Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A useful tool  (Read 921 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
A useful tool
« on: April 26, 2021, 12:16:42 PM »

Take a look at
    https://www.domaindiagnosis.com/landing.php
if you own a domain name; this gives you a one-page overview ad sanity check that you have got the basics set up correctly.

The following tool though is perhaps even more useful as it has better sanity checks:
     https://intodns.com/
In fact, it even found an ‘error’ in one of my domain names; ‘has no A records’ - but that’s not a bug, it just doesn’t happen to have any such nodes.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 12:24:39 PM by Weaver »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: A useful tool
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 12:32:22 PM »

Well, no fragments make it through here and I even told pfSense to remove invalid DF bits just in case that was relevant.

Then again, that test appears to be designed for testing servers so may not pass over NAT.  Although my understanding was that the router should be responsible for re-assembling the packets so they are not not fragmented after passing over NAT, so maybe that upsets how that test works?

Anyway, everything seems to be explained better here.  Although I think their claim of most people using an MTU of 1500 is flawed as most connections running over PPP most certainly are not and that can't be a small number of people.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 03:58:23 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors