Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Thomas and the water glass  (Read 577 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Thomas and the water glass
« on: May 05, 2021, 06:30:17 AM »

Every night now, Thomas comes into the bedroom, back from his hunting, frozen and wet. I keep a glass full of water and a jug by the side of my bed. He recently has taken to trying to drink out of the glass every night, something that I don’t particularly like. There is a water bowl next door in the bathroom for the cats and he must know about that as all the others use it. But for some reason this glass seems to be special. I noticed tonight that he couldn’t get his head in far enough to get down to reach the water, so was very frustrated. He went off to lie on the bed next to Janet but came back twice for repeat attempts.

What is so sacred about my glass, I wonder? Is The Master’s water somehow special?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Thomas and the water glass
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 05:46:42 PM »

If the water in the glass is good enough for a lesser being's consumption (i.e. you) then it must be of the minimum standard acceptable to a superior being (i.e. Thomas).  ::)

No human can even partially understand the workings of the mind of Felis Catus . . .  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 12:16:15 AM »

There was me thinking all cats like to drink out of glasses of water left on the bedside table.   That is exactly why I use bottles of water :D

-----
btw... my daughter used to keep a plastic glass by her bed for one of the cats who slept in her room. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 06:24:46 PM »

I’m thinking of getting an extra glass just for him. The water bowl is right next door, as I said, but this seems to be The Water of the Gods. Weird that he doesn’t use the water bowl, afaik. Perhaps he’s afraid of getting trapped in the bathroom by other cats, but he’s confident enough to be on the bed with two orientals

Beileag, one of our Skye cats, is normally also on the bed, but she runs when she sees Thomas, so it’s always just two others sharing the bed. The two boys (orientals) sit on me, and Thomas sits on Janet often. If either of the two orientals are sitting on Janet, and Thomas jumps up, then there is spitting and he runs away, frustrated, having failed to get his dose of Janet-love. Buidheag, our fifth cat, a Skye cat, is rarely seen in the bedroom. She is frightened of Thomas. Spends her time either downstairs or out hunting.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 01:07:51 AM »

Perhaps the water in your glass is likely to be cooler/fresher...  or he's learnt at one point its fresher water than in the bowl.   It also wont have been used by the other cats  so the glass will have your scent on and not the other cats.

I've had several cats who like drinking from my glass, in fact most of them would.  Ziggy will, which is why I use a water bottle and refill it.   He will drink from any of the taps and also the beaker in the bathroom.  I once had a cat who would drink anywhere other than the water bowl - from taps, the pond, the bird bath, rain water bowls... and we even caught him drinking from in the toilet a couple of times.   Had to be so careful.  Perhaps they prefer the shape of the glass or because its clear or just because they learn its usually fresher.   

Now that he's started Im afraid its nigh on impossible to stop.  I found it easier to just use a glass that was his - Oooh - there's a thought that occured whilst typing this out ...  its all boy cats that have done this.  Zoe doesn't.    Then either use a bottle/sports beaker/lidded cup for your own.  Or perhaps just cover your glass with a cup coaster so Thomas cant drink out of it.    Depends on the cat - Zigs is quite clever he watches and learns so the coaster trick is useless with him and stood a good chance of spillage.     If the water is low that doesn't deter and he will use a paw - which is also horrid hygiene.  So water bottles it is.   I tend to drink sparkling water, so I just refill and reuse a small bottle from the large bottle I keep in the fridge.

As you are in the bedroom all day, you could perhaps try a cat water fountain.   I've seen a lovely zen garden style ceramic water fountain that I'd love to get for mine, but siting the fountain in a place that is convenient for me and him; unfortunately isn't near an electric socket. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 07:02:23 AM »

Thankyou for your insight. Why is it all boys? I use a covered water jug and refill my glass from it. The water bowl is changed at least every day and usually last thing at night if not also at other times. I’m wondering if he’s had a bad encounter with another cat and so doesn’t dare go into the bathroom. I’ll definitely think about the water bottle thing if he becomes a nightmare. He didn’t go to my glass at all last night, just sat in Janet purring his head off for a while and then left. He’s out hunting most of the night. We could smell straw on him when he came in, which meant that he had been in the garage where the donkey straw is kept, watching out for rodents, and good for him.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 11:35:39 PM »

>> Why is it all boys?

It might not be..   it was just a thought that occurred to me whilst I was typing, that it's only ever my boys that have done it.   Boys can be more territorial than girls and don't seem to like other cats' scent so I wonder if that may have something to do with it.     I don't know why, but its not unusual for cats to do it...   there's a funny vid I've seen before where a cat keeps dragging the water glass back when the owner keeps trying to move it out of its way.   
-----

anything