Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTP Upload Speed Query  (Read 836 times)

JordanBlack68

FTTP Upload Speed Query
« on: April 17, 2021, 02:02:28 PM »

Hello,

Recently got fibre 900 from BT install and getting 900mbps download and about 95-96 upload, which is fantastic btw, but I can’t seem to get 105+ mbps on the upload side. Tried a different router and even direct connect to the ONT box on the wall, same results.

Not complaining about the 95mbps but was curious how I can’t seem to get 105-110 mbps upload while I see others on the package get it.

Would there be a reason why.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: FTTP Upload Speed Query
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 04:36:45 PM »

You will be performing throughput speed-tests. The results of the tests is very dependent upon the ability of the system used to perform those tests.

It is interesting that you mention connecting directly to the ONT. That step will be required to establish whether the routing device used is "up to the job". However if the computer used for the test does not have sufficient performance capabilities (and a reliable gigabit Ethernet interface) then the results obtained will reflect the inadequacy of the system used and not of the FTTP connection.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 05:25:51 PM »

Hello,

Recently got fibre 900 from BT install and getting 900mbps download and about 95-96 upload, which is fantastic btw, but I can’t seem to get 105+ mbps on the upload side. Tried a different router and even direct connect to the ONT box on the wall, same results.

Not complaining about the 95mbps but was curious how I can’t seem to get 105-110 mbps upload while I see others on the package get it.

Would there be a reason why.
Are the results always on the same computer(s)?  What OS?  If a PC running Windows, you could consider booting from a Linux USB stick (Ubuntu works well on my Lenovo, free download) and seeing if that helps.  It should work out of the box with most wired network interfaces on most modern PCs.  This helped me isolate my below par single threaded performance on my 900mbit connection to my Windows OS machines which were all running a piece of software that had meddled with the low level Windows network tuning :(

If you have an AppleTV4k on a wired connection you could also try that.  The Ookla speed test app on that for me - with Zen - manages to hit 910+/110.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 10:16:21 PM »

Used a MacBook Pro 2016 gigabit adapter and tested various devices like iPad Pro 2020 etc. All show 95-98mbps upload.

Hmm . . . So you have performed the tests with appropriate equipment. It may now be time to refer the results back to your service provider.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything