Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My IP address appears to have been blocked today - Ideas as to what I can do?  (Read 2346 times)

spudgun

• Reg Member

I have had the same IP address via Zen for over 10 years now which is very useful to me as I am required to have a static IP address for access to my secure network at the University I work at and various research databases and projects that I am working on.

This morning I have noticed that I can no longer access various websites (examples - tesco.com, sky.com, ebay.co.uk, cbc.ca) as I get an Access Denied  'You don't have permission to access "http://groceries.tesco.com/groceries/" on this server. Reference #18.d5d2dead.1620387505.2ffd2a0" - the reference number at the end isn't static and changes with a refresh.

If I attempt to connect to any of these sites via 4g on my phone they work fine, switch wifi on my phone (i.e. direct the traffic via Zen) and it is back to access denied. Connecting via the University secure VPN (traffic via JANET) and the sites work fine again.

I've spoken to Zen and done all the usual things, flushing DNS cache, changing DNS, rebooting hardware and nothing worked.

Then Zen gave me access to a test username and password which took me away from my static IP address and everything started working again.

Zen's tech support and my line of reasoning suggests that it looks like my IP address has been blocked somehow and all they can suggest is getting a new static IP. Before I do this, however, is there anything else I could try or even find out how my IP address has come to be blocked and by whom? I'd rather not change IP address as I would need to contact a few different people to set things up again, so any suggestions would be gratefully received :-)

spudgun

• Reg Member

Further research has shown that my IP address is on the Akamai blacklist - I have raised an enquiry about this to see if they can fix it otherwise it looks like I will have to switch IP address :(

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

Is there a chance that any machine on your LAN (if you only have one IPv4 address for the whole LAN) is infected and up to no good?

What’s the story about IPv6? Can you use IPv6 to connect to the university? As for those websites, your web browser will prefer IPv6 if available, so it won’t be using your one IPv4 address, unless your IPv6 is rubbish, which it won’t be (see so called ‘Happy Eyeballs’ algorithm). Seems unusual to still be using IPv4 only, with an IPv6-capable ISP such as Zen. Maybe your router doesn’t support IPv6. If you do use IPv6 then your problem with many websites wouldn’t exist, but maybe all those particular web servers are old-fashioned and using IPv4 only still.

spudgun

• Reg Member

There are 5 devices on my lan

PC
Android tablet
Android phone
Sky HD
Nvidia shield

I've gone over the pc and Android devices today with a fine tooth comb and can see nothing odd in the running apps or processes and they are not sending any traffic that looks in the least bit strange. The AV (eset) is up to date on the pc, phone and tablet and the all security patches are up to date.

I can't really check the shield or sky box in the same way, but I'd be surprised if they would be an issue.

I don't currently have ipv6 on this line and I've not asked our university technical services team and other providers I have research database access or VPN access to if they support ipv6 as I've had my ipv4 address for over 10 years and have never looked in to it.

I reckon this must be an error of some kind on their database and zen think so too, so they are giving me a new IP address tomorrow. It will be a bit of a faff to update all my details next week and hopefully I've not missed anything here that will trigger blacklisting again.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

Do you have Plex, I see akamai can IP ban you for web scraping

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

What does Plex do that might trigger that and is it something you can turn off without losing ALL meta data functionality?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

spudgun

• Reg Member

No, I don't have Plex installed on my Shield, which is primarily used for Netflix and Youtube on the TV as my ancient Sony Bravia is not exactly 'smart' although the picture quality is very good!