Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Which G-Fast modem for a non-technical user?  (Read 2707 times)

afrofish

• Just arrived
Which G-Fast modem for a non-technical user?
« on: April 08, 2021, 02:29:47 PM »

Hey all,

I have moved house and switching to BT's G-Fast service, with a 150mb connection and looking to use my own ASUS mesh network.

I have been told I will have issues connecting my ASUS router to the BT hub and was advised by the BT Community forum to ask you folks for some recommendations.

Should I take a second-hand Openreach G-Fast modem (off ebay etc), or a new Draytech 160? Or anything else?

I am fairly comfortable with standard technology, but little if any experience with modems and associated setup. So whilst always keen to learn, beyond standard security and a decent connection performance, I won't need to tinker or play around with any advanced settings.

Thoughts welcomed! Thanks in advance.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Which G-Fast modem for a non-technical user?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 03:59:32 PM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

I have moved house and switching to BT's G-Fast service, with a 150mb connection and looking to use my own ASUS mesh network.

I have been told I will have issues connecting my ASUS router to the BT hub and was advised by the BT Community forum to ask you folks for some recommendations.

Should I take a second-hand Openreach G-Fast modem (off ebay etc), or a new Draytech 160?

As you just need a simple modem (to bridge the "gap" between G.Fast and Ethernet frames) and are happy to use your existing router/firewall/wap/etc I would suggest either one of the two Openreach branded modems that can be purchased via eBay (for example).

As the Draytek Vigor 166 (caution, a 20 page topic) works for some members but is somewhat problematic for others, I would advise against that model.

Perhaps other members will be able to make suggestions . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 05:11:06 PM »

I could suggest a DrayTek Vigor 166 as I'm using it since two days with my G.fast on Pulse8 (TalkTalk) and it's working fine, but your post title says "non-technical user", so probably you could use the Openreach modem: should they give you the Openreach modem or just the BT hub?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 05:16:29 PM by hushcoden »

afrofish

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 05:51:52 PM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

As you just need a simple modem (to bridge the "gap" between G.Fast and Ethernet frames) and are happy to use your existing router/firewall/wap/etc I would suggest either one of the two Openreach branded modems that can be purchased via eBay (for example).

As the Draytek Vigor 166 (caution, a 20 page topic) works for some members but is somewhat problematic for others, I would advise against that model.

Perhaps other members will be able to make suggestions . . .

Thank you that’s helpful. I scanned through the previous post on this one and it did seem a bit hit and mush. Thanks, I may well do the openreach route.

afrofish

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 05:53:07 PM »

I could suggest a DrayTek Vigor 166 as I'm using it since two days with my G.fast on Pulse8 (TalkTalk) and it's working fine, but your post title says "non-technical user", so probably you could use the Openreach modem: should they give you the Openreach modem or just the BT hub?

Understood, thanks!

I’ve been informed the openreach modem is now discontinued, so will need to source myself. Which I may well do.

Thanks for the tips

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 07:13:35 PM »

Understood, thanks!

I’ve been informed the openreach modem is now discontinued, so will need to source myself. Which I may well do.

Thanks for the tips

Welcome to the forum, the openreach gfast modem is not discontinued, had an install of one this week.

afrofish

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 07:40:10 PM »

Welcome to the forum, the openreach gfast modem is not discontinued, had an install of one this week.

Oh that’s interesting and good to hear thank you!

Did you request it or is that what they provided you with?

Best
Chris

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 08:58:39 PM »

Oh that’s interesting and good to hear thank you!

Did you request it or is that what they provided you with?

Best
Chris

Requested at point of order, had them provided for the last dozen installs of g.fast.

I work for a business communications provider.

afrofish

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 08:43:34 AM »

Requested at point of order, had them provided for the last dozen installs of g.fast.

I work for a business communications provider.

Okay, thanks I will call and ask today.

Cheers!

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 03:58:13 PM »

Understood, thanks!

Thanks for the tips

It can't be discontinued.

OpenReach still offer a managed install with modem provided.

Many ISP's don't have their own G.Fast modem and if you pick 1 of those providers then the OpenReach engineer will provide a locked OpenReach G.Fast modem.

That's the device I would recommend you use. It's plug and play.

If you picked BT you will get a BT Smart Hub with a build in G.Fast modem.
There's no option to request an OpenReach modem from BT.

You could ask the engineer for 1 but that depends on the engineer.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 04:00:39 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

afrofish

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 08:43:51 AM »

Hey all,

Thank you for your help. I thought I'd share an update to help anyone in similar situation.

I did receive a HomeHub2 which would not work with any non BT router/mesh system. I then bought an Openreach GFast modem off eBay.

When Openreach turned up, I mentioned I wanted to setup using my Openreach modem and turns out he had loads in the van and gave me a brand new one! The engineer was shocked that Gfast modems go for circa £100 on eBay as he has loads in the van and they happily give them out to anyone who asks!

Now happy with the setup (Openreach Gfast Modem an Asus Zen Wifi AImesh). Thank you everyone for your help!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 06:08:31 PM »

Now happy with the setup (Openreach Gfast Modem an Asus Zen Wifi AImesh). Thank you everyone for your help!

Thank you for your update. I'm pleased to know that you now have a satisfactory solution in situ.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

smallal

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 10:47:15 PM »

Just as a footnote regarding the comments about the Vigor 166 being a bit flaky, it may be true for VDSL but with G.Fast it works well.
Mine is solid on G.Fast & when I tested it against the Openreach MT992 it achieved a faster sync speed on both up & download.
Just make sure you buy a UK model (V166-K) which has UK specific firmware (EU models can't be flashed with UK firmware!)
It's tweaked to be 'plug & play' on BT & has been certified for use on their network by Openreach.