Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: fibre speeds  (Read 545 times)

mastersgt21

• Just arrived
fibre speeds
« on: April 19, 2021, 04:22:25 PM »

Hi Everyone.

Just looking for some advice, since January this year i have been having issues with the fibre speeds i get, my estimates according to zen and the broadband dsl checker are as below.

VDSL Range A (Clean) high 80 low 63  handback 56,4

VDSL Range B (Impacted) high 80  low 60  handback 52.9 exchange shaw cab 30 line length 432 metres

Technicolor TG589 V2 as a modem on firmware 17.1 i think or could be 17.2 then connects to a Netgear nighthawk XR500  fibre profile is 80/20 not capped and has never had interleaving applied.

Radio Frequency Ingress not detected no REIN no crosstalk SI line tests pass yukon data from open reach is clear with no errors so in terms it would appear i have a good clean line, now back in january the speeds were around 48 meg down 17.5 up SnR 6db down 6db up no interleaving or error protection which ive always thought were a bit low and when mentioned to the provider nothing was really done, until the 10th january when Sync started to drop for about two days which added interleaving but didnt add a cap to the profile strangely but did lower the speed and interleaving was set to low by DLM.

I rang my ISP tested 2 lots of equipment from the test socket to be 100% safe and an engineer was assigned, a few days later the engineer arrived and tested with the JDSU and said my line is one of the best and cleanest hes seen in a while and couldnt understand what was causing the issues, hhe then confirmed the line is achievable of 65 meg and i should be seeing about 60 meg, after explaining ive never seen these speeds the engineer was even more confused and proceeded to double check the line and do some underground work and also did 7 lift and shifts.

After about 4 hours the engineer came back and stated there was was nothing more he could do to get the speeds higher and confirmed the ports are sending the correct speeds out but as soon as it hits my line the speeds lower so in the end he rang DCOE and had the SnR changed from 6db down to 3db, which made the speeds increase to 58 meg happy days, now i asked the engineer if we were onn dangerous grounds here with the SnR being low and could start to lose sync or have drop out which in turn will cause DLM to kick in and adjust the profile, engineer stated not top worry as the line is clean i wont have any issues packed his stuff and off he went.

Febuary came and the connection started to drop out DLM kicked in speeds went back to 47 meg SnR went back up to 6db and interleaving was added to low so i changed all equipment again and left for 2 weeks to see if DLM would kick in but it didnt now i do understand depending on the errors and how many DLM can kick in at any point and even after 2 weeks of being clean.

So i rang my ISP again same checks no issues no fault scratching ones head again a second engineer was sent out and tested the test socket confirmed what speeds i should get checked the line from the property right the way back to the DSLAM and said all was good lift and shifts were done again but couldnt get the speeds up and when i mentioned about the SnR this engineer stated 6db is default and shouldn't be messed with which i thought fair enough your the engineer but he did agree on a 3db profile i do get the speeds so after 4 hours again off messing around he then stated that it could possible be the DSLAM at fault ether not putting enough power out or could be a faulty line card so would need escalating to a senior engineer to look at the DSLAM.

So i asked the engineer to do his notes the best he can so when the isp fault management get these it cn be escalated anyway 5 engineers later will all the diags as the DSLAM being at fault iam still no closer to having this fixed, then the other day a 6th open reach engineer came out and did every test possible from the property to the DSLAM and even climbed the pole outside and changed the copper pair in hope of fixing this but even he got nowhere and decided to change the profile to 3db on the download which sent the speeds to 59 meg yippee i was happy but cautious because of the low SnR, next morning around 6am i noticed there had been a sync drop so i logged ino the modem and confirmed it had dropped lowing the speed to 56 meg no biggy at all as its still better than what i had but does have interleaving as low again now.

So i spoke to the fault management at the ISP in regards to this and they now want to try again for an escalation due to the sync drop and speed drop i guess what iam asking is has anyone experienced  this before and did it go anywere or am i wasting my time in hope they actually do sort it out my biggest worry is now if i let engineer number 7 come round on friday  1 they may not be a senior engineer and 2 they may do somthing to the conenction which may put the speeds right back down again.
ISP:Zen Connection FTTC 80/20 Cab: huawei  Modem Netgear D7800 Router Netgear XR500

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: fibre speeds
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 06:46:25 PM »

Welcome to Kitz mastersgt21.

Have you got an alternate modem you could try, previous posts on this forum state the tg589 V2 chipset is not up to scratch: https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=19523.0

mastersgt21

• Just arrived
Re: fibre speeds
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 07:17:01 PM »

Hi thanks for the reply sorry i thought i had mentioned the alternate modems yea ive tested two Technicolours TG589 v2s  one netgear D7800 in modem mode and a fritzbox 7530 with the latest firmware. The netgear D7800 doesnt make any change and the fritz box seems to lower the speeds i believe the cab i am on is a huawei cab also.
ISP:Zen Connection FTTC 80/20 Cab: huawei  Modem Netgear D7800 Router Netgear XR500

anything