Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: My parents line  (Read 4635 times)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: My parents line
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2021, 10:14:38 PM »

I can manage Netflix on 10mpbs on HD. Don’t know why you have so many issues.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2021, 06:51:50 PM »

@adslmax thanks for the update.

These lantiq chipset routers are starting to concern me, they seem to fail by artificially lowering the sync of the FTTC connection.

It's a shame billion no longer manufacture routers.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2021, 06:53:47 PM »

@adslmax thanks for the update.

These lantiq chipset routers are starting to concern me, they seem to fail by artificially lowering the sync of the FTTC connection.

It's a shame billion no longer manufacture routers.

Billion isn't lantiq chipset - these are excellent router Billion 8800NL - it a broadcom chipset! Plus Billion 8800NL wireless 2.4GHz are fine for up to 40/10 FTTC

No issues at all for my parents since yesterday as I believe there is ongoing work at the cabinet pcp9
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 06:56:17 PM by adslmax »

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2021, 09:21:20 PM »

I think many here think it’s in the interest of @adslmax mental health to stop this behaviour. Unfortunately the responses to posts fuel the issues I’m thinking
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2021, 05:38:54 AM »

Billion isn't lantiq chipset - these are excellent router Billion 8800NL - it a broadcom chipset! Plus Billion 8800NL wireless 2.4GHz are fine for up to 40/10 FTTC

No issues at all for my parents since yesterday as I believe there is ongoing work at the cabinet pcp9

Plus even Lantiq has its place, it performs consistently better on my ECI lines.  So far it seems all the instability I had on my second line was a combination of the damaged drop cable and the Plusnet Hub failing, its been rock-solid since it was replaced and I switched to the Openreach ECI modem, even though it has really high upstream FEC errors.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2021, 11:27:14 AM »

Plusnet are sending engineer out next week to sort out my parents telephone line as it making cracking noisey on the phone. (17070 option 2)

Broadband was speed issues all over the place! They are really fed up now. They want to get out of their renewal contract 24 months contract last month because they want to sign up Virgin Media 108/10 for £25 a month (the same amount what they are paying for crappy 40/10 down to 11/0.8) PN told them to give them a chance to put it right but say they will not written off their contract at this stage. My parents are very angry. G.fast isn't available because the cabinet is approx over 500m away.

Downgraded to ADSL2+ would be no good for them as they used to be on it, only getting 9/0.1

Their router line attenuation has jumped to 22dB from 15dB that very big jump! but SNR still 3dB on downstream

PN should written off their contract because it below Openreach minimum speed at Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps) at 46.7

« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 11:37:08 AM by adslmax »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2021, 12:01:30 PM »

... PN told them to give them a chance to put it right but say they will not written off their contract at this stage. My parents are very angry.
PN should written off their contract because it below Openreach minimum speed at Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps) at 46.7

PN are behaving exactly as I would expect them to. They have to be given a reasonable chance to fix the issue before expecting them to release your parents from the contract. Just because your parents can get a faster speed from VM for the same money is totally irrelevant here as they have entered into a 24 month contract with PN. Once PN, via Openreach, have had two or three failed goes at fixing it then I would expect them to release the contract, but not before that.
The 46.7 Downstream Handback Threshold is also not relevant here as they are on a 40/10 contract, so if PN can get it to sync at that speed, or whatever speed they guaranteed, then they have fulfilled their contract obligation.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 12:26:28 PM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2021, 09:30:30 PM »

The engineer been this morning found a fault on the phone line outside the street. He spend nearly 4 hours to fix the fault.

Openreach left report to Plusnet:

Dear Mr & Mrs **********,

We have had confirmation from our suppliers that your phone fault should now be fixed. We have checked the line and everything appears to be in order but we are not able to account for every eventuality.

If your service is still not working please get back in touch and we will be happy to investigate further for you.

*INTERNAL*
Main Fault Location: CA (Fault located at customer apparatus (appointment required))
Fault Code: NSY (Noisy)
Clear Code: 4.2
Clear Message: Jumpers & Terminations

Line is now back on 40/10 sync rate with BTw profile at 38.6Mbps but PN current line speed remain at 31Mbps as I have asked PN to push this PN profile to match BTw profile they refused and say it will do itself. Bunch of PN misery staff don't care!

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2021, 08:36:41 AM »

Line is now back on 40/10 sync rate with BTw profile at 38.6Mbps but PN current line speed remain at 31Mbps as I have asked PN to push this PN profile to match BTw profile they refused and say it will do itself. Bunch of PN misery staff don't care!

I don't know how that side of the PN network works but perhaps it does just need a little time to see that the line is stable again and return it to full rate. If that is the case then your comment about PN's staff is rather unfair.
Be happy that the line is working again and that your parents can use the internet. If their main use is Netflix I doubt the bit of missing speed will even be noticed.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2021, 05:42:42 PM »

I don't know how that side of the PN network works but perhaps it does just need a little time to see that the line is stable again and return it to full rate. If that is the case then your comment about PN's staff is rather unfair.
Be happy that the line is working again and that your parents can use the internet. If their main use is Netflix I doubt the bit of missing speed will even be noticed.
 :)

It was my understanding the PN profile only does anything for customers with a static IP address.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2021, 05:55:05 PM »

Their line been updated to match ip profile now  :)

I off to wales tomorrow for a few day break.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2021, 10:52:06 PM »

It was my understanding the PN profile only does anything for customers with a static IP address.

That is what I've been told by a highly reputable source at PN...  and I doubt Max's parents would have a need to pay for a static IP. 

I have asked PN to push this PN profile to match BTw profile they refused and say it will do itself. Bunch of PN misery staff don't care!

TBH max I think that is quite unfair in view of the fact the service that you have had from them and the amount you pay.    Whilst PN have plenty of faults and many areas where things could be improved,  I doubt many ISPs would be so patient with your repeated requests to run GEA test results and immediately reset line rates rather than wait to see if the system caught up.   
Under the circumstances, PN have IMHO quite often been extremely helpful towards you and always seem to have given you a very reasonable monthly subscription cost.  I don't think you realise quite how lucky you have been to get that amount of CS support for what will leave them little profit.   

Anyhow moving on...

I off to wales tomorrow for a few day break.

Enjoy your break Max,  have a good time :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2021, 09:26:21 AM »

Netflix works for us on ADSL2 at 2.5/0.7  :-\, they need an Ethernet cable to there TV and not rely on WiFi connection.
Surely it's just as likely that a 2.5/0.7 ADLS2 line is stable, and so given a slow yet stable line you can adapt the stream to give reasonable results within that envelope, but a VDSL connection at 21/0.5 that was recently at 40/10 is likely indicative of an active fault condition which will cause highly variable results, breaking often, resyncing, etc, all of which will interrupt attempts to stream video.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2021, 05:08:27 PM »

Engineer been here for nearly two hours. Replaced new line card at the cabinet and outside down the street found someone line was interference to my parents line too close to each others, resolved this one. Resetted DLM to open profile. Max line rate 81 down and 29 up but capped at 40/10.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2021, 05:12:49 PM »

[off topic]
I thought you were going to have some time away, in Wales, Max?  :-\
[/off topic]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2] 3