increases-ambition-from-20-million-to-25-million-fttp-premises
https://newsroom.bt.com/bt-to-increase-and-accelerate-fttp-build-to-25m-premises-by-the-end-of-2026/

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2021, 07:45:45 PM »

Yup - we're also recruiting like it's going out of fashion. Another 2.5k staff required this year alone ....

Pages: 1 [2]

anything