Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Routers - How secure?  (Read 1932 times)

bob.gas

• Reg Member
Routers - How secure?
« on: May 06, 2021, 10:02:46 PM »

Sorry if I'm going over old ground here...

Exactly how safe are routers from hackers these days?
I've heard from a friend, who reads the Which mag ( I told him to cancel his subscription lol)
he's worried and told me to check mine.
I have a Talk Talk router, and apparently, I'm up to date with it. :fingers:
how is it possible to check, please?
I appreciate that NO router is safe from hack's...right?
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Routers?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 10:52:16 PM »

That Which? article isn't worth paying too much attention to. It went into no specifics. Had it listed actual software problems then I'd pay attention but it just mentioned weak passwords.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 07:53:45 AM »

That Which? article isn't worth paying too much attention to. It went into no specifics. Had it listed actual software problems then I'd pay attention but it just mentioned weak passwords.

It did only focus on ISP supplied routers and as well as password issues did also mention lack of updates on:
Sky SR101
Sky SR102
TalkTalk HG523a
TalkTalk HG635
TalkTalk HG533
Virgin Media Super Hub
Virgin Media Super Hub 2

and local network vulnerabilities on the EE Brightbox 2.

BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 09:07:53 AM »

It did only focus on ISP supplied routers and as well as password issues did also mention lack of updates on:
Sky SR101
Sky SR102
TalkTalk HG523a
TalkTalk HG635
TalkTalk HG533
Virgin Media Super Hub
Virgin Media Super Hub 2

and local network vulnerabilities on the EE Brightbox 2.

Was the article sponsored by BT?

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Routers - How secure?
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 09:54:39 AM »

I think you need to define 'secure'. The only 100% 'secure' router is one in its box switched off.  :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 06:13:43 PM »

I believe that my router is pretty safe from hacks either from within the LAN or from the internet. This vague belief is from an even more vague belief about the way the software was written. I have also inspected the firewalling’s blocking of attempts to communicate with the router’s own internal services. Over-confidence like this is deadly, but it is at least combined with a healthy dose of paranoia. I’ve never seen a security-related fix mentioned in the list of software updates.

If you do have random software or dubious visitors on your LAN then you might have a problem. But I would set strong passwords on your router, apply all updates and you will probably be ok. Make sure no one can access the router’s services from the internet.

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 05:04:03 PM »

I'm probably still living in the past, as I remember reading (here I think, or C/Active?) that routers have their own firewalls and are very safe.
Has this changed in this day & age?
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 07:09:41 PM »

I'm probably still living in the past, as I remember reading (here I think, or C/Active?) that routers have their own firewalls and are very safe.
Has this changed in this day & age?

Poorly configured firewalls leaving ports open on the WAN side that shouldn't be.
The ability for malware running in a browser to hack into the LAN side of the router.

I do think the risks are overblown, but due to the wide range of routers from excellent to terrible, old to new, and most users completely oblivious to how anything works....
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 11:29:58 AM »

I had a bit of trouble with films etc stopping midway.
Called TT ( got through very quick would you believe)
The guy I spoke to went through a load of tests etc and said he thought there is a fault somewhere
Sent a BT eng round a week later. He found a burnt-out  ( I think he said) wire in the master box) fixed it and did more test's
He did say the router is a very good one (Which made me feel better lol).
Whatever he did certainly improved the range of the router, the amazon echo-dot we had in the summerhouse now works, which didn't before.

SE

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 03:30:21 PM »

Bob you can go to
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
Do a full port scan

I once had a linksys router many years ago and it had a few open ports so returned it.

If i remember a bt one had two or so open ports,
You will have a firewall on your PC's and can get norton and so on

For Android you can use no root firewall, that uses part of the vpn so you cant use that and a vpn at the same time.

But you should get a none isp router in most cases if you can
Dont worry about setup as the newer ones ask what isp you have and they set up then its just your username and password from your isp

I had a isp router and PCs started turning on in the night, and lets just say they weren't just ticking over, the hdds and cpu cores were very high, plus the network meter showed a lot of traffic.
I have a video and screens of this but i cant get to them at the moment.
The log showed a tr69 comand sent every time they turned on
Binning the isp router for a kits review one stopped this right away.

A wiki page and other sites said the tr69 database is used by your isp and the spooks
but as of late its been edited and references to the missuse by the spooks seems to have been removed
Though if i remember right its in the book GCHQ taking back the internet (i think thats the title)

Oh and dont put you devices in a DMZ if you dont need to, also keep plug n play off

For PC's and tablets/phones try malware bytes
It blocks websites, stops drivebys and so on
For PC's and none isp routers use a DNS like addguard as it blocks adds and bad sites
And open DNS, they go in the router so cover all devices on your network not just PC's
For a pc by pc option use DNS Angel (you can edit the .cfg) to lockdown kids pcs.

Also on PC's use a modified hosts file from https://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
Ive never seen a add since 2002  :)

In the end how safe is safe
What was that worm called, stuxnet worm, now that was high level stuff  ;)

« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 03:45:27 PM by SE »

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 10:55:50 AM »

Great, thank you SE for the link to "Shields up".
I remember it now from years back when I think kitz on CA forums also gave it to me but forgot all about that site.
anyway, did the most common ports check and true stealth analysis has flagged two green  Passed box's.
And everything is marked "Stealth".
So I assume it's all good (so far) yes?
Do I need to do anything else for peace of mind? ;)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 01:28:51 AM »

Shield Up is known in some circles as an absolutely paranoid tinfoil hat site.  So if that site says you're okay, you're probably as okay as you can be. ;)

It does potentially get more complicated if you have IPv6 though.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 08:06:51 AM »

It does potentially get more complicated if you have IPv6 though.

Is there an easily available test tool for that too as I'm interested now?
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 09:30:17 AM »

For iOS and MacOS there is the app https://networktoolbox.de/ which has an ipv6 port scan function and it also has a rage of specific router tests for common vulnerabilities / security bugs. See earlier discussion and review.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 09:35:43 AM by Weaver »

SE

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 10:13:49 AM »

Bob
What hardware have you got?
I guess its a mix of computers and WiFi devices
But anything that can use a hosts file (I think Linux can) use a modded one
To test software or extend a trial a little longer I use sandboxie

Yep shields up is a bit tinfoil but  :) but handy
Today isps seem to do more that before, there's less viruses