Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: pi-hole?  (Read 15230 times)

Jon21

• Reg Member
Re: pi-hole?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2019, 12:32:52 AM »

If I use the “top” command, there doesn’t appear to be any obvious process that’s using up memory. Java is the highest but that’s for UniFi, but only installed that yesterday. The increasing memory usage was happening before that. I use Raspbian for the OS, don’t think that would have a memory leak but could be possible. If memory was released when needed, which it may do, it wouldn’t be so bad. The Pi just seems to become very sluggish eventually. Nothing that a reboot doesn’t sort though.

22over7

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2019, 11:23:46 PM »

I've been using pihole for a bit now. 

I'd say it's main value is educational. Just tail the log of DNS traffic.
yes, it blocks lots of stuff you don't want to see.

But in real life (meaning, not using it as a DHCP server, but sometimes for DNS, and in combination
with other things like javascript consent), it's quite hard to understand.
What translations are being cached where? Locally, router, pi, somewhere else?

I seem to hit "sweet spots", where everything is behaving like I want.
Then something happens, and some important website is giving me interminable GDPR screens.
Could be anything. Maybe something to do with quantserve, who knows... .
Or something else .. life is short. There might be better fish to fry.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2019, 02:34:12 AM »

If something is leaking memory, what about a script that kills certain offending processes selectively at certain times?

Does anyone know anything about containerisation in *nix? Could that be relevant here as a way of helping to keep this errant stuff under control? (Don’t know what on earth I’m talking about until I read up on this.)

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2021, 05:41:57 PM »

Old post I know and somewhat late to the party...

Been having a play with Pi-Hole, initially installed on my very old, redundant RPi 1B where it worked surprisingly well and the Pi is really too old for most current applications.
Operating system, Raspberry Pi OS Lite using Win 10 SSH interface.
Also installed "log2ram" to relieve SD card over usage.
https://github.com/azlux/log2ram

Tried to install "unbound", makes the DNS server recursive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnFtWsZ8IP0&t=77s
This seemed to be too much for the old RPi 1B and would not load/run properly.

Repeated the complete exercise on a RPi Zero W using a micro USB to ethernet adaptor for LAN connection, all 3 programs installed and appear to be working to expectation, RPi is powered from router USB port.
Chose not to apply Pi-Hole DNS routing on my router, only on my main desktop and reserve PC's.

Quite impressed with the program interface and displayed stat's..
As per comments earlier in this thread, add filtering its not perfect by any means, it does miss some of the add's that "AdBlocker" catches and will probably require quite a lot of manual filtering to refine.

Strangely, one long standing anomaly on my main Ryzen-5 desktop PC that it has cured:
On booting, network almost always displayed "no internet connection" (all modem & router LED's normal) for up to 100 sec's, sometimes would remain that way and a "network repair" had to be carried out, this anomaly has persisted with a full Win 10 clean re-load (upgraded from Home to Pro), could never find a solution.
Has never occured since routing PC network DNS through Pi-Hole!!
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2021, 10:43:11 PM »

Interesting.  :)

My only grumble is why do such video creators need to gabble?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2021, 11:28:07 PM »

Also did I miss something or did he never actually start Unbound after setting the configuration?  That could really confuse people.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2021, 11:51:36 PM »

Also did I miss something or did he never actually start Unbound after setting the configuration?  That could really confuse people.

"Unbound" would not install without errors on my RPi-1B, that's after I had already installed Pi-Hole and "log2ram".
Repeating the same sequence on my RPi-ZW, ie, installing the 3 programs in same sequence was successful and "unbound" operation was confirmed from Pi-Hole query log.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2021, 12:26:40 AM »

"Unbound" would not install without errors on my RPi-1B, that's after I had already installed Pi-Hole and "log2ram".
Repeating the same sequence on my RPi-ZW, ie, installing the 3 programs in same sequence was successful and "unbound" operation was confirmed from Pi-Hole query log.

Just going on what I saw in the video, Unbound WILL fail before the config change due to the conflicting port with the Pihole DNS resolver.  Once he made that config change he just babbled on about WHY it was needed but gave no indication of actually reloading Unbound so it would use the new config and start correctly.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2021, 09:14:36 AM »

Interesting.  :)

My only grumble is why do such video creators need to gabble?  :-\

Because that particular Youtuber's videos are just adverts for beer, and a video could take a few takes, so 6 or so beers later you are going to gabble?  ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything