Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Few questions about a new line with IDNET - FTTC  (Read 5367 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Few questions about a new line with IDNET - FTTC
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2021, 07:51:22 PM »

I'm afraid I ditched my tplinks before the full 'hack' was found, so its not anything I ever tried, but to me that looks like you just have the TPL interface rather than the BCM CLI. 

Personally I'm a fan of the Zyxels - particularly the VMG8324/8924 modems, so I'm not the best person to give advice on the TPLs.

The Zyxels can sometimes be picked up cheap on ebay where I see there's currently one for 72p and another for £2.50.   They are getting a bit old now, but I always end up going back to mine which I bought new several years ago - purely because of its filter in the B10A series which make them rock steady on my line which can be problematic with noise bursts. 
If I were in the market for a brand new modem/router and money was no object I'd probably try the new ASUS with the BCM chipset (wouldnt touch any of their others with a bargepole).  Failing that I'd still go back to one of the Zyxels, in fact I pickedup another as a spare just in case mine fell over.

I don't really like recommending because IMO there appears to be a shortage of decent new combined units with both a good modem chipset and router (wifi) capabilities....  which is the reason why many on here use separate units. 

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

cacoe

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2021, 10:36:26 AM »

I take it when you referenced those particular models, you're speaking using them strictly as modems only? (In that on paper their WiFi seems a bit on the weak side)

Hardware whether it's a new graphics card, processor or even microwave seems an absolute nightmare to source at the moment.

I'm finding it a bit odd that my idnet line has settled at precisely 40mbit despite being told it was set to the 80mbit profile, it could just be a coincidence but it makes you wonder.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2021, 11:00:51 AM »

@cacoe

It's sounding like IDNET have a product profiling issue on their platform.

Talktalk had a similar issue the other month, customers who ordered 80/20 were being put on 40/10 products at Openreach end.

Both of the vmg8x24 that @kitz mentioned went for pretty high prices on eBay last night, £5.50 and £7.50 respectively.

cacoe

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2021, 11:59:36 AM »

LOL - I should have probably grabbed one while they were up. Having said that I did a search and saw a couple that were going for substantially more than suggested, maybe more bids had taken place. I'll have to keep an eye out. Having said that, strongly considering just going 4g, I've been watching speedtests on my oneplus 7 like a hawk and seem to get between 50-100mbit consistently. Crap pings but it's to be expected.

I feel like it's quite a risk though, would probably keep the vdsl line active regardless. I think for having a connection that is usually at least double the speed of the copper line, it's probs worth it for just £22 a month on top of what I'm already paying.

On the matter of incorrect profiling, what could I say to IDnet to convince them to do something? (Like literally word for word so I actually sound like I know what I'm talking about) - actual info on this sort of thing (although kitz is a fantastic source of information) it's not like picking up info on other topics like computer building/repair, there's an almost seemingly mystical nature to it all where DLM is god and no one truly understands how it works lol

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2021, 03:13:36 PM »

Your sync speed is higher than 40Mbps, so that rules out you being incorrectly profiled on a 40 Mbps product

The last stats provided showed you have a significant number of errors, particularly downstream - 91062 in 15 hours 15 minutes equates to 6000 errors per hour or 100 every minute.

The fact that you are on a 5.1 downstream margin suggests that you are on a Huawei cabinet and G.INP is kicking in.

Being on an ECI cabinet, I don't have any experience of G.IMP and don't know what to advise, but it seems that your sync speed is limited by the number of errors you are seeing.

There are much better experts than me on here, so I will let them comment further ...

cacoe

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2021, 04:15:37 PM »

Quite a substantial update, can't post the stats fully because I'm working, but I just thought... What happens if I unplug my sky router? The engineer fitting the new socket just grabbed a spare pair from a bundle already coming up to my property and trailed it to a new socket next to the original (the two sockets are virtually touching with the new pair running between them from the original socket). SNR immediately shot up to 9.8dB and max rate went up to 58mbit. Deffo going to be monitoring this but considering there's been quite a considerable improvement in doing this... Is it pointing to a slightly dodgy install of the new line?

About an hour has passed an not a single extra error has been logged either...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 05:09:12 PM by cacoe »

cacoe

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2021, 07:36:57 PM »

OK, so the router decided to resync and -
Code: [Select]
Line Status:
Connected
DSL Up Time:
0 days 0 hours 27 minutes
DSL Modulation Type:
VDSL2
Annex Type:
Annex A
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (kbps) 12551 27632
Max Rate (kbps) 12551 58171
SNR Margin (dB) 6.6 16.3
Line Attenuation (dB) 3.2 15.9
Errors (pkts) 2 3

Plugged in the Sky router on the 1st line again and the Max rate goes to around 40mbps, SNR goes to 12db.

Unplugged the Sky route and Max rate back to 58mbit, SNR 16.3

???

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2021, 08:50:32 PM »

@cacoe this is going to sound crazy but if you plug a corded phone into either line and do the quiet line test, dial 17070, can you hear noise?

cacoe

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2021, 08:57:20 PM »

I'd love to, however I don't own one, also the new line is SoGEA, so I assume this wouldn't work on that line?

Granted still, I'd try this on the old one if possible.

Maybe buying a wired landline phone should be the next step however, they're two seperate lines, if everything is going well, unplugging router A shouldn't make a plain bit of difference to router B, right?

Wired landline phone ordered, this is gonna leave me broke at this rate lol  :D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 09:01:14 PM by cacoe »

cacoe

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2021, 11:46:45 PM »

So after spending far more time than should have been needed to both A) get into telnet properly and B) find the right command to show router stats  (who would have thought it'd be cat /proc/tc3162/adsl_stats)  I have the following more comprehensive stats -

ADSL link status: up

Opmode: ITU G.993.2(VDSL2), G.998.4(G.INP DS ONLY)TPSTC type: 64/65B PTM TC

near-end interleaved channel bit rate: 27632 kbps
near-end fast channel bit rate: 0 kbps
far-end interleaved channel bit rate: 0 kbps
far-end fast channel bit rate: 12551 kbps

near-end FEC error fast: 0
near-end FEC error interleaved: 99345
near-end CRC error fast: 0
near-end CRC error interleaved: 3
near-end HEC error fast: 0
near-end HEC error interleaved: 0
far-end FEC error fast: 54
far-end FEC error interleaved: 0
far-end CRC error fast: 20
far-end CRC error interleaved: 0
far-end HEC error fast: 0
far-end HEC error interleaved: 0
ADSL activetime :0 min, 15 secs

Downstream:
relative capacity occupation: 100%
noise margin downstream: 15.9 dB
output power upstream: 6.9 dbm
attenuation downstream: 15.9 dB

Upstream:
relative capacity occupation: 100%
noise margin upstream: 6.6 dB
output power downstream: 11.1 dbm
attenuation upstream: 3.2 dB

Bit table:
carrier load: number of bits per tone
tone   0- 31: 00 00 00 06 78 89 99 99 99 99 99 98 88 77 76 43
tone  32- 63: 26 66 65 55 55 66 66 77 78 78 88 99 9a aa aa aa
tone  64- 95: ab bb bb bb bb bc bb bb ba bb ba bb bb ba ba aa
tone  96-127: a9 aa aa aa bb bb bb bb aa 9a aa ba bb bb bb ba
tone 128-159: 9b a9 a9 aa 9a ab 9a 9a aa aa aa 9a aa 9a 99 aa
tone 160-191: a9 99 a9 99 a8 a9 99 aa 99 a8 89 aa 99 a8 9a a9
tone 192-223: 89 89 a9 a9 89 a9 9a 99 8a 99 99 a9 89 94 99 99
tone 224-255: 99 99 99 99 89 99 99 8a 99 99 a9 8a a8 99 9a 89

near end itu identification: 26005443434e5a06
far end itu identification: b5004244434dc189
attain upstream: 12551
attain downstream: 57799

ADSL activetime second: 15
ADSL total ativetime second: 15
ATURANSIRev: 0
ATUCANSIRev: 0
ATURANSIStd: 0
ATUCANSIStd: 0
Interleave Depth: 8

atur chan interleave delay: 0
atur chan prev tx rate: 12551 kbps
atur chan curr tx rate: 12551 kbps
atur chan crc block len: 0
Adsl Standard: VDSL2
Adsl Type: ANNEX_B

Take away - It looks like G.IMP is on, downstream is interleaved.

Funnily enough the chipset seems like it is a Mediatek (source - https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/MediaTek) and not a Broadcom afterall -

# cat proc cpuinfo
system type             : EcoNet EN751221 SOC
processor               : 0
cpu model               : MIPS 34Kc V5.8
BogoMIPS                : 598.01
wait instruction        : yes
microsecond timers      : yes
tlb_entries             : 64
extra interrupt vector  : yes
hardware watchpoint     : yes, count: 4, address/irw mask: [0x0ffc, 0x0ffc, 0x0ff8, 0x0ffb]
ASEs implemented        : mips16 dsp mt
shadow register sets    : 1
core                    : 0
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available

So here's the scenario -
I have my IDNet router connected without the Sky router plugged in or powered on. At no point have I done anything with the IDNet router other than gather stats, it's stayed plugged in constantly.

The relevent stats on the IDNet router are (actual sync speeds stayed consistently low at 27926 kbps downstream)  -

near-end FEC error interleaved: 48

Downstream:
noise margin downstream: 15.7 dB
output power upstream: 5.4 dbm

Upstream:
noise margin upstream: 6.7 dB
output power downstream: 11.3 dbm
attenuation upstream: 3.1 dB

attain upstream: 11464
attain downstream: 59387

I now plug in the Sky router into my original socket and wait two mins for DSL to connect and check stats on the IDNet router again -

near-end FEC error interleaved: 16541

Downstream:
noise margin downstream: 11.6 dB

Upstream:
noise margin upstream: 5.7 dB
output power downstream: 11.0 dbm

attain upstream: 11208
attain downstream: 49843

So I unplug the Sky router once more and the stats are as follows -

near-end FEC error interleaved: 23695

Downstream:
noise margin downstream: 15.3 dB

Upstream:
noise margin upstream: 6.7 dB
output power downstream: 11.0 dbm

attain upstream: 11505
attain downstream: 58759

So while the Sky router is connected to socket A and IDnet is connected to socket B SNR on socket A drops, attainable downstream also drops about 10mbit.

Couple of mins after disconnecting the Sky router from socket A, FEC error rate reduced substantially.

I don't get it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 12:31:33 AM by cacoe »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2021, 05:35:06 AM »

So while the Sky router is connected to socket A and IDnet is connected to socket B SNR on socket A drops, attainable downstream also drops about 10mbit.

Couple of mins after disconnecting the Sky router from socket A, FEC error rate reduced substantially.

I don't get it.

Losing 10Mbit is not entirely uncommon from a new users DSL coming online causing crosstalk with your line.  It seems you may be in the unfortunate situation where the line coming online causing crosstalk, is your own second line. :(
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 05:37:47 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2021, 06:47:50 AM »

Funnily enough the chipset seems like it is a Mediatek (source - https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/MediaTek) and not a Broadcom afterall

No, the device referred to in the output of the command "cat /proc/cpuinfo" is the processor used by the operating system. The DSL chipset is a separate set of devices (in the same way as most computers have a separate graphics processor which is independent of the operating system). Your DSL chipset is Broadcom.
  Eric

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2021, 08:08:48 AM »

Losing 10Mbit is not entirely uncommon from a new users DSL coming online causing crosstalk with your line.  It seems you may be in the unfortunate situation where the line coming online causing crosstalk, is your own second line. :(

My thoughts too were crosstalk, but presumably Cacoe should be seeing a similar loss on his Sky router when the IDNet router is plugged in and operational.  Is that the case, Cacoe?

cacoe

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2021, 09:24:26 AM »

The sky router is extremely limited in terms of line stats so it's hard to say with as much certainty. Wired phone coming later so I will at the very least be able to do a quiet line test on the sky line.

On speaking to IDNet and telling them literally everything so far,they keep coming back to "well, if you want a BT Openreach engineer to come out, then you can but if there isn't a fault then they will charge you".

Isn't getting substantially lower sync speeds than quoted an indicator to most ISPs of a line fault? SNR of 16dB? Max rate of 60mbps, actual rate of 27mbit. Quoted 44-63mbit to start with.

cacoe

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2021, 09:28:32 AM »

"Losing 10Mbit is not entirely uncommon from a new users DSL coming online causing crosstalk with your line.  It seems you may be in the unfortunate situation where the line coming online causing crosstalk, is your own second line. "

How long until I see an improvement from unplugging the Sky router though? Does the cross talk still happen despite this? Surely not?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything