Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Home Network Upgrades  (Read 1322 times)

sdawson35

Home Network Upgrades
« on: April 24, 2021, 04:11:22 PM »

So having been on holiday for the past 2 weeks I got bored....Floors up , holes drilled, mess made = Cat6 laid into all vital area's of the house.

I purchased 2 x Cisco 3560C-12's and these handle all my servers/pc's and camera's with relevant vlans.

Initially I had the Cat6 runs connected to the router (back on the Zyxel for now) and then into the switches but file copy speeds were not what I expected (around 150- 200 Mbps) but when I connected everything to a switch and just vlan'd off the router speeds went up to around 600 Mbps  - so well happy with that !!.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
Re: Home Network Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 09:46:03 AM »

So having been on holiday for the past 2 weeks I got bored....Floors up , holes drilled, mess made = Cat6 laid into all vital area's of the house.
I have been meaning to do this for years  :thumbs:
I purchased 2 x Cisco 3560C-12's and these handle all my servers/pc's and camera's with relevant vlans.

Crikey! Interesting choice, aren't they super expensive, did you get them second hand?

sdawson35

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 11:09:50 AM »

Most of my upstairs flooring is not floor boards but 2.4x1.2x22mm flooring  - Getting the carpet up was easy - working out where to cut holes was err fun (probably best part of a day) so I left draw strings in place as well.

I got the 3560's 2nd hand from bay of evils cost £95-00 buy now , then abused my work privileges and updated with the latest IOS - So now I have fully managed POE L3 switches and they are passive cooled.

So now I am thinking of putting the Cisco Router back in play and buying a couple of waps ....decisions decisions

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 03:11:50 PM »

Certainly a cheaper solution than mine, albeit more drilling. Nicely done!

anything