Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Information Superhighway [1994]  (Read 1191 times)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
The Information Superhighway [1994]
« on: April 29, 2021, 02:40:04 PM »

Interesting clip from BBC Archives about this newfangled internet thingy (Tomorrow's World 1994).

https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1387760076606230531
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: The Information Superhighway [1994]
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 02:06:03 AM »

To which the US telcos said "nope, we're not investing if we can't be a monopoly".

Which is why my friends parents in Texas "just" got VDSL and its still under 20Mbit. (though I do not know what package they bought)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 06:22:33 PM »

If I recall correctly, BT were slow to embrace the internet.  There was a time when you had a BT account for your phone line, and an ISP for your dial-up internet.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 09:07:43 PM »

If I recall correctly, BT were slow to embrace the internet.  There was a time when you had a BT account for your phone line, and an ISP for your dial-up internet.

Some of us never moved to phone calls combined with their ISP.  I still pay BT for my line and my ISP for the broadband side.

The more alarming thing was when you had to pay for your phone line, phone calls (at normal rate) AND ISP.

I was clocking up £300/month phone bills when I first went online, before they introduced flat-rate services.  Even then you would have to redial every hour.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 10:46:42 AM »

Fascinating 27yr roll back.   I love some of the old Tomorrow's World archives.

BT were slow to embrace the internet.

BT actually wanted to invest in a Fibre Optic network back in the 90's.   It was Maggie Thatcher's government policies who scuppered those plans and wouldn't allow them to. 

Whilst not full fibre,  BT Wholesale was all set up to roll out both telephony and data 21CN when Ben Verwayen was at the helm in about 2006.  They invested multi-millions in what back then what was relatively new WDM Fibre Optic backhauls and MSANs.  The plan was to invest in an IP based Next Generation Network expected to cost £10 Billion.   

iirc they only got about a dozen or so exchanges live before those plans were pulled too.  I can't recall the exact reason why, but it was at the time when OFTEL (OFCOM) et al decided that BT had too much of a monopoly and needed to form an entirely separate company.    So BT then spent multi-millions in forming Openreach and brand new livery for their staff, vans etc. 

Even in the clip it mentions that BT were not allowed to invest in cable, yet plenty of other start up companies did (most eventually became Virgin Media).     Makes you wonder where we could have been if it were not for government and regulatory authorities hadn't placed such strict legislation about what a monopoly could and couldn't do.       
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 10:48:46 AM »

PS   Hi Floydy, hope youre ok.   Going to share this vid.   Thanks :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 07:11:42 PM »

Good to see you Kitz - hope life is good with you.

anything