Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: G.Fast still to come?  (Read 1085 times)

alba

• Just arrived
G.Fast still to come?
« on: March 26, 2021, 08:56:56 AM »

I live in an area where virtually all the PCP cabinets that I am aware of off the local exchange were updated to G.Fast quite some time ago.  Most of the PCPs were fairly new, I think dating from an earlier FTTC blitz in the area where line termination was moved closer to customer premises. The PCP serving my property was not new - there was a new FTTC cabinet from that earlier blitz, but the PCP in place at the time of the G.Fast rollout was an old cast iron one, so it could not be updated.  I think it was at least a year after the G.Fast rollout in the area had happened before the old PCP was removed and a new one was put in place close by - that happened at least a year back.  Does anyone on this forum have any insight as to whether historical loose ends like this one remaining non-G.Fast enabled PCP will ever be re-visited for G.Fast?  Or do I just have to live with the perils of being on cabinet #13?

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
Re: G.Fast still to come?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 10:10:43 AM »

From previous posts in this forum the general consensus is that G.Fast is no longer being installed anywhere, it has died a death. I assume you know it is only of benefit if you are literally within spitting distance of the cabinet, at longer distances it is unreliable and the upload can be slower than VDSL. It was an expensive mistake to allow marketing people to say BT and others could provide 300Mbps broadband. Openreach are now concentrating on FTTP so until that or some alternative fibre provider becomes available you are stuck with your existing service. :(

alba

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 10:22:02 AM »

Indeed - I am pretty much spitting distance (well, within about 150m wire run of the PCP) and get as good a VDSL connection as is possible. The reason that I ask about G.Fast is that I'm not aware of any plans for FTTP around here (after all, we've got G.Fast in the area!) and, additionally, I have heard mutterings about the difficulty of getting FTTP into the type of old stone tenement that I live in.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 02:29:34 PM »

my personal feeling is the rollout is done, I checked a map of my city (as it was touted as g.fast by openreach) and I can see it has spots of coverage round the city.  I will be surprised if they bother doing any more of it as g.fast will be poor competition to both cityfibre FTTP and cable (at least on marketing paper, in practice probably much better than cable).

anything