Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Someone is using your Apple ID in: “London”  (Read 750 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Someone is using your Apple ID in: “London”
« on: May 04, 2021, 10:03:03 PM »

I may have had a moan some while back about this, so apologies. I now get a message from Apple when I am using one of my other iPads warning me about the use of my Apple ID account, simply because I have logged in using a different one of my machines. The message contains an utterly laughable attempt at geolocating the other me, and nowadays I always seem to be in central London! Presumably it’s actually the result of trying to geolocate the place where some of Andrews and Arnold’s servers or routers are parked. Geolocation is always such a horrible joke. Does it ever work for anyone?

I have even - as an experiment - tried adding geolocation info into the dns for my own boxes’ IPv4 addresses to try to give things a little help. Mind you, Apple might be using IPv6 not IPv4 at certain times.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Someone is using your Apple ID in: “London”
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 12:07:41 AM »

Basic geolocation is based on where the IP address range is registered to, which is generally your ISP.

The next level up uses WiFi and Bluetooth triangulation but obviously that depends on people not changing their routers since the last time the database for an area was updated.  Not sure where Bluetooth comes in there, possibly only public places that deliberately place Bluetooth beacons such as shopping malls for indoor GPS.

For example, Google collect nearby WiFi networks and GPS location when they come round doing streetview updates.  So you can get a rough idea of the area based on which networks can be seen and how strong their signal is compared to what the Streetview car saw.

In theory they could just have all users collecting the information and feeding it back to the cloud, but as it needs GPS to collate it all that would kill the battery life so they probably don't.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 12:12:22 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Someone is using your Apple ID in: “London”
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 05:31:38 AM »

I had forgotten about this ‘advanced’, as opposed to ‘basic’, geolocation. That really works well; I’ve noticed Apple using it. When my wife drives past a house, her reported position in the Apple geolocation system suddenly updates.