News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: FTTP  (Read 8818 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: FTTP
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2021, 01:10:36 PM »

So the splitters then, do they have several different frequencies coming into them with the prism then splitting them down different PONs?
That's basically how I originally thought it would work, no point having multiple fibres when you can push WAY more down a single one.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2021, 01:49:04 PM »

Each splitter has a separate fibre feeding it.

There are 4 SASA, 4 splitters, 4 prisms, 4 lots of 32 fibres out with 30 of them being ready for connection to premises and 2 held back presumably unspliced at the SASAs and usable as needed.

I do have questions on that one and this architecture as a whole if I'm honest however I'm not an expert and have to defer to those that are.

That's basically how I originally thought it would work, no point having multiple fibres when you can push WAY more down a single one.

There is when it's cheaper to use an additional fibre rather than use wavelength division multiplexing. These are multiple core count fibre cables. The vast majority of the cost is getting the cable in the ground / on the pole. It having some extra cores rather than using powered WDM kit is a no brainer.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2021, 03:04:56 PM »

Oh, so one splitter outputs 32 fibres?  Seems its way way simpler than I imagined.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2021, 06:52:01 PM »

Spares - Openreach messed up the build for this new build estate. 96 properties. They put it across 3 PONs. PONs as it what a PON actually is, the Passive Optical Network connecting to a single port at the OLT in the headend exchange, not Openreach speak  ;)
so how did you get your extra 2 connections - are 2 of your neighbours unable to get FTTP because you've pinched their ports, or did some extra SASA go in?  Or were they somehow able to use another splitter to turn your 1 into 3?  Or at the time you got your service, was there a multiport unit capable of multi gigabit?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2021, 07:07:06 PM »

I say this with regard to Bogof’s point, with much love, one could say that about anything: If I go into the shop, I decide not to buy any spuds because my neighbour might then not be able to then buy any. And then my neighbour comes in and does the same thing. Protocol deadlock, or whatever the term is that I should be using. This is of course the way of utter madness. It’s not cynical saying it’s OR’s (or the supermarket’s) problem not mine. But then Bogof of course knows this.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2021, 08:28:15 PM »

so how did you get your extra 2 connections - are 2 of your neighbours unable to get FTTP because you've pinched their ports, . . .

No "extra ports" were consumed. The one particular fibre strand leaves the OLT and winds its merry way via an aggregation node, track nodes, etc, to the splitter. From the splitter, the 30 fibres go to 30 different properties. At Carl's property a 4+2 ONT is connected to the fibre. (The "4" refers to the number of Gbit Ethernet ports; the "2" refers to the number of telephony ports.) The three services are delivered, one per Gbit Ethernet port leaving the fourth port unused.

Remember that one fibre strand has a massive bandwidth. So three (or even four) Gbit services hardly use any of the potentially available bandwidth of that fibre.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2021, 08:42:00 PM »

No "extra ports" were consumed. The one particular fibre strand leaves the OLT and winds its merry way via an aggregation node, track nodes, etc, to the splitter. From the splitter, the 30 fibres go to 30 different properties. At Carl's property a 4+2 ONT is connected to the fibre. (The "4" refers to the number of Gbit Ethernet ports; the "2" refers to the number of telephony ports.) The three services are delivered, one per Gbit Ethernet port leaving the fourth port unused.

Remember that one fibre strand has a massive bandwidth. So three (or even four) Gbit services hardly use any of the potentially available bandwidth of that fibre.
...ok.  So at the moment you cannot get a 4 port ONT on residential FTTP, but when you could, the one that was available could do several gigabit services up to the fibre max?  I was reading what Carl wrote as that the several port units still had an internal limit of gigabit service in total (which would make sense if, for instance, they were providing the 4 ports using a gigabit switch IC internally, and there was only a single gigabit RGMII interface between the switch chip and whatever processor the ONT runs).

So back to my question.  Today, would I be allowed to order 2 extra services to my house where there are only 8 ports to serve 7 properties - ie stealing "someone else's" CBT port?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2021, 10:19:52 PM »

Today, would I be allowed to order 2 extra services to my house where there are only 8 ports to serve 7 properties - ie stealing "someone else's" CBT port?

That I cannot answer. (Try it and see might be one approach!)

If, however, you could make an appropriate business case for having three separate 1 Gbps services then, perhaps, the 1+0 ONT would be swapped out for an appropriately sized unit.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2021, 09:15:20 AM »

...ok.  So at the moment you cannot get a 4 port ONT on residential FTTP, but when you could, the one that was available could do several gigabit services up to the fibre max?  I was reading what Carl wrote as that the several port units still had an internal limit of gigabit service in total (which would make sense if, for instance, they were providing the 4 ports using a gigabit switch IC internally, and there was only a single gigabit RGMII interface between the switch chip and whatever processor the ONT runs).

No. To date Openreach have not provided an ONT with more than a gigabit between GPON interface and switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2021, 10:41:38 AM »

So I am on a 'Business' connection and I'm hoping to get a 4 port ONT anyone know if that's possible ?.  :hmm:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2021, 11:48:46 AM »

How does CBT port allocation and ONT selection work?
I live in a terrace of 8 houses, they've put in an 8 port CBT in a chamber that they could all reach without much drama.  I'm the only one on the CBT at the moment.
Are any of the ports locked and allocated to other properties even though they've not taken a service?  Or is it truly first-come-first-served?

Ports aren't allocated.
It really is 1st come, 1st served.

The Wholesale checker shows for you no spare ports are available. That's the ports on the ONT (I assume you have a 1 port ONT).
This means they would likely pull another fibre from the CBT and give you a 2nd ONT.

It partly depends on what vendor PON you are on.
If it's a Nokia PON (i.e you have a Nokia ONT) then when you order a 2nd service OpenReach will swap your 1 port ONT for a new 4 port Nokia ONT.
I'm not 100% if this is up and running, the 4 port Nokia ONT's are fairly new.

With Huawei I don't think the 4 port ONT's are manufactured any more.
What limited stock is available is supposed to be spares/replacements for faulty units.

Carl has a 4 port ONT so isn't taking any extra CBT ports.
Everyone on his CBT can still order a service, providing the splitter isn't full.

So I am on a 'Business' connection and I'm hoping to get a 4 port ONT anyone know if that's possible ?.  :hmm:

Unlikely straight away. If you order a 2nd service you might be able to get 1.
Stock of Huawei 4 ports is apparently low.

There's really no need for a 4 port ONT with a single service at a property and it takes seconds to swap a 1 port for a 4 port.

As above there's a new process starting with Nokia ONT's where this swap will be automatic when a 2nd service is ordered, but my understanding is the limited supply of the Huawei 4 ports means this won't be the case with Huawei ONT's.

The fact the connection is business or residential means nothing.
Both ONT's work the same.
A 4 port is only necessary for multiple services so it makes sense to only provide them when multiple services are ordered.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 11:51:51 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2021, 02:01:43 PM »

No. To date Openreach have not provided an ONT with more than a gigabit between GPON interface and switch.
In that case, how are you able to saturate - are you using more than one ONT?  Someone suggested you had a 4 port, which it sounds like wouldn't be able to saturate your 2x900 connections if it is limited to only putting a total of 1G onto the GPON across all 4 ports.
Ports aren't allocated.
It really is 1st come, 1st served.

The Wholesale checker shows for you no spare ports are available. That's the ports on the ONT (I assume you have a 1 port ONT).
This means they would likely pull another fibre from the CBT and give you a 2nd ONT.

It partly depends on what vendor PON you are on.
If it's a Nokia PON (i.e you have a Nokia ONT) then when you order a 2nd service OpenReach will swap your 1 port ONT for a new 4 port Nokia ONT.
I'm not 100% if this is up and running, the 4 port Nokia ONT's are fairly new.
Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I'm on a single port Nokia.  So do you think the new 4 port Nokia can have more than 1G going between the GPON and the 4 ports - ie could it saturate the 2.5G assuming no other traffic on the GPON / low congestion elsewhere?  I guess if I wanted to have a second actual fibre into the house then I'd need to order before the 4 port ONTs come in.

How do you ensure when ordering FTTP that you get a new service, and not a migration of your existing one to a new provider?  The websites for various ISPs don't fill with very much confidence...

If you had more than one connection, and wanted to migrate one, how could you be sure which one was being migrated? 

All sounds very complicated!
Carl has a 4 port ONT so isn't taking any extra CBT ports.
Everyone on his CBT can still order a service, providing the splitter isn't full.
That's the bit I couldn't understand, he seems to be able to get >1G to GPON, but his post implies the 4 port ONT can't do >1G to GPON. 

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2021, 03:27:31 PM »

Unless Openreach have configuration or the hardware customised to throttle it the 4 port Nokia kit will be okay for full rate.

I've at no point talked about the ONT I am using.  :angel:

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2021, 03:35:45 PM »

Probably not. Not available in Nokia areas at all and only in Huawei areas where a second ONT can't be provisioned as they are officially discontinued.

Won't be offered as the first ONT to a home either way.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2021, 05:12:35 PM »

I've at no point talked about the ONT I am using.  :angel:
Aha :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

anything