Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Few questions about a new line with IDNET - FTTC  (Read 5396 times)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: Few questions about a new line with IDNET - FTTC
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2021, 11:49:14 AM »

The SNRM and attainable vv actual signal a banded line perhaps
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

cacoe

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2021, 07:22:36 PM »

Done the quiet line test, there is an extremely quiet "fuzz" in the background. Whether this constitues as noise, or whether its as a result of the crap £20 handset I bought, couldn't tell you, but it is all wired and only powered by the line. (connected to test socket)

As well as that when the menu options were going and this is only once, I heard a loud squeal, sort of like when a capacitor is ready to blow which is sort of strange.

SoGEA line is dead, as expected, figured it didn't hurt to try though  :D

Anyway spoke to Sky and explained everything and to my shock (I really thought they'd be telling me to get on to IDNet to get this sorted!) they agreed to send out an OR engineer and explicitly said there would be no charge.

I was actually going to leave Sky mainly for their craptastic support but it's starting to feel like a grass is greener situation now.

Edit - Just to see, tried it with the filter on, it made a ton of different sounds, whether that's expected with the filter actually on, I'm not sure.

Also not sure if it would effect the second line too? Maybe it is as simple as bad filter and that's triggered some hardcore DLM?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 07:41:44 PM by cacoe »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2021, 08:01:58 PM »

My thoughts too were crosstalk, but presumably Cacoe should be seeing a similar loss on his Sky router when the IDNet router is plugged in and operational.  Is that the case, Cacoe?

That depends if the test has been done in reverse with the other line synced first.  I also think it can behave unexpectedly between the two, if one of the lines is better quality than the other so the signal overall is coming through cleaner despite crosstalk.

Example being my Zen line has always had better statistics than the Plusnet one, presumably the pair it uses back to the cabinet are in better condition somehow.  Or the port I'm using on the DSLAM is somehow working better.  Things are never quite as predictable as you expect them to be.  I guess we forget there are manufacturing tolerances that can unexpectedly make a bigger difference.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

cacoe

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2021, 08:02:55 PM »

Oh might have forgot to mention, BOTH lines are syncing at 27mbit now... with a similar crazy high SNR

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2021, 09:01:05 PM »

Oh might have forgot to mention, BOTH lines are syncing at 27mbit now... with a similar crazy high SNR

That definitely seems more than just crosstalk then.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bkehoe

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2021, 09:08:06 AM »

Perhaps a symptom of what has seemed from the thread a lot of resetting, swapping of routers, etc resulting in DLM banding both of them now?

cacoe

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2021, 09:22:44 AM »

Could very well be, not going to deny it but i've tried my best to leave good amount of time before DSL goes down for any reason on either line when this has happened.

Still doesn't explain why each induvidual line seems to be affecting the other quite drastically when unplugged.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2021, 10:00:37 AM »

So will the OR engineer coming out on behalf of SKY be disconnecting the IDNET to fix the SKY connection?

cacoe

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2021, 01:16:14 PM »

So will the OR engineer coming out on behalf of SKY be disconnecting the IDNET to fix the SKY connection?

It's funny you say that because he confirmed that there was a problem locally with the two lines interfering with each other, he was seeing the same drastic SNR changes with his equipment that I was seeing when unplugging the devices.

So seeing as I found IDNet to be the worst out of the two providers, yes, I did just ask him to disconnect that socket to avoid any further interference with the Sky socket which has had a DSLAM reset.

Sky currently running at 49000kbit, SNR of 6.2

IDNet are dead to me lol.

He said if I'd planned to keep both lines active, he would have had to spend more time on it but was quite happy to just disconnect one of the lines at my request. IDnet are aware.

He wasn't actually quite sure why the 2nd line had caused problems on the first (and the other way around), hypothesised perhaps it was related to SoGEA lines having a differing characteristics (power going through them) - Tbh there where points where I understood what he was saying, and others where it was going over my head but ultimately, I'm back to square one, which is a better place than I had been along the way :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 01:23:42 PM by cacoe »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2021, 01:43:15 PM »

As the OR Engineer was there on behalf of SKY, that's not surprising.

So the next step should to log a Total Loss of Service with IDNET and request a Special Faults Investigation Engineer.
Or alternatively cancel the IDNET SOGEA entirely

cacoe

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2021, 02:24:13 PM »

Oh, it wasn't like it was his idea, what I mean to say is, I went out of my way to ask if he was able to do this seeing as he was out on behalf of Sky, it was purely my suggestion despite the fact he was probably quite happy that he didn't have to go any deeper than disconnecting the SoGEA line.

Already requested cancellation with IDNet, would have been interesting to find out what the root cause of the issue was but ultimately, it's all probably stressed me out more than it should have, better to go back to how it was prior to the change.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2021, 09:56:05 PM »

So seeing as I found IDNet to be the worst out of the two providers, yes, I did just ask him to disconnect that socket to avoid any further interference with the Sky socket which has had a DSLAM reset.

Surely it can't interfere if the router/modem is switched off so that was completely unnecessary?

cacoe

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2021, 10:16:42 PM »

Probably not but seeing as I was cancelling anyway and thus no need for the second line because of that, the engineer just did a DLM reset, why would I want to risk anything related to the new line compromising my first line at this point? Just precautionary more than anything.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything