Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Computer Says You Can NOT Have FTTP, Great !.  (Read 5945 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
The Computer Says You Can NOT Have FTTP, Great !.
« on: April 06, 2021, 09:00:21 PM »

Being a loyal customer of Eclipse ISP now  Kcom ISP for 20 plus years on ADSL then ADSL2, I have been talking to them about FTTP coming to our village for some time now, Being by told BT Openreach our village FTTP PON's are all 'Lit Up' and tested and ready to order, after some two months wait while Covid went down around here, I placed my order last week via one of the managers I have been in touch with about speeds and pricing etc.

Getting an email this morning I was excited to find out when the installation was going to happen, But that was not to be.

We are sorry you Can NOT Order FTTP as you were once an Eclipse customer .. 
What the  >:D  >:( >:D  >:(

'My Heart Sank'.   :(

I sent an email to Kcom's CEO to ask what's going on.

I know a lot of you will say go to another ISP.

My Problem, Between all my 'Users' on our accounts we have Hundreds of emails with different people, Firms, Hotels etc, etc. yes I know you can get free email address, it would be a daunting task to change them all, also I have other free websites hosting and 40 hrs of free phone calls as well with Eclipse-Kcom

The easy thing to do was to stop with Kcom as we need port 25 to get the emails though a email browser.

My plan was to Get FTTP from Kcom, Stop the ADSL" service then once it's all working ok to get VOIP and that would mean I could also get rid of the BT landline, total saving for both around £702 per year.

It now looks like I might have to keep the BT phone line and the ADSL2 service, then Also go with another FTTP supplier.

So one ADSL2 Kcom with fixed IP address's
Also one FTTP from another ISP also with fixed IP address's.....Hows that going to work ?

This is going to more than double the costs to get a decent internet service.  :o

With my Own CBT in the manhole near our farm gates with Two lit up ports BT Openreach made it an easy 1 step connection job, The only thing stopping me getting a good internet connection is Kcom.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: The Computer Says You Can NOT Have FTTP, Great !.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 07:15:32 AM »

Surely if you got FTTP while ADSL was still active it would effectively be a new account so you couldn't necessarily transfer all your old accounts stuff over anyway?  Or am I misunderstanding how all this works?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 09:14:51 AM »

I know it's not much consolation, but the issue with being stuck to an ISP because of your email is exactly why I changed all of mine to gmail many years ago. Yes it was painful having to change the email address with lots of companies, but you only have to do it once and then the issue is gone. Some ISPs do allow you to continue using their email if you are no longer a customer, sometimes for a fee, but looking at your thread from a couple of years ago - https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,23154.0.html - it appears that Kcom are very restrictive with how you can use their email services and that likely wouldn't be an option.
If it were me I'd take the one time painful hit for the freedom of choice in the future.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 09:39:12 AM »

If it were me I'd take the one time painful hit for the freedom of choice in the future.

Especially as these are value-added features and they could decide to withdraw them at any time.  Better to change now at your own leisure, then potentially be forced into it later with an unknown deadline.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 10:28:49 AM »

As above, bite the bullet and start migrating all your emails etc. You've fallen into a trap that many do, and it can only get worse, what would happen if they decided to no longer have an email service?

I was lucky and registered my own domain name very early on, and used that to setup forwarding addresses to my ISP, then a few years ago setting up proper hosted email was very straight forward.

Register you're own domain name, you can then use that with any email service provider, which gives you almost total control. There is a user on here that offers a very good deal for forum members, sorry can't remember his username, pretty sure his name is John though.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 12:09:44 PM »

I second John (d2d4j) as well, he had me setup and running within a day after my last ISP decided to drop personal domains >:(. I can PM his number/email to you if you wish.
He is very nice to chat to, no problem getting you going if things go pear shaped  ;) I do have a Gmail address as well to act as a safety net to my accounts.
I love the flexibility to create personalised emails for the family. And you only have to do this once... it's time to rip the plaster off ;D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 12:15:41 PM by parkdale »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 12:43:54 PM »

I second John (d2d4j)

I would add my vote for that solution. Great organisation, good product and ever so helpful
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 05:26:09 PM »

+ 5 for John!
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 05:58:31 PM »

and a vote from me as well, +6!
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 08:38:30 PM »

Update, My email to the CEO has got an investigation going on at Eclipse-Kcom (Business) isp, I have got a fibre upgrade button on my account settings and never pressed it till today as one of the managers was putting the upgrade order though, It showed what services could be had at our address FTTP was one of them but did not seemed to be linked in to upgrade to it.
It could just be a Data glitch, I have never had any problems that could not be sorted out with Kcom, they are not the cheapest though.

I hear what you say about emails, Yes I know about John.
I doubt if Kcom would ever do away with emails or domains as they host them on there servers.

We can have 10 emails accounts each now with any amount of 'Aliases' .
  we also have a 'Catch all' on the email system, that's if someone spells  my name wrong and as long as they have 'Domain name' correct eg the bit after the @ it still finds me. very useful, also very useful if I am in a shop and want to send me an email I can just make any email address up like carpet@mydomain.co.uk and it finds me .

I also do have my own domain name if I wanted to use if for emails.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 09:50:21 PM »

None of that is hard to setup but the problem with catch-alls is you get a lot more spam that way, its advised to avoid them for that reason.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 12:26:37 AM »

As standard John's system allows 50 mailboxes, including a catch all.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 12:43:03 AM »

Either buy your own domain or use a long stable email provider such as gmail.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 12:06:32 PM »

Whether you get the FTTP issue sorted with KCom or not I'd still be seriously looking to move away from their email service. At present you are effectively locked to them and I'm sure they know that in the pricing they offer to you.
It is a big pain to sort but in the long run I don't think you'll regret doing it.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything