Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Gaming router wanted for Sky connection on 44Mbps  (Read 1034 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Gaming router wanted for Sky connection on 44Mbps
« on: May 03, 2021, 12:40:06 PM »

Hi all

my pal is on sky Q-Hub getting 44Mbps and is LAN'd into PC and sky box but there are an Xbox One X, Android box and 3 mobiles using wifi (5 devices on wi-fi and two on LAN) - I've explained he needs to maybe look at getting a Sky (MER encapsulating) router so it works and research comes up with

a) TP-link archer vr2800
b) Billion BiPAC 8900AX-2400

he gets 22ms ping and 44Mbps throughput obviously on a 80Mb Tier so must live a bit away from the cabinet, however, every now and again during gameplay on his £5000 PC he gets packet loss and I've explained its all the devices in uses dropping his packets cos they are too slow to get to his PC in time, and that he should look at a sky gaming router with decent gaming QoS

can anyone recommend or offer advice please?

thanks in advance
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Gaming router wanted for Sky connection on 44Mbps
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 01:06:00 PM »

Any chance of knowing the budget?
The tp-link is around £100 and the billion is near £300.

Though I'm a fan of a Zyxel in bridge mode with a Mikrotik as the router: https://r1ch.net/blog/routerboard

Alternatively there's Netduma
https://netduma.com/
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 01:11:33 PM by meritez »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 01:51:29 PM »

budget is anything but lower the better obviously... its due to SKY's MER limiting the routers he can buy, dunno if you can or how to bridge another router to sky's q-box...and wouldnt the QoS fail as the packets are handled by the Q box first?

cheers

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 07:07:54 PM »

While personally yes I prefer my own equipment,  I wouldn't necessarily assume its the router at fault here.

Sky Q supposedly make a lot of guarantees about monitoring the line quality so I'd be asking them questions.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 07:39:10 AM »

The Asus GT-AC2900 and GT-AX11000 are gaming routers supported by Merlin firmware (which means they support DHCP 60/61 MER authentication).

P.S.
As meritez suggested, I'd also use a Zyxel in bridge mode.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 10:52:58 AM by hushcoden »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 05:06:57 PM »

I've never seen anyone have anything good to say about a "gaming" router, its just a marketing ploy, especially once you installed Merlin which surely has the same feature set across all supported models?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 05:32:28 PM »

thanks, guys n gals

but it turned out to be a waste of our time n effort, I spent hours researching routers that would work on sky  -  yet  -- he would not test the connection with everything off to ensure its not congestion, only for 30 minutes in the AM and had no problems all afternoon while the house was empty then he went for his tea, I said surely the wife n son can watch TV for 1 hour during peak time ..NO WAY... was his answer... so told him straight "well nothing I can do to help cos you refuse to test properly ...tbh I think its both cos his line quality on TBB (with everything off) wasn't best results and only just made it into the A group and was WORSE than his average for his ISP, quality was 0.51 worse than 0.43 for Sky - mines 0.1 with an average of 0.26 for FTTC (doesn't say ISP)

so when he complains, I'm just gonna say aye tough, isn't it?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 05:43:38 AM »

It would be worth looking at modem stats to see if there are CRC errors or ES reported. Some ISPs offer quality monitoring that helps to detect packet loss. ;-)

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 09:24:30 AM »

Nah, he can suffer, he won't test properly so can be sure, he is a technophobe and can't even navigate windows let alone log into his router n I'm not remote assisting it either cos he's making it difficult so he can suffer, he will get sick soon and cave in and test properly hopefully - I go along (its 10 miles) for dinner on rare occasions, I will look at the router stats then, didn't think skys routers would be able to pull those stats, would have to take my zyxell along n should of when I was there the other day but didn't think on...

cheers