Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Start Up  (Read 4857 times)

Shaft

Start Up
« on: July 31, 2008, 06:46:12 PM »

OS Win XP Pro, SP3, 1.5Gb mem, Mouse and Kybd PS/2. 
Don't know what is going on, Yesterday PC started shutting down and then rebooting not even getting to the Windows Logo screen. Then the BSOD  and the words Fatal System Error. Since then can only get to POST screen, test says memory OK with size, says about plugs ins etc.
Then says press Del to enter BIOS of Alt+F2 for bios flash.
Thing is the kybd flashes on and off as normal then goes dead and you can't get it to work ie pressing del doe'snt do anything, i assume that it is not recognising the kybd. Having made rescue disks for this PC i thought ok i will try them, no good, doe'snt seem to be reading the floppy. Have tried other hard disk with an OS on but that didn't work.    Tried removing battery for 10 mins as advised by other forum, now getting ASUS Logo screen with press Tab to show Post screen or Alt+F2 to enter EZ Flash Utility, can't get any response from kybd, also tried OS Disc in CD Drive but that didn't work either.   Just lucky it's my second pc so i have this one which has been upgraded (by me).    ???HELP
Shaft
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 06:51:22 PM by Shaft »

dave.m

• Kitizen
Re: Start Up
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 07:02:58 PM »

First thing to try is the keyboard from the other computer if it has the same plug.
Try to start in normal mode first and see how that goes.
It's not much use trying recovery disks because you need a form of contact with the computer ie. keyboard.
Am going out but get back with any results and either someone will be along or I'll be back much later.
dave 

Shaft

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 07:08:22 PM »

Tried the other keybpard with the same result.

Shaft

Shaft

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 08:31:55 PM »

Latest in saga: now have working PC, only thing i have done since is cleared cmos by switching jumper over and back.   Then managed to get into BIOS, changed boot sequence to CD ROM drive first etc, reset date and time etc. enabled floppy seek as it was disabled.   Switched off and then booted up with OS Disc in drive, for some reason the pc came back to life and booted up without reading OS Disc.    Downside, now not seeing CD ROM or CD Rewriter.  Jus got to find a way to get it to see the two drives.    Anybody got any thoughts on this?  ???
Shaft

Shaft

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 09:02:53 PM »

It's all working now, i hadn't pushed  the IDE Plug in fully into the first Drive thereby making both dissappear.    Duh!!!!

But thanks anyway for the input.

Shaft

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 12:53:41 AM »

Just glad you got it all sorted.

Thanks for telling us what it was - that info could well prove useful for someone else some day  :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Shaft

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 10:15:49 AM »

Still not sure what caused the original screw up, only thing happening at the time was a windows update, not an automatic as i like to see what's happening.
I see it is still in the task bar for when i go on line next.

:-X

Shaft

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 10:17:24 AM »

I'm wondering if maybe your CMOS battery needs replacing?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 01:52:48 PM »

Built in card readers can also cause this problem.

If it isn't connected to the motherboard correctly, the PC will fail to boot as the connection isn't fully pushed in ;)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 01:54:22 PM »

I'm wondering if maybe your CMOS battery needs replacing?

Its possible, how old is the PC?
Kind Regards
Jamie

Shaft

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 08:47:38 AM »

Thanks for the additional thoughts on this, everything appears to be working fine now.   CMOS about 3.5 years old and no card reader on PC.
The day prior to this i had taken the PSU out to try and check another PC which was playing up and can only suppose that i didn't plug a connector back in completely or something.
Once again many thanks.

Shaft

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 02:04:41 PM »

Thanks for the additional thoughts on this, everything appears to be working fine now.   CMOS about 3.5 years old and no card reader on PC.
The day prior to this i had taken the PSU out to try and check another PC which was playing up and can only suppose that i didn't plug a connector back in completely or something.
Once again many thanks.

Shaft

Hmm, well battery should be fine as they last around 4-5years.

Good to hear that everything is back to normal :)

Kind Regards
Jamie

anything