Re: FTTP
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2021, 12:08:48 PM »

Right, think I understand now. I'll keep an eye out for that

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2021, 01:18:41 PM »

It may be worth using the address checker rather than your phone number, use the full address checker but just enter the post code , you can then  easily check neighbours to see what they show. Very occasionally you can get database errors, but it more likely just not ready yet.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2021, 02:47:37 PM »

What Ronski says ^^^

You're better off using the address checker when doing availability checks.

FTTP availability is done at the address level and occasionally there's a mis-match between phone number results and address results.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Pipster

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2021, 03:22:46 PM »

Yeah I've done the neighbors addresses on various houses near us. We have a school very near us and it has the same post code. Its even connected to the same cabinet as us, which is cabinet 3 but they must be on some sort of priority as they get the G-Fast with 330 Down and 50 Up

Pipster

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2021, 03:48:04 PM »

Actually just been doing some digging and last week, when I checked the addresses for everything on my Postcode, everything was connected to cabinet 3. The school, nursery, caretakers house. Now they are all connected to Cabinet 52, except the Caretakers house, which is still on Cabinet 3 as is all of the residential addresses. The school and nursery are now on a new cabinet that wasn't active last week.

So a bit worried now we won't end up with FTTP and be stuck on what we have

Pipster

« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2021, 04:02:03 PM »

Checking my In Laws property further down in Cramlington they are of course on the same exchange but served by Cabinet 11. Their speeds are currently much better than ours. I would be happy with these speeds but on their FTTP On demand theirs is still on the 330 down.

This is where I get confused and get lost as don't fully understand it all

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2021, 07:25:32 PM »

It's fine. Nothing out of the ordinary to be seen yet. Don't worry or panic just wait as already mentioned and please stop looking for issues.

The copper cabinets are nothing to do with FTTP.

Pipster

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2021, 11:31:55 AM »

No real update on FTTP being available yet but the school next to us is now on FTTP.

A couple of things have happened. Firstly, after checking the planned work for roadworks in my area between the 21st and 25th May, Openreach are doing work on the street where cabinet 3 is. That is the cabinet that we're connected too. I know FTTP comes straight from the exchange but surely at some point we need disconnecting from the cabinet to the PON? Not sure if that bit is the right term but we must have to be disconnected from the cabinet and placed onto something to be able to provide FTTP?.

Secondly, my internet speed as always been around 20mb/s sometimes if we are very very lucky we can get 25mb/s. However noticed today the router is saying we are now getting a download speed of 35mb/s and if I do a speed test its coming in as a constant 30-31mb/s. We have never had speeds like this and the package we have is up to 38mb/s as nothing else has been available. If I do a check that is all that is still available but there definitely has been an increase in speed over the last few days.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2021, 11:45:28 AM »

Your normal copper phone line connects to the cabinet, this has no bearing on FTTP at all which comes on a brand new fibre line ran to your house when you order FTTP.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Pipster

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2021, 11:50:53 AM »

Your normal copper phone line connects to the cabinet, this has no bearing on FTTP at all which comes on a brand new fibre line ran to your house when you order FTTP.

I get that but surely when I place an order they don't lay a fresh cable directly from my house all the way to the exchange? Surely the cable from the street to my house needs laying and connected and then the fibre cable must have a junction somewhere, where everyones FTTP connection meets and then goes direct to the exchange. Would this not be the case?

Pipster

« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2021, 11:53:49 AM »

Also if the cabinet to the exchange is already fibre optic wouldn’t that be a good  place to connect and extend the fibre cables to everyone’s streets?

Wera

« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2021, 12:13:44 PM »

Also if the cabinet to the exchange is already fibre optic wouldn’t that be a good  place to connect and extend the fibre cables to everyone’s streets?
It would be nice if it were that simple. In my setup I think thats how it works in as much as they use the existing infrastructure to run the cables, but every location is different and from speaking to one of the team they dont connect at the existing cabinet. They had to add new poles in a couple of places for example here. When you start seeing them hanging connector blocks on poles or putting them into chambers then it will be close to completion.

Pipster

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2021, 12:19:55 PM »

I’ve seen them in the street pulling rope through the ducts. Black sheep had checked and it was commissioned nearly 2 months ago.

I just thought that with the works in that area and it’s where the cabinet is, that even disconnecting from the cabinet might of been happening. I might have to have a wander up when they are working in a couple of weeks

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2021, 12:26:05 PM »

No, there's only a few fibres needed at the FTTC cabinet, and that's including a couple spares.

When the FTTC rollout was starting they placed Aggregation Nodes in the ground.
These nodes are designed for... Aggregating fibre.
A single aggregation Node feeds 3 or 4 cabinets on average.

The fibre for FTTP doesn't come direct from the exchange. It's already as far as the aggregation Node, which may or may not be near your cabinet.

You can't just connect and extend in to a fibre either.
Each PON needs its own dedicated fibre.

The fibre is brought from the Aggregation Node to your local telegraph pole or underground chamber.
At this point you can order FTTP.
Then they only need to run fibre from outside your house (from pole or chamber) to inside
 your house.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 12:30:40 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Pipster

« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2021, 12:32:28 PM »

So they could be doing this work in a couple of weeks. It’s just the street up from us.

Thanks for the explanation as makes sense
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]