Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zen - automatic "FTTC Network Migration" resulting in improved speeds?  (Read 895 times)

craigv

Hi guys,

I've just been curious of this for a while, so thought knowledgeable folks here may know!

I've had a Zen Internet FTTC line for over 5 years now, and the line speed typically used to fluctuate between 20-22mbps.

Towards the later part of 2020, the speeds were getting far more variable, dropping as low as 14mbs, and judging by the increased pings to gateway, higher interleaving/error correction. Given that the speeds for a VDSL Range B (Impacted) for my line are indicated as 42-25mbps, I was getting a little miffed!

Around the point I was feeling a little grumpy about it, Zen made a change of some kind, because an order showed in the online portal for the line, which showed up in my account as "FTTC Network Migration", and ever since then my line appears to behave better, both faster (~26mbps) and it seems to be more responsive when error correction is applied, i.e. it'll be applied for a day, and then removed again. It also appears now that none of the BTW line stats Zen used to track are no longer updated.

Has anyone else had this? I probably meant to contact Zen at the time, but getting rid of the FTTC shortly, yet my curiosity remains!

Thanks!

C
RedHotAnt Unlimited 56k -> NTL 750kbit cable -> Virgin Size 4mbit cable -> Sky 5mbit ADSL -> Zen Internet 25mbit VDSL ->  Zen Internet 900mbit FTTP

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

I would assume your line has been removed from BTW Backhaul to a more responsive carrier, possibly TTB

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member

I always thought a network migration related to moving lines to a new or nearer cabinet so improving the FTTC speeds but in this case the speeds have not changed much and are to be honest a bit rubbish. So maybe it was related to backhaul, who knows. ???

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

I suspect that it was a migration from the BTW network to an alternative network, as meritez postulated, above.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

niemand

• Kitizen

100% about backhaul and likely to Zen's own network. Have a look at technical details in your customer portal and see if you're 'On Plexus Network'.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

100% about backhaul and likely to Zen's own network. Have a look at technical details in your customer portal and see if you're 'On Plexus Network'.

They removed that information from the portal some months back for some odd reason.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors