Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyone got BT's 1Gbps service yet @ £ 60 a month??  (Read 3932 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Anyone got BT's 1Gbps service yet @ £ 60 a month??
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2021, 06:07:49 PM »

Thank you for posting your hardware list.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2021, 11:12:54 AM »

Carl, I’m being thick. What does DAC stand for here (not digital-to-analog-converter :-) ) ?

I have always liked Mikrotik. I need to read the manuals some time, concentration permitting.

@snadge - I too am trying to comprehend the awesome speed compared to my network.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2021, 11:35:32 AM »

The results are a bit slower than they used to be as I have de-tuned things a bit, for the benefit of Zoom, fewer CRC errors = slightly slower sync rate, but no TCP retransmissions anymore, so that’s a win.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2021, 12:44:28 PM »

Carl, I’m being thick. What does DAC stand for here (not digital-to-analog-converter :-) ) ?

Direct Attach Copper, Sir. It's twinaxial cabling with SFP+ connectors either side.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2021, 02:03:44 PM »

@ Weaver - i can only imagine what it must be like to live with a slow connection, especially if you are a heavy user like myself, i use about 400GB a month with streaming services etc and downloads, currently I get 62Mbps (66,000k sync) on tests, with 17Mbps up (20,000k sync), so I consider myself lucky.

It was the full 80/20 for the first 8 months, then a 4-hour dropout from 12-4 am (on the dot 12-4 too, as per DSL-stats) led to my connection suddenly being synced 17,000k slower, I've had 3 engineers out that declare there is no fault or change to my line, just that its 'probably' uptake of higher speeds by neighbours causing more crosstalk.

Im not convinced, because I im pretty sure it doesn't happen in one large chunk like that in a 4-hour window, then remain that way for 3+ years on. In fact, since turning my router off at night this last month, after a few days I've pulled 3,000k back...somehow...from 63,000k to 66,000k

The last engineer brought a manager, as Openreach were testing a new piece of "testing kit" that tests from both ends or something? and they were trying it to see ...IF THE KIT WAS STILL FAULTY!! lol... bring working gear to test lines, not half-baked new inventions...they left, came back and said yeah the new gear is working and there are no issues we can find on your line.

Then BT Wholesale and Plusnet bring down my MGALS (Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed) from 61,000k to 51,000k mid-contract which im pretty sure OFCOM would have something to say about that, between contracts yes! otherwise, you could be widdled down to much slower, but told your still within your MGALS whilst paying the premium!

My third 18-month contract with Plusnet ends in December, and I am looking to BT possibly for FTTP, or other ISP on FTTC.

@ CarlT - I also had to look up DAC and SFP+ - why is that better than ethernet?
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2021, 06:05:08 PM »

It isn't, it carries Ethernet.

I presume you mean 10 Gbit over RJ-45 / 10GBase-T. The transceivers run so hot that once you have enough of them in a switch Mikrotik recommend you add extra cooling. They are power hungry and, frankly, pointless unless you're using existing cabling. DACs are cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and work every bit as well. I use fibre between rooms and DACs for anything below 3 metres that needs 10 Gbit. I use gigabit copper transceivers for normal stuff.

If/when I need 10GBase-T to connect to things I'll use it, however I make a point of avoiding it where I can. The desktop PC I mentioned has a network card in it with an SFP+ port rather than a 10GBase-T port. If I'd gone with 10GBase-T I'd have paid more for the network card and more for the module for the switch. As it was the card was cheaper and both modules were sorted with a less than 20 quid DAC.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2021, 10:13:07 PM »

I have DAC for my NAS, 10GBase-T for my second switch as it only has two 10G ports and is fanless.

I've thought of adding a Mikrotik 5 port SFP+ switch, the problem being I've nowhere to plug it in and adding another 4x adapter to the UPS would make the already messy cable clutter even worse.  The trouble with having nowhere to put a rack so its just a plain shelf in the hallway with zero option for cable management.

Plus my main desktop only has PCIe x4 (as its an ITX board with an M.2 to PCIe x16 slot adapter) so using the common Intel SFP+ cards is off the table, as they are x8.  Plus that machine is using 5G-BaseT which is more than enough anyway.

Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2021, 12:14:51 AM »

Sorry forgot to mention, SFP+ are modules that plug into network devices. They are good for flexibility and for saving money - you can either pay for blank sockets and then the transceivers as you need or pay to fill every slot with a transceiver.

I use optical, RJ45 and DACs. I have a switch that's mostly gigabit Ethernet ports because I needed the ports and it's insanely good value.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0747TBTDX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_M14MQKBGWCGKCX9G6SDS

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2021, 08:24:26 AM »

I'm using fibre between my server and switch, which has one SFP+ port, and 4 X 10Gbps RJ45 ports, as I wanted to use my existing Cat5e cabling. In the PC's I'm using Asus XG-C100C 10Gb ethernet cards, picked my last one up for £32 including postage, which was a right bargain - it was listed under  some weird category.

Certainly speeds up moving Blu-ray backups and Chia plots around  ;D
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2021, 09:00:50 AM »

That's awfully lucky, my first one was £89.99 and the second one £84.95.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2021, 08:45:45 PM »

Ouch, other two were £60 & £65, I just bide my time.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2021, 10:21:02 PM »

Eagerly looking forward to getting my MicroTik CCR2004-16G-2S+ tomorrow morning. First time user of both MicroTik and RouterOS.

The only device on my LAN which currently supports 10Gbit is my server (two onboard RJ45 ports). At a later date I will upgrade my switch to something that allows me to get 10Gbit or 10Gbit x 2 between my server and the switch, and then will need more 10Gbit ports as and when presumably more devices in the future support greater than 1Gbit connections. However, that's still some way off and isn't necessary at the moment. Just one of those 'nice to have' things, especially transferring large files between Unraid (from the NVMe RAID array at least) and another device that can do multiple gigabit.

P.S. Sorry I saw the thread's title is about BT's 1Gbps service, but noticed the replies, guess it's going off-topic? :D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2021, 11:21:29 PM »

We do have a tendency to go off on tangents on this forum, fortunately its mostly allowed or the threads get split.

In contrast to LTT Forum where someone recently revived a thread from a year ago to update that an ISP which did not allow bridge mode on their router now does, and they got a good telling off and the thread locked for necro posting - even though it was useful information and made no sense to start a new thread for it.
Pages: 1 [2]