Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ISP's / Exchange / Cablelinks.  (Read 2354 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
ISP's / Exchange / Cablelinks.
« on: May 05, 2021, 02:55:56 PM »

Is there any way to see which ISP's are in a certain Exchange ?.
Also who have 'Cablelinks' in place for FTTC/FTTP connections ?.
Or is this BT Private privileged information ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: ISP's / Exchange / Cablelinks.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 03:33:37 PM »

There's no way to check.

There are also FTTP only L2S and if your FTTP is connected to that particular L2S a provider would need a whole new GEA cablelink to serve you.
They cannot use their existing FTTC/FTTP GEA cablelink for these connections.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 05:42:47 PM »

OK thanks.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 09:48:43 PM »

If Talktalk Business had a 'Point of Presence' in a exchange already, would they also have cablelinks to the OLT Fibre Headend?

Found this on a BT Openreach Doc.
                                        -----------------------------------------                 
   Point of Handover and FTTP Network Infrastructure
The eMLC dialogue service identifies the relevant Headend L2S which will be located within the Point of
Handover serving an end customer’s premises. Openreach provides reports of existing and planned
GEA FTTP points of handover to CPs on the Openreach portal. CPs should contact their sales teams to
gain access to the reports.
Within each Openreach GEA-FTTP PoH there will be multiple GEA-FTTP Headend L2Ss, each serving a
defined area covered by the Exchange. In most PoH there will therefore be more than one L2. In
order to sell GEA-FTTP services to all end customers in the area, the CP will need to have one or more
GEA Cablelink connection from each L2S to equipment in the same PoH.
Ordering the GEA Cablelink and referencing this in the GEA-FTTP and FoD orders is explained further
below.
2.4.2 Ordering a GEA Cablelink Connection
The GEA Cablelink product is a simple fibre connection from the Openreach Headend L2S to the CPs’
network switch in the same PoH. It also has defined bandwidth capacity (1Gb or 10Gb) providing
capacity to transmit end customer traffic from/to the CPs’ network.

Referencing a GEA Cablelink connection within the GEA-FTTP order
When placing a GEA-FTTP order, it is mandatory to provide a GEA Cablelink (or ‘OGHP Service ID’)
within that order. This reference is used to ensure that the GEA-FTTP service is configured with
reference to the correct GEA Cablelink towards which the GEA-FTTP traffic must be routed.
The eMLC dialogue service shows the correct Layer 2 Switch ID which is required when placing the
GEA-FTTP order. A CP should use the provided Layer 2 Switch ID to look up the required GEA
Cablelink identifier in their own inventory to use as part of the order. Openreach will validate these
details to ensure that they are correct and will not progress the order without the valid Layer 2 Switch
ID.

[Moderator edited to fix one typo.]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:17:53 PM by burakkucat »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 11:31:45 PM »

If Talktalk Business had a 'Point of Presence' in a exchange already, would they also have cablelinks to the OLT Fibre Headend?

No. A service provider can have a point of presence within an exchange building but it might only be relevant for end-users connecting via xDSL products.

As j0hn described, above, the cablelink from the provider's equipment needs to go to the correct L2S, the one which feeds the OLT at the headend of the PON.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 01:22:48 AM »

Okay. The Openreach document refers to PoH - this is a physical place and can be called a headend.

Within this are usually multiple L2S. These are both switches and OLTs depending on line cards in them.

You are either served by a new OLT hence new L2S that TTB were awaiting connection to or their current Cablelink needed upgrading before letting FTTP loose on it.

I am served by an L2S/OLT that terminates a bunch of Huawei FTTC cabinets, too, so was good to go.

Where Nokia OLTs are going in these may well terminate nothing other than FTTP so each CP will need a link to each OLT.

There is no cross connect on the forwarding / data plane between the OLTs. They do not talk to each other and cannot send traffic between them. They are separate network elements sharing only a management network.

PoH / headend = Openreach building with one or more L2S / OLTs in it.

Cablelinks go to each of the L2S/OLTs within the PoH.

Can have more than one to an L2S but need at least one.

Hope that's clearer.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 10:59:28 AM »

Ok thanks both, it's coming a bit clearer now.

Our PON ends in a quite large exchange and I could not imagine that I am the only TTB customer, but like you say it could be new equipment and have no existing cablelinks .

As I understand our PON is fed from a Node that supplies the nearby Market town 3 miles away and the OLT is in this large exchange (not the main one) in the next city 12 miles away  :-\
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 11:22:52 AM by tickmike »

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 08:28:08 PM »

So if TTB were checking with BTW for them to supply me with FTTP why would the cablelink be missing as I though BTW would have already bought one off BT Openreach and it would be in place or would TTB want to link our PON to there backhaul ? so want a new cablelink .

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 10:10:41 PM »

So if TTB were checking with BTW for them to supply me with FTTP why would the cablelink be missing as I though BTW would have already bought one off BT Openreach and it would be in place or would TTB want to link our PON to there backhaul ? so want a new cablelink .

TTB would not be checking with BTW, they would be checking with Openreach.

And it would be a cable link to their backhaul, and if they don't have any presence in that telephone exchange, you can't order FTTP from them, even though it's available over BTW providers.

Gamma tends to sell via resellers.
Cityfibre purchased Enta and they do offer BTW FTTP, but I think they only offer 80/20.

There's an Openreach database that communication providers can reference to see if FTTP is available, just need a postcode and house number to reference it.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 12:29:30 PM »

TTB only use their own backhaul so they need their own GEA cablelink.

TTB buy direct from OpenReach and would order the cablelink from OpenReach. They don't deal with BTW.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 06:30:09 PM by burakkucat »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

anything