Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Campaign Forces Openreach to Remove Fibre Poles in Fife Village  (Read 3532 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Campaign Forces Openreach to Remove Fibre Poles in Fife Village
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2022, 03:32:29 AM »

I particurlarly smile at the title - Campaign Forces Openreach to Remove Fibre Poles in Fife Village - what a MSM headline.

Take it from myself, OR bend over backwards and accommodate complaints like it was your own children putting them in. 'Forces' - pmsl.

That's only if you take "forces" to mean that Openreach were refusing to do so.  Admittedly probably what the MSM want it to sound like.

I interpret it as "despite Openreach trying their best to reach a compromise the village idiots demanded it be gone".

Do they have lamp posts? because if you can tolerate them, I am not sure why you cant tolerate poles, if I was BT I would have removed poles but also removed FTTP along with it.  They lucky they getting a rollout (which is likely unprofitable been a village) which millions of people are not.

Well obviously it DOES mean any fibre already on those poles will have been removed.  It says they're going back to the drawing board which may mean they can't economically roll it out.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 03:37:45 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2022, 09:42:47 AM »

Does that mean that the fools have blown their opportunity for R100 then? It’ll be a black spot, the only village in Fife without FTTP. House prices drop to pennies.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2022, 02:10:25 PM »

Does that mean that the fools have blown their opportunity for R100 then? It’ll be a black spot, the only village in Fife without FTTP. House prices drop to pennies.

I wonder if there is scope for the people who wanted it to sue the people who rejected it when their house prices drop?

I kinda hope they still manage to roll out in the village just NOT to the streets where the poles were removed, causing only them to suffer and earn scorn from their neighbours.  Would be absolutely tragic if the whole village suffered due a few crazies.

As I said on the original post, its really dumb as sooner or later copper based services will both be uneconomical and ultimately impossible to maintain due to the hardware no longer being supported by the manufacturer.  I mean even FTTC must have a cut-off where having the equipment to support it at the head-end exchange is impractical?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2022, 03:42:24 PM »

Agreed, and that cut off will be soon, I think.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2022, 09:47:06 PM »

Do they have lamp posts? because if you can tolerate them, I am not sure why you cant tolerate poles, if I was BT I would have removed poles but also removed FTTP along with it.  They lucky they getting a rollout (which is likely unprofitable been a village) which millions of people are not.

It's difficult to say with absolute certainty (street map is May 2009 and thus dated), but I'm pretty sure that this is the location.    If you look at the street view there is a green cab right up against the other side of the wall at the end of her garden and near to the foot of the new pole, just out of view in the photo where she's stood holding the letter from Openreach.

https://goo.gl/maps/t7SpeG9EPLpmhBiTA

According to The Courier, this is the "overbearing and obtrusive pole" that obscured the sea view from her bedroom window 

They have street lights some of them posh, according to a community report they are lobbying Fife Council to improve lighting.  One of the highlighted complaints from residents  is "Poor steet lights".   :/

Incidentally, just around the corner, there is a rather ugly, rusty PCP in the middle of the stretch of grassland.  Look how many new and old street lamps there are...  and telegraph poles.  Theres loads of telegraph poles in the immediate area for telephony   The houses on streets both to the left and right have telegraph poles in the streetmap images from 2009.   Note the overhead telephone cables to the property in question.

https://goo.gl/maps/iy3dUQPqnHELciCy7
https://goo.gl/maps/FB98Fqv8WEYoWECK8
https://goo.gl/maps/gERPa3Ekp3SyY6pM9

This doesn't appear to be some posh estate either, it looks like a good portion in that area are council/community type houses.   Her own house is a bit of an eyesore in 2009.

In view of this new info...  I really am at a loss to understand what her problem is. :no:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2022, 08:37:26 AM »

I think Scotland work differently to England, but whenever a pole is planned south of the borders a regulation 5 notice has to go into the council requesting permission to stand said pole at the co-ordinates given, along with a photograph of the 'Notice of intent' that will be on show to the general public in the same location the pole is to be stood, informing them that they have 28 days in which to complain.
As far as I can see the process is that they put up the pole under those permitted development rights, with a notice posted on the pole explaining the process for appealing or disputing.  I think when our decayed pole was replaced it had one of those notices, even though it was a like for like replacement.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2022, 08:39:32 AM »

Do they have lamp posts?

Lots of places don't.  I'd hate lamp posts near us, although that's more to do with the light rather than the posts.
Pages: 1 [2]