Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: G.fast/telephone extension socket conundrum  (Read 4131 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: G.fast/telephone extension socket conundrum
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2021, 11:56:26 PM »

Hmm, after a little searching EASRM was found tucked away at the end of Chapel Lane . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2021, 09:11:24 AM »

So I do not actually know for certain where the line enters the property, frustratingly. There are no other entry points for cables anywhere else on the outside of the house, with the exception of that shown in the first image. Any ideas?

@Black Sheep - no, I have not had a DSL service while living there. The previous occupants might have though. Is there any way of telling?

My word - you almost have your own telephone exchange there, mate ... with all that wiring !!

We do have systems that would tell us if you're premises has had DSL service before but I wouldn't be comfortable accessing them, TBH. The service providers will have a record though, I'm sure of that ... perhaps j0hn (a member on here), might know ??

Without being on-site and/or having the benefit of seeing exactly what the G.Fast engineer did, or didn't do ... I do feel you've maybe be somewhat short-changed in the installation process. Of course, keyboard-warrior style it is very easy to draw conclusions that may be incorrect ??
But, I would be straight back onto your ISP requesting another visit to remove what could be an awful lot of star-wiring (extension socket tee-off's) in the DP, NTTP, BT66 or any elsewhere ??.

In days of yore, pre-DSL frequencies, we'd use any means at our disposal to 'patch' through dial-tone using spare wires, teeing-in etc ..... your whole set-up needs looking at in detail, I'm afraid. 

grav412

• Just arrived
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2021, 09:48:46 AM »

@Black Sheep Thank you. The second the engineer said 'this should be a straightforward job' I knew we were in for some trouble... I certainly would not want to suggest that the engineer didn't do a proper/complete job. It is more the fact that he didn't look at any of this wiring/where the line came into the house and I didn't explain the situation properly to him either so he didn't have all the facts. It seems the set-up is much more complex than he or I thought.

OR are sending a line engineer on Friday to have a look at the set-up. I am hopeful that this might at least shed some more light on what is going on. I suppose whether or not they can/are permitted to rectify the situation is another matter entirely...

On a related note - I have noticed that the engineer left the G.fast faceplate on the socket he tried to install the G.fast into - even though we are now back on normal FTTC. Any idea if this is an issue please?

I am very grateful for the continued help of everyone on this forum.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2021, 10:36:34 AM »

@grav412  The G.Fast faceplate will be fine for FTTC, it's not really any different. Just for interest do you know your sync speeds on FTTC, if you are not getting full 80/20 Mbps speeds you will struggle to get G.Fast. Of course your enormous amount of telephone wiring may be a big factor, let's hope the next engineer can improve things for you. :)

grav412

• Just arrived
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2021, 10:49:39 AM »

@RealAleMadrid - thanks, that's good to hear.

Currently getting 74/14. Certainly not bad, but it will be interesting to see how much the current set-up is affecting the speed.

I am happy to accept not being able to get G.fast, especially as our distance from the cabinet seems to be borderline anyway, but I don't feel we've made all reasonable efforts to improve the line yet. Fingers crossed...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:52:09 AM by grav412 »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2021, 11:05:06 AM »

@RealAleMadrid - thanks, that's good to hear.

Currently getting 74/14. Certainly not bad, but it will be interesting to see how much the current set-up is affecting the speed.

I am happy to accept not being able to get G.fast, especially as our distance from the cabinet seems to be borderline anyway, but I don't feel we've made all reasonable efforts to improve the line yet. Fingers crossed...

Hmmmm - so you HAVE got a DSL service at your premises then. By DSL, we mean any kind of broadband product available currently, or historically ... not simply G.Fast.

Apologies for not explaining the terminology better in previous replies.

If you are getting 74/14 on FTTC, then there won't be that much more affecting your service inside your premises, if at all anything. But, let's see what the Friday visit throws up for you ??

grav412

• Just arrived
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2021, 11:31:42 AM »

@Black Sheep - apologies - completely misunderstood!

I suppose the other question is perhaps whether the DP210 and NTTP boxes/the BT66/something else on the line could have somehow prevented the G.fast from finishing its journey? The engineer did say that he was unable to get any signal from the cabinet when he installed the socket. On reflection, I took that to mean 'the speed is not fast enough due to being too far away' rather than there was actually no signal from the cabinet going to the socket whatsoever.

The only other sort of connection or box that I can see is this one - where the line enters the house:

https://ibb.co/vQLyHQ1

Is this conventional/a potential issue please?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 04:10:18 PM »

The only other sort of connection or box that I can see is this one - where the line enters the house:

https://ibb.co/vQLyHQ1

Is this conventional/a potential issue please?

That looks like a standard Block Terminal which shouldn't be a problem. However I'm not sure if a BT80B RF3 would significantly affect a G.Fast service.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 05:43:40 PM »

Presumably there could still be some benefit from obtaining G.fast at these speeds?

The engineer said the socket was 364m of cabling from the cabinet. Where all of the cabling that supplies this socket goes is unclear - but if there was in excess of 50m of perhaps 'unnecessary' cabling, I would not be surprised considering how much is around the edge of the house and the fact that it seems to go through the roof.

G.Fast has a maximum range around 350m (on a good clean line) but this can be quite a bit less on some lines.

Your estimates place you on the very edge of G.Fast range.
You don't get estimates much lower than that.
Properties a little further away just get no estimates at all.

With you being on the edge of potential availability OpenReach allow the product to be ordered and during installation if it doesn't meet a minimum threshold then install will be cancelled.
As above I believe that minimum is 100Mb.

It sounds like the engineer wasn't able to obtain a connection (sync) at all, which is not surprising at 364m long.

Even with improvements in the internal wiring you may be out of range.

If you do manage to get a G.Fast connection near the bottom end of your estimates it is very likely that any small increase in downstream will be accompanied by a drop in upstream speed.
Your current 74/14 might end up around 100/7.
Is more Downstream worth almost halving upstream?

I'd throw a wild guess that you're just out of range.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: 1 [2]

anything