Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zyxel VMG4005-B50A!  (Read 2835 times)

Dad-Of-5

Zyxel VMG4005-B50A!
« on: April 24, 2021, 07:52:55 PM »

Having waited over a year likely more for the Draytek 166 which I personally was very disappointed with (sent it back), I am happy to say the VMG4005 is better than I expected. I had spotted it a long while ago possibly around the same time as I did the 166 but there was so little info I gave up on it, especially as is was initially being pushed for bonding capabilities.

Well no experience with bonding but I can tell you Not only does it hold my FTTC VDSL 2 line well even at this early stage but it's also got downstream bandwidth limiting on WAN which I can confirm is working in Bridge Mode! ;D
Here [in Bridge Mode QoS] are also options for traffic priority which are arguably not too refined but I have been able to set Priority by Packet Size/Length. There are also 2 other options for QoS there including limiting UL bandwidth at LAN if I recall correctly. In terms of UL bandwidth I have set it on WAN at 70% = 6Mbps as my actual is about 9Mbps

Sync rate is good, buffering is smooth even on the 2 Glinets that are running Wireguard and are downstream of my main router.
DSLReports is giving me A for Bufferbloat and A+ for Quality/Overall on wifi, which I am exceptionally pleased with considering its still training/embedding. I am roughly 650m from my Huawei Cabinet.

BTW what is PHY please as these are option on UL and DL in the DSL connection options and I think I enabled them?

Also Gui is simple but very smooth and uncomplicated and has more settings than I expected. The unit can also do routing and I also saw an option for PPPoE pass-through. Its up to profile 35a on single line VDSL more than I will ever see here.

Oh and so far the unit has run so cool I am sure I could sit a beer on it for sometime and it would remain palatable till consumed, but then again I am with a pint as Bolt is with the 100meters.

I've not had a chance to muck about with it yet as the family need constant internet so not sure when I will get around to play.

Also the unit shipped with FW V5.15(ABQA.1)C0 which doesn't seem to be on the vulnerable list. Unit was purchased from Lambda Tek who I'd never used before but they were brilliant. I believe Broadband Buyer are only getting stock this coming week if not the following??

My line will be rest on Monday so will know better after that but for now I am pretty pleased and if things continue like this, my trusty HG612 will be retired with head held high as that thing has been so reliable and a beast in terms of stability.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 07:54:57 PM by Dad-Of-5 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Zyxel VMG4005-B50A!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 08:25:36 PM »

PhyR is similar to G.INP.
It's a proprietary Broadcom thing (needs a Broadcom modem and DSLAM) and is only used in a limited fashion on some ADSL in the UK.

It will not matter if you enable or disable it, it won't be used either way.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 12:02:01 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 11:26:23 PM »

Any idea what chipset is inside, I see it can be used for FTTC bonding.

johnmwingnut

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 03:56:20 PM »

. . . I am happy to say the VMG4005 is better than I expected. I had spotted it a long while ago possibly around the same time as I did the 166 but there was so little info I gave up on it, especially as is was initially being pushed for bonding capabilities.

How has this been over the past months for you? I am considering getting one. Are you able to access over the LAN and amend settings etc? Currently I have a VMG8924 running in bridge / modem only mode, but cannot access it.

[Moderator edited to reduce the verbatim quote of the initial, opening, post of this topic.]
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 06:02:28 PM by burakkucat »

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 06:10:44 AM »

@johnmwingnut

I myself have this modem, i have been very very pleased with it, Its been rock solid in fact.
To answer your questions yes you can access the management WebGUI although depending on what router and firmware combo you have might depend on how you get to it.

For example, I use OpenWRT and have a Static IP setup called Modem that uses the WAN connection in order to connect to the Modem's WebGUI, also yes before its asked it works with DSLstats without issues either just pick one of the Zyxel options.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 02:48:48 PM »

As J0hn said, Broadcom PhyR is only available if you are using ADSL2 or ADSL2+ and both your modem and the DSLAM are Broadcom-based. As you are using VDSL2, PhyR is not available to you. I use it and it’s wonderful. Unfortunately ADSL2 only allows PhyR for downstream not upstream. You may be using the equivalent, G.INP, on VDSL2, if both your own modem and your FTTC cab’s modems support it.