Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: FTTP  (Read 8782 times)

Pipster

FTTP
« on: April 21, 2021, 11:47:57 AM »

Hi I was hoping someone might know if my area is due to get upgraded to FTTP. There was a guy out in a van about 4-6 weeks ago feeding what looked like thick string into the man hole covers and after looking in here it seems to be a good sign it’s ready or nearly ready to go live.

I’ve also checked the exchange and it has FTTP in some places enabled. I’ve worked out we’re on cabinet 3. I live in Cramlington NE23 area, which is Northumberland.

Also checking on one.network for the next 12 months there is no planned works on my street or estate but I know there has been previously. Also only planned works are further up in Cramlington.

Desperate for faster BB. Current speeds are around 20mb/s but when everyone is on the TV will lag. Kid whinge the PlayStation is lagging and ping is terrible.

Any help at all would be most appreciated

Pipster

Re: FTTP
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 03:12:00 PM »

I had sent a picture of the van and guy who was messing with the manholes to work as we had been having problems with the internet and as I was working from home I couldn't do any work and just to prove I wasn't skyving I took a picture to send to work. This was taken on the 21st March. Does anyone think this could be related to FTTP happening in our street?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 04:00:17 PM »

Cramlington isn't part of the Fibre Cities/Fibre Rural programmes as yet, that I can see.

However, there are over a dozen PON's being built under the LFFN project. A single PON would feed 'up to' 120 premises under the normal planning circumstances.

If you are indeed fed via PCP3, there are 5 fibre PON's that are being built that your premises could be captured under ??

Pipster

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 04:21:21 PM »

Cramlington isn't part of the Fibre Cities/Fibre Rural programmes as yet, that I can see.

However, there are over a dozen PON's being built under the LFFN project. A single PON would feed 'up to' 120 premises under the normal planning circumstances.

If you are indeed fed via PCP3, there are 5 fibre PON's that are being built that your premises could be captured under ??

I know when I was speaking to the Openreach Engineer a few months ago he said they were doing Cramlington and upgrading everything to FTTP. Is there a list or anything of where the fibre PON's are? I'm desperate to be upgraded

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 06:31:11 PM »

I only have sight of the 'here & now' regarding FTTP programmes, I'm afraid .... not future proposed, or future implemented ones.

I suspect there won't be any public sites where you would be able to see each individual PON's ??. My guess is once the PON becomes CRFS (Customer Ready For Service), you could roughly work out the geography of PON's by using the FTTP availability checker, using various different post-codes.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 07:12:21 PM »

I thought a PON could only handle 32 customers, so how does that work?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 07:25:04 PM »

I thought a PON could only handle 32 customers, so how does that work?

A splitter-node (affectionately called a PON) is planned to have a maximum of 4 SASA's. Each SASA is capable of feeding 32 connections = 128 maximum.

But, we plan to 120THP (connections) .... this can be upped with high-level authority but certainly isn't the norm.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 07:58:47 PM »

PM'd you, Pipster - good news I'm hoping.  ;)

Pipster

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 08:00:37 PM »

Honestly fantastic news. Not taking orders yet but I’ll be forced on there daily from the kids. Can’t thank you enough

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 08:01:07 PM »

He he he - no worries.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 10:38:08 PM »

A splitter-node (affectionately called a PON) is planned to have a maximum of 4 SASA's. Each SASA is capable of feeding 32 connections = 128 maximum.

But, we plan to 120THP (connections) .... this can be upped with high-level authority but certainly isn't the norm.

Thanks, I thought there must be some magic as a whole fibre for only 32 premises seemed insane.  Does a SASA effectively cover more than 32 premises on the assumption not everyone will get the service, or is it literally only routed to 32 despite the fact you might only have one or two subscribers?

I'm thinking basically on how many households there are from the node to my house as I know the exact ducting route.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 12:22:53 AM »

It's a whole fibre for 30 premises passed. Each SASA has its own fibre.

SASA = Splitter And Splitter Assembly. 4 of these modules can fit in the splitter nodes OR use.

I refer to a group of premises sharing the same OLT port as a PON. Potato, potaatoe.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 03:09:05 AM »

Ah I see, I didn't realise the 32 was from the splitter and that several PONs come from one fibre back to the OLT.  So effectively the network has potentially a 128:1 contention ratio?  Though presumably its unlikely for every premises passed to be live and many will take slower profiled services.

That does make a lot more sense from a cost perspective.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 03:11:33 AM by Alex Atkin UK »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 05:19:16 AM »

People need to know what they’re really buying and should not be sold 900 Mbps headline rates if contention could bring it way down to who knows what. It is what it is though and it’s a way of giving a cost effective service for the most part to many people, and if you want a better guarantee then I suppose you can always get a dedicated line? For silly money?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 07:16:35 AM »

Ah I see, I didn't realise the 32 was from the splitter and that several PONs come from one fibre back to the OLT. 

Yeah - one fibre from the Exchange OCR/ODF rack all the way through to the splitter, (as mentioned, we usually have a max of 4 splitters per PON, but can up this in certain circumstances).

The actual splitter itself is a tiny oblong glass prism, which splits the incoming light down the one fibre cable, into 32 separate light sources.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything