Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: G.fast microfilter  (Read 2101 times)

hushcoden

• Reg Member
G.fast microfilter
« on: April 07, 2021, 08:25:36 AM »

My G.fast line went live yesterday afternoon and so far so good  :fingers:

The master socket 5C is on a closet while the modem/router is in the living room (I assume the builder made some sort of extension from the master socket to the living room).

The OR engineer wanted to install a new G.fast faceplate (here the details) but before we tried with my current setup, that is a G.fast microfilter and it worked  ::)

I was wondering if anyone on G.fast using that specific new faceplate could share his/her own experience - I'd really like to stay this way...

Tia.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: G.fast microfilter
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 08:31:45 AM »

AFAIK it makes zero difference.  All a microfilter does is limit only the voice tones to the BT phone socket, in that respect any good DSL microfilter will work fine.

I was using an ADSL filter on VDSL for ages, I only eventually replaced it because it developed a fault.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 10:30:41 AM »

Thanks Alex, so it's safe to say I don't need that new G.fast faceplate, I won't gain speed or anything else...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 10:37:52 AM by hushcoden »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 10:43:31 AM »

The G.Fast faceplate might make a small difference if the REIN and common-mode noise elements have been optimised for G.Fast. Another thing, if you don't have a phone plugged into the current microfilter then you don't actually need it there at all.
 :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 10:49:45 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

anything